Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

My opinion why matching needs to be fixed in ranked 3v3's/why it isn't balanced.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ThelsarrMeowMeow

10-27-2013

Recently a couple friends of mine have started playing the Twisted Treeline, and we're currently 8 wins out of 12 and Silver IV. No big deal we've been having a lot of fun. Just recently though, especially the last 3 games, we won the first then just got totally stomped the next two.

We lolnexus our opponents, just a curiosity on what they're ranked. We are silver IV, III, and V. We've been matched and competing against people that have been Diamond V, IV. As well as Platinum V, IV. We embrace the competition and obviously have to improve to play at their caliber/level of play but in my opinion, it isn't fair in any variety.

I understand this is their Summoners Rift ELO, Rank, Division, etc. But, everyone knows your MMR, just by a couple searches you can find your "Hidden Elo" So to speak. It obviously doesn't come into play in the Twisted Treeline. We're a Silver IV team against other teams that may be the same rank but are Diamond and Platinum players. After their series you think just because of their division they should be at least gold?

I'm not complaining about the competition, but the games just recently that we've played went from fun/competitive to just getting stomped. Just looking at division, it isn't fair.

That's why I think the placement in Twisted Treeline should be fixed or changed.

-Thelsarr

Caeler

Recruiter

10-30-2013

I get what you're saying, but there's a reason why matchmaking is the way it is. Your opponents may have been Diamonds and Platinums, but that doesn't necessarily apply to Twisted Treeline. Sure it's likely that they are higher in skill level because of their ranking on Summoner's Rift, but the two maps are very different.

There is no guarantee that someone good on Summoner's Rift is going to be just as good on Twisted Treeline. Twisted Treeline is a more team focused map, whereas Summoner's Rift is a more independent map that can be won based on individual skill.

Another big hit to Summoner's Rift players is the lack of wards. This encourages teammates to communicate to prevent ganks and secure kills. The focus on the team is a much higher priority than on SR. Add in the fact that the maps have different paces, metas, map layouts, items, and objectives. You'll find that skill in Summoner's Rift has little bearing on skill in Twisted Treeline.

Ranking itself is somewhat broken. I've seen multiple Platinums and Diamonds in my games on Summoner's Rift, but they usually disappoint me with how they play. They make bad plays, they don't take advice, and they are usually very toxic.

The real reason you were matched up against such highly ranked players is either because they were a new 3v3 team or because they just suck at the map.

TL;DR : SR ranking, and ranking in general, doesn't mean anything on TT

Masta Spookums

10-31-2013

You forgot to mention what division those teams you played against were ranked in TT.

Caeler

Recruiter

10-31-2013

I'm not sure what division the teams I play against in 3's are. I generally don't bother looking up other players' league + division because I don't really care, but I'm not nearly as good in TT as I am in SR. My team is Gold V in TT, so I probably face other Gold teams.

In 5's, I usually play with my other friend. He looks up the info, which is usually how I find out their ratings. I generally face either high Gold(I) to mid Plat(IV-II) or low Plat(V) to low Diamond(V).

1 800 AD Carry

10-31-2013

hey, when my team was in silver 1 for promotion we starting playing challenger and high diamond teams, after failing promotion about 5 times we finally made it into gold. I know it sucks

Wonderful Omen

10-31-2013

Yeah they might be diamond in solo q but silver in 3s. Sad day for lowbees. As I like to say mechanics are OP .

Aithòs

10-31-2013

To be honest, most platinum and diamond solo q players aren't even amazing. I've beat quite a few teams with diamond I players, I don't beat them all (a diamond vayne stomped us) but the biggest thing is to not be intimidated. If you act scared you already lost, pretend they are your level and just beat them. Try to make fewer mistakes, that's what separates silver and gold from the higher levels. Not all diamond players are mechanically good, they just play smart.

PaulyWogStew

10-31-2013

I just had my 5th promo match for bronze to silver and my team got matched vs a gold V team. How is this balanced? How is my team to get higher in ranks if all I'm matched with is gold teams when I'm in BRONZE.