Cassiopeia Art Spotlight

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ryzeonline

12-20-2010

That is super beautiful. Alex is wicked talented and I love the passion he puts into the animation/art of LoL. It makes a big difference and is one of my favourite aspects to elevate gameplay experience.

Props to riot for this insight and inside-peek at the process.

spielkind

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-20-2010

nice

CaptainLx

Senior Animator

12-20-2010
24 of 36 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paterk View Post
Hooray for the industry! Seems like Riot is really close to their roots. I appreciate the up close look.

I'm actually in a master's at Clemson University in South Carolina for Digital Production Arts. My thesis right now revolves around setting up systems for quick character/environment asset turnarounds. I saw a post above talking about the rigging of a character. This step can quickly become the biggest time sink in the creation process. To accommodate for this, I've actually set up a bipedal auto rig system in maya. If you wanna take a look Captain I would be thrilled.

http://www.vimeo.com/14644379

It takes care of a lot of the biggest pains outside of weight painting, but of course no two characters are the same.

Cheers!

D. Patrick Roeder, Jr
3d Artist
www.PatRArt.com
Nice rigging system you got there. Seems to work very well. It also seems like you go into many different directions: texturing, lighting, rendering, now rigging. Do you know what you want to do once you are done? You probably find a good job in rigging with showing a system like that. Or Tech Artist in general. To me your rigging skills seem to be the strongest. Is that something you are interested pursuing?

Lx

CaptainLx

Senior Animator

12-20-2010
25 of 36 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic x View Post
its either a gift from god or you guys read either my email or some one with a similar idea as mine. i asked if you could show us some more of your development work and have the artist/s comment on what they did throughout the process. thanks so much for listening to the community riot.
I wish we had done a modeling one with the character we are currently working on... but it might happen sometime in the future.

CaptainLx

Senior Animator

12-20-2010
26 of 36 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bybloss View Post
In the heat of work, one can manage to lose himself to frustration . A heavy work load with deadlines can be very frustrating as we all know . You guys pump out more new stuff then any other game I have played .

1. What methods do you use to get refreshed while in these moods , besides throwing the keyboard across the room

2. Is your job split into teams? I mean like, do you do the taunt, and another person did the dancing? Maybe you did all the work on Cassio and another animator is working on the newest champ Whateverherorhisnameis ?
1.) Haha, well, we are working on one of the coolest IPs out there... we all love LoL... that's a lot of motivation already. Then we all love fantasy... and we all love our jobs. What more is there to say?

2.) We outsource some of our animations handing them out to other animators and then giving them direction. Then we polish it to the highest standards. It helps us to iterate faster on what we want and don't want. So, it's directing and animating =)

Lx

CaptainLx

Senior Animator

12-20-2010
27 of 36 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korgoth i View Post
oh also, what render settings do you use, and do you guys do cellshade or animation shader...actually is there any way you could possibly send me the .mb file so I can take a look at the rig layout, mesh setup?
Haha, no, we can't send out our mb files... that's very proprietary stuff, of course. We use an in-game rendering engine that we constantly work on. Expect to see a better looking LoL soon =)

Lx

CaptainLx

Senior Animator

12-20-2010
28 of 36 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightcide View Post
Do you, Riot, have separate jobs for your modelers/ texture artist from your animators/ riggers? I am not sure how far your team is developed or how specified your jobs are. I notice you use Maya for your rigging and probably your animation, but do you use Max for your modeling or is everything done in Maya? I am curious in case I am job searching later.
We use whatever we like best for modeling. I love XSI, though here I model in Maya. Yes, we all can do a bit of everything, but I do concentrate on animation. I just help out when time is short (on Lux redo for instance). So, we are specialized and yet know all the traits.

CaptainLx

Senior Animator

12-20-2010
29 of 36 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwilightOnion View Post
curious question:

How many poly's do you roughly use?
5,000... some use only 2,000.

CaptainLx

Senior Animator

12-20-2010
30 of 36 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vouloir View Post
To be honest, I wouldn't mind watching all 8 hours of it to help me figure some things out 3D wise. Great for a short made run though. So many joints used. @_@
Well, 8h would be taxing... maybe one day I can do another one on an animation that's much shorter.

Hedgepig

12-20-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainLx View Post
Well, 8h would be taxing... maybe one day I can do another one on an animation that's much shorter.
I find the best way to show the animation is to show the various stages, maybe major edits. Its not really a work-flow process, but it shows how things progress. Idle pose > Blocking > break downs > splined animation > secondary > polish, or whatever your order is.
Maybe take a few seconds of what goes on in between the clips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paterk
This step can quickly become the biggest time sink in the creation process.
Agreed. We actually make autorig software cause this is such a sink. I know it gets used fairly widely, so there's definitely a call for it. One thing to keep in mind with your script is how well it can bake down to simple bones for export into an engine. Thats a priority for our next release.