Cassiopeia Art Spotlight

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

CaptainLx

Senior Animator

12-16-2010
9 of 36 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonsennin View Post
What year of 3d's max was that? 2010? why not use Maya? which is is better on your opinion? what render system is used? and also do you guys use Mudbox?, i doubt i will get a reply or anything but great job...maybe a series of tutorials would be awesome..imagine if they offered tutorials!
This is Maya 2011. Both 3DS Max and Maya are good options to do animation, but we prefer Maya since it is open and we created a bunch of assets in it already. I, personally, love XSI and would like us to work in it, but Maya is a great tool to work with. It's all Autodesk anyway, nowadays =)

CaptainLx

Senior Animator

12-16-2010
10 of 36 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubzski View Post
For her tail im surprised you didn't create an FK/IK switch?
Made me lol when you were like argh the time consumption.
Although i totally reckon that FK produces better results, gives an animator alot more freedom.

I was also surprised you don't animate at the traditional 25fps, i guess that's usually best for movies rather than games.
Creating a good FK/IK rig for a tail takes a long time. We had to get started on animation which is why we couldn't do it. I would have preferred it a lot, believe me. The monkey tail we had on "Cloudy with a chance of meatballs" was amazingly easy to animate thanks to IK =)

25fps would be PAL standard, 24fps movie/theater, 29.97fps is NTSC standard and 30fps is games... some of the animations we export in 60fps, even, to stabilize the feet and weapons.

sirk24

12-16-2010

It's amazing how much work goes into something like this. Thanks for all the hard work!

CaptainLx

Senior Animator

12-16-2010
11 of 36 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Thule View Post
Btw, seem like this awesome TRUE 3d graphic got dump down in the game into almost 2d ;P
One of our biggest challenges clearly is how to make it appealing in our top-down view. I wish the "scaring the enemy off" would be easier to see in game, but I ran out of time to make it even more visible.

Nanasai

12-16-2010

whooo fun maya time.

rauke

12-16-2010

Hey guys,

Obviously everyone is saying this but I still need to say it myself

THANK YOU for posting stuff like this. It is SO interesting AND entertaining

It really deepens my appreciation for the amount of work that goes into this game and all its complexities

LOVE IT, keep it up please!!!

Necks

12-16-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainLx View Post
One of our biggest challenges clearly is how to make it appealing in our top-down view. I wish the "scaring the enemy off" would be easier to see in game, but I ran out of time to make it even more visible.

This video made me feel dumb. : (

lolangeles

12-16-2010

you simply need to add a different view perspectives instead of cloning dota. DoTa is a blizzard deal. If this company wants to be innovative you need to think outside the box.

The game can support 1st person perspective I'd imagine. it's unfortunate that it isn't available.

Alpengeist

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-16-2010

so tight.

Nocturnal Lament

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-16-2010

Amazing job Capitan.

I know it's a little much to ask, but is there any way to see more of these animation creation visuals? Casseopeia's was amazing to watch, but has intrigued me enough to want to see the others, if possible.

Take Swain, for instance, his movements PLUS Beatrice's movements were probably a handful as well. Maybe not as tedious as a snake lady, but still, I'd love to see it.