PLEASE move the honor/ignore button on the Victory/Defeat screen

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Denebius

10-31-2013

I am seriously concerned that I'm not going to enjoy The Harrowing nearly as much as I had hoped as a result of this poor design.

Background : My fiancee and I have played this game for well over a year together. We play the vast majority of our games together. We were excited about The Harrowing this year because they were releasing some legacy skins that wouldn't otherwise be available. When we found out about Mystery Gifting, we got SUPER excited! We can basically throw money at our monitors and BOOM, a mystery gift, maybe a skin we'll use, maybe not, maybe a really epic one! Who knows?! That's a huge part of the fun, and the idea of Mystery gifting sounded great to us.

So The Harrowing begins... and wouldn't you know it... a couple of days prior, in the post-game screen, my fiancee accidentally hit the mute/ignore button while trying to honor me after the game. Result? She had unintentionally de-friended me, which, upon refriending, which happened as soon as we discovered it, forces us to wait 2 weeks to gift each other. Of course, we only discovered this once we tried to mystery gift, which was after the Harrowing had begun. And since the event runs 2 weeks, and you have to wait precisely that long before you can gift, we're pretty much going to be unable to participate in this feature, lose out on the fun, RIOT loses out on money... ALL because of poor layout design (and, fully admittedly, a mistaken click on our behalf).

So now you know why I'm mentioning this. Honestly, it's a little ridiculous that RIOT hasn't moved these buttons away from each other already, as I'm sure we're not the first people to deal with this. Under normal circumstances, I probably wouldn't care very much, and simply wait 2 weeks before gifting whatever I wanted to send. Sadly, in this case, due to an honest mistake on my fiancee's behalf and poor button layout design on RIOT's, we might be missing out on the biggest single item that excited us about The Harrowing.

PLEASE fix this, RIOT. There is no good reason for these buttons to be near each other. Separate them to prevent these things from happening.

Thanks for reading.

Vaurnbarn

Platform Engineer

11-01-2013
1 of 3 Riot Posts

I see what you mean. Normally accidentally ignoring someone doesn't have any consequences, but right now it suddenly does, and it's not at all obvious why, or even maybe what happened. Thanks for the suggestion.

Denebius

11-01-2013

Well, I tried to be pretty clear about what happened... at least what we believe happened.

In any event, you're right, usually the accidental ignoring of someone by clicking the mute button is really of no consequence. Like I said, it's actually happened to us in the past, but it was no big deal, we just waited the 2 weeks and then resumed gifting. But, as a special type of gifting is now a part of The Harrowing, this unfortunate accident has put us in a position to miss out on the fun of Mystery Gifting!

I'm working with a customer service ticket to try to see if there's something that can be done, but it's not looking promising thus far.

In any event, I don't see a specific reason why they must be directly next to each other, enabling this sort of error. Perhaps put them 2-3 buttons apart or something, so a misclick results in something less potentially impactful?

Thx for looking at my post, Vaurnbarn.

JaFaR Ironclad

11-01-2013

Simple solution:

Confirmation prompt when you click on the ignore button.

NA Darklarik

11-02-2013

Submit a ticket to support about being able to gift each other, they may be able to help you out. On a side note, i do belive it is very important you always have a lv 15 Smurf that is friend with your account somewhere, never know when it might come in handy.

Denebius

11-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaFaR Ironclad View Post
Simple solution:

Confirmation prompt when you click on the ignore button.
This seems reasonable. Or moving the button, or both. /shrug I like this idea tho. /nod

Denebius

11-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by NA Darklarik View Post
Submit a ticket to support about being able to gift each other, they may be able to help you out. On a side note, i do belive it is very important you always have a lv 15 Smurf that is friend with your account somewhere, never know when it might come in handy.
I did. They basically already rejected it out of hand saying there was simply nothing they could do, sorry, have a nice day... I haven't given up on it, I'm still talking within that ticket. Anyone know if tickets can be escalated to supervisor-types?

I'm totally bummed that we're already losing time on this special event... and no one at RIOT seems interested in helping.

IS1c83d8cd205d29a87e739

11-02-2013

Same here...after two years in the same buddy list, I argued with my friend and I ignore her so I couldnīt hear her angry in a while...later I re-add her and...now we canīt gift skins until two entire weeks? Really necessary? : \

Vaurnbarn

Platform Engineer

11-02-2013
2 of 3 Riot Posts

Maybe ignoring shouldn't remove a friendship? This is a request we get now and then, and I'm always conflicted because it seems more likely that when I block someone I also want them off my friend list. But I guess that's just me. It seems like there are legit use cases for ignoring a friend, and it might be the most straightforward solution to the accidental-ignore-breaks-gifting problem.

Denebius

11-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaurnbarn View Post
Maybe ignoring shouldn't remove a friendship? This is a request we get now and then, and I'm always conflicted because it seems more likely that when I block someone I also want them off my friend list. But I guess that's just me. It seems like there are legit use cases for ignoring a friend, and it might be the most straightforward solution to the accidental-ignore-breaks-gifting problem.
I started a discussion about this in the /r/leagueoflegends subreddit too, and that was just one of the suggestions that came up in there.

I'm not sure that it would really be abusable, because it's just a matter between friends, right? And ignoring them doesn't necessarily mean you don't want them on your friend list... Maybe you just want a few quiet games of ARAM, maybe you don't want to listen to them cause they're on tilt/raging, but you'll still play with them... who knows?

But yeah, I suppose allowing ignore without de-friending would seemingly solve this issue as well.

Thx again for making me feel at least somewhat listened to, Vaurnbarn. Customer service is simply telling me there's nothing they can do... Am I really gonna miss out on this awesome event because of this?