Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Udyr Item build for tank?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Burkill

12-16-2010

After this patch is he much weaker? seems different but not to bad, whats a good Udyr tank build? One more thing, I'm going to buy a new character, Either a char who does epic damage or a very good laner/tank any suggestion thanks.

VanishingAct

12-16-2010

Tank item builds really depends on the other team you're facing.

I never used locket on him, so its removal didn't really effect him that much IMO

A Thumb Tack

12-16-2010

Madreds
Randuins
Banshee's
Sunfire
Trinity Force
Merc Boots

Unlikely unless the game is 50+ or you are completely dominating and for some reason they have not surrendered.

Most often the game is over at

Madreds
Randuins
Banshee's
Mercs.

Epic damage, Akali. Easily one of the best soft carries, get good go god mode, 25-30min surrenders will be common.

Laner, Zil/Janna/Sona , Pantheon/Nasus

Tank, Galio.

A Thumb Tack

12-16-2010

Quote:
VanishingAct:
Tank item builds really depends on the other team you're facing.

I never used locket on him, so its removal didn't really effect him that much IMO

That's not what made him "weaker"

Tiger Stance was nerfed to more AD heavy Udyr, if you have 160 or more AD it was a nerf, under it was a slight buff.

Pheonix got a slight nerf early levels, making jungling a tad slower.

What was the biggest nerf was the nerf to HP healed upon level up, Junglers getting less HP after clearing camps is just stupidity. Honestly set back Udyr back in time, resulting in having to be in turtle longer.

As of right now, WW took the spot of king of Jungling. Before he was just ez mode but Udyr surpassed him in speed, not anymore.

VanishingAct

12-16-2010

Oh I didn't realise they nerfed HP gain at lvl up.

No wonder I almost died at red when I was jungling on rammus today.

Oath11

12-16-2010

If anything i'm clearing jungles faster with the "nerf" to pheonix, the 4th hit is harder now. But back to the OP, I normally go randuins, shurelyias(SP?), then depends on the team, magic heavy-FoN+banshees, physical-thormail and frozen heart.
Hope that helps a bit.

Dark Sativa

12-16-2010

Tank build I enjoy going
Spirit Visage
Merc Treads
Randuins? I may try going glacial shroud- frozen heart now. CDR ftw
Rageblade
GA

Now you've got about 160 armor and 90 MR. Get a rageblade for the win, the AP will do boatloads of good to your turtle shell and phoenix will benefit from the AP and AS, while tiger will benefit from the AP and AD. Probably now the single best offense oriented weapon for any Udyr to get on a tank budget.
Frozen heart is good against casters as well. The very impressive 20% CDR makes your AP powered turtle shell much more spammable, about every (5.9 x .6) so, 3.5 seconds. They say eh, turtle is only a .6 ratio.... but that's every 3 seconds man. If you have 180 AP (hextech and rageblade) you now have a 310pt turtle shell every 3.5 seconds. You've got sick lifesteal off tiger rakes and phoenix bursts. That's absorbing 100 dps before they can even touch your health, and then they need to outdps your lifesteal as well. I *LOVE* whacking away at a turret with Ashe sitting there, shooting me, and my health not being touched because what my turtle shell doesn't absorb, I vamp and steal back. And then, if you have armor and MR beefing that turtle shell up you are nigh unkillable. Not to mention, that AP is turning your new AP scaled tiger, and beefed up phoenix 4th hit, into damage machines. Cycle tiger/phoenix/turtle, with 8 stacks on rageblade and blue buff you have just enough time to get all 3, and 4 phoenix hits, in that 3.5 seconds before turtle is back up.

UltiMUT

12-22-2010

I have read a lot of guides on Udyr and I don't agree with a lot of them. The previous poster plays the closest to the way I play that I have seen so far.

I used to do:
Mercury Treds - MR
Banshee's Veil - MR, Mana (key early with Udyr)
Nasher's Tooth - AP, CDR, AS
Trinity Force - Swiss Army Knife (you can build it in stages situationally)
Phantom Dancer - Now I am just doing crazy damage
The Black Cleaver - Which just got beefier

Marks: Magic Pen, Seals: Dodge, Glyphs: Magic Resist per level, Quints: Flat Health
11/0/19 Mastery Build

I probably had the best record with this build. I Maxed turtle and Phoenix first, then tiger and the rest Bear. It was just enough MR to keep me alive with turtle and bear if I got into trouble. I did massive damage and was often our DPS carry, but it did not feel right on Udyr for some reason. I wanted to give him a little more of a tank feel so I could stand there and burn someone down in the middle of a crowd before I had to get the hell out.

Things I could not live without:
Mana - Without Mana, Udyr dies. Thats just a fact. Early you will always be wishing you had more so you could spam your skills.
MR - You need to be able to take some punishment if you are going to be affective with Udyr
CDR - Since I do not always jungle Udyr (rarely actually), I may not always have the Blue Buff. CDR is key...

After that, you just want AP, AS, AD and you are pretty much set...

I am currently using:
Beserkers Greaves - AS
Frozen Heart - Mana, CDR, 100 Armor, Neg enemy AS
Forces Of Nature - MR, Run Speed, HP Regen
Bloodthirster - Damage, Lifesteal
Hextech Gunblade - Damage, AP, Lifesteal
Nasher's Tooth - AS, AP, CDR

Marks: AS, Seals: Dodge, Glyphs: MR per level, Quints: Flat Health
11/0/19 Mastery Build

I started going with this because I wanted more Armor, MR, and Lifesteal. I do not always get Nasher's Tooth. That should probably be the Rageblade. In that spot I have been getting Stark's Fervor for my team a lot recently.
With this build I tend to do Tiger and Turtle early with a couple points in Phoenix. Tiger has a higher up front damage output and if you then switch to Phoenix, you can often get someone to run in fear by the time you are in turtle and you have melted half their life. Udyr is an amazing chaser so if someone runs away from you, its pawnage time...