Cassiopeia Art Spotlight

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Paterk

12-20-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainLx View Post
Nice rigging system you got there. Seems to work very well. It also seems like you go into many different directions: texturing, lighting, rendering, now rigging. Do you know what you want to do once you are done? You probably find a good job in rigging with showing a system like that. Or Tech Artist in general. To me your rigging skills seem to be the strongest. Is that something you are interested pursuing?

Lx
Well to me, rigging first came as a means to an end. The end being a fully animated character that I handled all the way from Modeling -> Sculpting -> Texturing/Map Baking to Animating. It wasn't until this summer that I got into scripting the auto rig system.

I am actually making a game using the Unity 3D engine for that aforementioned thesis. I am handling all Art/Technical Art Assets, and I have a programmer doing all that code madness. Its a throwback to old school beat em ups like Final Fight or Streets of Rage with the same fixed camera perspective but with 3D characters and environments. Allow me to plug my Production Blog (its Blogger).

http://terrorforcefive.blogspot.com/

As far as what I want to apply for, I am comfortable with anything just shy of hardcore code. Didn't really think my rigging was that much better than my Character Modeling, Lighting, etc. I am really thankful for the feedback. (and I would have given you a full Spline/ FK switch for that tail. no disrespect to the rigger though.) I am going to take a cue with the Finger Controls. I think I prefer the curves over the attribute sliders, and you can always save key posses to scrub into.

I feel like I've said a mouthful, but let me end with this. I am just a week into your game, and I am enthralled by it. And a lot of that enchantment comes from the art direction. The animation you have done makes the characters ooze with personality. Kudos to you guys!!! And if you ever need some more hands for Rigging or Environment Art, let me know. It would be a dream.

Peace.

Patrick

Paterk

12-20-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgepig View Post
I find the best way to show the animation is to show the various stages, maybe major edits. Its not really a work-flow process, but it shows how things progress. Idle pose > Blocking > break downs > splined animation > secondary > polish, or whatever your order is.
Maybe take a few seconds of what goes on in between the clips.

Agreed. We actually make autorig software cause this is such a sink. I know it gets used fairly widely, so there's definitely a call for it. One thing to keep in mind with your script is how well it can bake down to simple bones for export into an engine. Thats a priority for our next release.
As it stands, My pipeline to get animated models into Unity 3d relies heavily on .fbx files. I animate all my loops/animation cycles on the same time line and then bake them onto the main simplified skeleton. The IK/FK switch for the arm use their own bones that are easily transferred to my main skeleton during the bake process. I then specify to my programmer the keys frames for each cycle. (frames 1-31 = the walk cycle, etc.)

Unity does not support blend shapes right now, so my facial rig is all bone based using many set driven keys. All in all, I believe my game skeleton is right under 60 bones. And it seems to run well in Unity with many characters being drawn.

Its all new to me, so its been a great learning experience. Its nice and equally challenging to be the lead on all parts of the character and environment creation.

Do you work with Riot or another studio?

Hedgepig

12-21-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paterk View Post
As it stands, My pipeline to get animated models into Unity 3d relies heavily on .fbx files. I animate all my loops/animation cycles on the same time line and then bake them onto the main simplified skeleton. The IK/FK switch for the arm use their own bones that are easily transferred to my main skeleton during the bake process. I then specify to my programmer the keys frames for each cycle. (frames 1-31 = the walk cycle, etc.)

Unity does not support blend shapes right now, so my facial rig is all bone based using many set driven keys. All in all, I believe my game skeleton is right under 60 bones. And it seems to run well in Unity with many characters being drawn.

Its all new to me, so its been a great learning experience. Its nice and equally challenging to be the lead on all parts of the character and environment creation.

Do you work with Riot or another studio?
Sounds like you are doing it about right. I prefer face rigs with bones/influences anyhow, as you can pose more freely (and break the rig more freely!) than blendshape based solutions. And its obviously the main way of doing things for games currently.

Check out the stuff they are doing for LA Noire though, thats some nice facial capture. Better than the body capture actually, weird disconnect there.

Working for Riot sounds like fun, but I work for Anzovin Studio. We make The Setup Machine, as well as working production on games and commercials. Check out TSM, its right up your alley.

Kageketsu

12-21-2010

Nice, I'm apreciating your work Riot and good luck, whit the new champion.

TheycallmeLife

12-21-2010

where might one find a .mel script to import/export .anm files?

Paterk

12-22-2010

Quote:
Sounds like you are doing it about right. I prefer face rigs with bones/influences anyhow, as you can pose more freely (and break the rig more freely!) than blendshape based solutions. And its obviously the main way of doing things for games currently.

Check out the stuff they are doing for LA Noire though, thats some nice facial capture. Better than the body capture actually, weird disconnect there.

Working for Riot sounds like fun, but I work for Anzovin Studio. We make The Setup Machine, as well as working production on games and commercials. Check out TSM, its right up your alley.

Oooo Anti IK pop sounds delicious. How does it basically work? Does it use a custom equation to limit IK influence once the elbow or knee joint extends a certain amount? TSM sounds awesome.

And the first time I watched the LA Noire it was immediate Uncanny Valley. You are right about it being the ultra expressive farcical animation juxtaposed next to the always mechanical body mocap. Is it just me that abhors abused and lazy mocap? You will never see a Pixar movie thats NOT 95% hand animated. (the other 5 is technical animation. and I base this number crunching off of nothing.)

Paterk

12-22-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidManBroDudeGuy View Post
yeah okay.
good job doing..your job.
its kinda cool to see you go through the motions; i just hate when people are commenting "oh em gee ur so gewd liek i wish i waz u ur z0 my gawdz0rz may i lick ur bawlz". lot of morons of LoL , oh well, guess thats what you get when you want to deal with people AND play a f2p game. ive seen more intelligence at 4chan
http://cdn1.mobafire.com/images/avatars/trundle.png

Hedgepig

12-22-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paterk View Post
Oooo Anti IK pop sounds delicious. How does it basically work? Does it use a custom equation to limit IK influence once the elbow or knee joint extends a certain amount? TSM sounds awesome.

And the first time I watched the LA Noire it was immediate Uncanny Valley. You are right about it being the ultra expressive farcical animation juxtaposed next to the always mechanical body mocap. Is it just me that abhors abused and lazy mocap? You will never see a Pixar movie thats NOT 95% hand animated. (the other 5 is technical animation. and I base this number crunching off of nothing.)
Yeah, it blends between stretchy and non stretchy as the foot approaches the limit of the IK chain.

Mocap is almost universally terrible. Eventually it will be perfect and animators will only be doing cleanup, or stylized/ non realistic motion, but its not there yet. And even if the mocap is a good clean capture, then theres the weird blending of certain mo-cap motions where two obvious mocap clips will be merged with some almost no existent transition. Its got its uses, mostly in cost efficiency for large projects, but from an animation stand point I dont think its a great tool yet.

InertPackage

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-22-2010

TLDR: Very cool, lots of money and time spent on new characters.

Cool cut scene, time and money spent on CGI.

Great tools, good insight.

Now where's my fookin map?

CaptainLx

Senior Animator

12-22-2010
31 of 36 Riot Posts

Quote:
TSM is a great product that I can only recommend. It's great if you can model your own stuff but don't want to mess around with rigging. We tried it out (a bit too bone heavy for our ingame stuff) and overall were very impressed.

Lx