Hey Phreak can you teach me how to pronounce Nee-Duh-Lee

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Fallen0Reality

Senior Recruiter

11-01-2013

I have to agree that many of the champion names do not fit proper pronunciation. Sure, Riot created the characters and get to decide how it is pronounced, but when a majority of players disagree with it, it might be fit to change it. Of course, it's up to Riot.

Taric, Shyvana, Darius, and Anivia are also champions I hear pronounced two different ways, with neither seemingly being the most preferred. I think some of the reasons we have this problem is that:

1. They do not fit into regular or expected English pronunciations,
2. Riot employees themselves do not always adhere to their own pronunciations, and
3. Besides the Champion Spotlight, there are few places to find the 'proper' pronunciations.

It would be neat if they implemented a sound-file into each Champion's Page in the client with each voice actor saying that champion's name. It could be a button next to the champion's name.

(By the way, I'll admit I am a pronunciation nut, but I refuse to call her Need-a-Lee.)

Grrglsplat

11-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nsaneone View Post
Because they do. The phonetics do not support that pronunciation.
There's a big difference between phonetics - which can tell you exactly how to pronounce a word - and phonics, which is a simple tool that oversimplifies the written language in an attempt to help new readers learn how to read. What you're attempting to do is take a phonics-style reading of the letter-combination and enforce that as an unbending rule. That doesn't work. Phonics is imperfect and unreliable. It will often lead you astray.

How do you pronounce "read"?

An 'i' can be pronounced many different ways. Ski, skis. String, stringy, stringier. Pie. Pier. Crispier. Even the same 4-letter combination, 'pier', has two different pronunciations; pier by itself is a single syllable ("peer"), and it's two syllables in crispier ("cris-pee-er").

But sure! Use phonics to tell them they're wrong about their own name!

CerealBoxOfDoom

11-01-2013

in amurkah its nee-dill-ee

Splendid Cake

11-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirrimax View Post
glad to see this is what the forums have come to
This is what they were for the first few years. Shaco/Veigar pronunciation threads all the god damn time.

JacksonSolo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grrglsplat View Post
There's a big difference between phonetics - which can tell you exactly how to pronounce a word - and phonics, which is a simple tool that oversimplifies the written language in an attempt to help new readers learn how to read. What you're attempting to do is take a phonics-style reading of the letter-combination and enforce that as an unbending rule. That doesn't work. Phonics is imperfect and unreliable. It will often lead you astray.

How do you pronounce "read"?

An 'i' can be pronounced many different ways. Ski, skis. String, stringy, stringier. Pie. Pier. Crispier. Even the same 4-letter combination, 'pier', has two different pronunciations; pier by itself is a single syllable ("peer"), and it's two syllables in crispier ("cris-pee-er").

But sure! Use phonics to tell them they're wrong about their own name!
I suppose that seems fair enough. But can anyone provide an example of when a "consonant - 'i' - consonant" is pronounced as a long "e"

Gløry

11-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonSolo View Post
I suppose that seems fair enough. But can anyone provide an example of when a "consonant - 'i' - consonant" is pronounced as a long "e"
Nihilism's alternate pronunciation. Arguably correct since in latin nihi would have been pronounced with a long e sound.

also Elite, elitism, etc. But you could argue the e 'helps out.' This is another Latin thing here (by way of french this time)

However, Nidalee does not have any latin roots.

Aeolian Melodies

11-01-2013

I've always said "Nee-dah-lee".

But then again it's like the French pronunciation, so I might be wrong.

Grrglsplat

11-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonSolo View Post
There's an example in my post. Skis.

Gløry

11-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grrglsplat View Post
There's an example in my post. Skis.
I don't think pluralization really counts. the word is ski. the fact that an 's' pluralizes it is incidental to its pronunciation

L0RD 0f P3NGU1N5

11-01-2013

If Riot asked us the best way to spell "Nee-Duh-Lee", I'm pretty sure it's "Nee-Duh-Lee". Case Closed.