Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Experimentations with Cassiopeia

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ammers

12-15-2010

The following is my evaluation of Cassiopeia as a whole, the good and the bad, and I plan to update it as I go. It may eventually turn into a guide. I am aware that there are some issues with her mechanics, but am determined to find an effective way to play her as is, with confidence that there will be a fix in a future patch. In the mean time, I hope this will be helpful to anyone who is interested in purchasing Cass or is currently attempting to master her.

First off, you need to know that I am a girl. This means that I like pretty things. If it is suave, handsome, sexyfine, shiny, or beautiful, I will learn to play it despite any shortcomings the character might have, or how "difficult" the character is to play. Therefore I tend to be attracted to characters like Anivia, Lux, Morgana, Nasus (suave), Nidalee, etc.

When Cassiopeia was announced, it was love at first sight. A sexyfine, hardass mage with pretty scales, a bad attitude, and a sweet lore story? Like it! Love it! Gotta have it! I had my heart set on getting a bundle pack the moment she came on sale (Riot's got to eat, you know), which I did, and man are her skins nice. Anywho, let's dive right on in...

Initial observations:
Cass has very low base attack, and is pretty sluggish for a sexy lady serpent. With a lack of an effective escape mechanic, I knew her lack of speed would be a problem.

She has great lane control, though, espcially in mid. When side laning, she pairs well with tanks who have lots of crowd control, like Rammus, or another damager with a stun. However, Cass has a significant advantage when solo laning, because the sooner you can level her and get more gold, the better she will do later. Plus, she's great at harassing.

I tend to play support more often than not, but I wanted to try a more aggressive style with Cass, since she's just so sassy and seems like she would enjoy it. Sadly, her hiss is sharper than her fangs. (You're breaking my heart, dear Riot, breaking it, I say.)

Thoughts on Cassiopeia's Abilities:

Deadly Cadence (Passive)
It feels like this passive is a bit underpowered compared to others. Simply lowering mana costs per sequencial attack ends up being somewhat useless after the early lane phasing. It would be much more useful if it increased her AP per attack along with or instead of the decreasing mana costs.

Noxious Blast (Q)
Others have stated that this and her other attacks do not syngergize very well, and I would agree. The delay on cast makes it very difficult to land a hit on a champion save during group fights where the ground is not visible, or if they are chasing right behind you and their movement is predictable. I take this ability first because it has an extremely low mana cost compared to the others and is actually pretty good at keeping your enemy on his toes. Watching an enemy do the dance of paranoia is quite amusing and good for morale.

The speed boost that occurs when you happen to hit a champion is entirely unhelpful as the duration is just plain sad and will almost never take you out of an enemy's range. It only works for escape if you are able to place Miasma right behind yourself in the jungle where the chaser cannot avoid it, then immediately follow that with a Blast hit. Pew pew.

Miasma (W)
Combining this with Q is what gives you great lane control, espcially when midding. I laned against Ashe twice, as an example, and was able to prevent her from hitting me a single time by tossing Miasma on one side of the lane, and then smacking her with Q when she tried to come around the other side of the minions to nail me with vVlley. If persued, it is a decent slow if you throw it in the right place. It will also allow you to clear a minion wave quickly when paired with incessant Twin Fang spamming. On the downside, it starts a bit too small and is just as easily avoidable as Q, while not damaging or slowing much at all, really.

(Because most enemies won't be dumb enough to walk right into a largue cloud of poison, or stand still long enough to get hit with Q, I tried changing my mindset from "must damage" to "must annoy them until they scream in irritation", then I immediately began doing better. Suddenly I was playing her as support while using her abilities as scare tactics, and I went two games in a row with zero deaths.)

Twin Fang (E)
This ability is fun to spam early, and does a decent amount of damage for the first few levels, but not against tanks. It's all about luck and who you're getting pitted against while laning. In late game, it does less and less and less damage, which is both distressing and frustrating. Using it when an enemy is just out of range will make you chase them, in turn making you very vulnerable.

Petrifying Gaze (R)
The concept for Cassiopeia's Ultimate is pretty wicked, but its range and duration are not sufficient. to be of much good It requires you to get in super close, and doesn't last long enough to allow for escape if the enemy team decides to focus fire you immediately afterward. It is great for defending turrets, though. If someone decides to tower dive you, you can freeze them in place and let the turret eat them, while slowing their escape with Miasma.

Items:

- Starting Out
Depending on who I think I'll be laning against, I flip between a few items. Usually when I mid, I prefer the Doran's Ring, because that extra survivability is a must. With a mana pot, you have pretty good staying power. I found myself pushing champions back to their tower within the first two minions waves several games in a row.

When side laning with someone who can protect you, a Meki Pendant is nice if you plan on spamming attacks constantly, or if you don't have mana issues, an Aplifying Tome will make your attacks hit that much harder.

- Boots
I knew her speed would be an issue, I made boots a priority. After trying Sorcerer's boots for a few rounds, I quickly discovered that she really needs extra speed instead because she is extremely squishy, and giving up AP items for health items to fix that decreases her damage output even more. After I started using the Boots of Swiftness, I consistantly died less and achieved significantly more kills and assists. Solution!

(Note: lol Riot, I want an explanation as to how she wears boots.)

- Rod of Ages
Since survivability was still a huge problem and I was sick of hearing her death screech (she has a sweet death animation, by the way), I began prioritizing getting Catalyst the Protector early for staying power, then upgrading it to the Rod after getting Rylai's Scepter.

- Rylai's Crystal Scepter
This is a must for Cass. Slowing enemies is essential in order for her attacks to land effectively. Again, the extra health is very nice.

(At this point the other items are situational. Archangel's Staff pairs nicely with the Rod of Ages, but if they have magic resist, I like to grab an Abyssal Scepter (if your team has multiple AP stackers) or Void Staff (if you are greedy). After that, Zhonya's is pretty sick. I've heard that Lich Bane can work well with Cass, but I haven't tried it yet.)

Summoner Spells:
Depending on your playstyle, go with what you want, but Ghost is a MUST for Cass. I cannot stress this enough. Cass is effing slow, even with the Boots of Swiftness. Painfully, excruciatingly slow. No joke. She needs Ghost for positioning, chasing, and escaping. Other than that, I found Exhaust (improved with mastery) to be quite useful in many situations. But go with your gut.

Masteries:
Because her cooldowns are so short, minus her ult's, it's a waste to go farther into the Ultility tree than to grab the extra movement speed. I like to pour the rest into Offense. (But tonight I plan to try Defense, and I'm actually going to attempt to build her as a tank. Crazy idea, I know.)

Appearance:
Cass is just plain sexy. I love her. The voice acting is good and her model is detailed as hell, especially on her skins. And she shoot SNAKES. Snakes out of her HANDS. What's cooler than that? Haha. Anyway... You can see the individual rows of scales in each skin. She has the best death animation in the game, in which she turns into a statue and then shatters with a bashee-esque screech. Her taunt is unique and alluring, and her laugh is suitably wicked. The faster she goes, the better her slithering looks, which is very fluid-looking. I adore her Siren skin. This is probably of no consequence, but the two games my team won in which I never died, I was using the Siren skin. (Good luck charm?) It also blends in well with the new winter map theme.

Ways Cassiopeia could be improved:
Despite her issues, Cassiopeia is super fun to play, for me at least. If you don't like spammy characters, she may not be for you. She is far too squishy and does not have the power or range to make up for it at the moment. She cannot hide behind her team because she must get in close to attack, which is usually instant death in a team fight. Her late game is terrible because of scaling problems, and she is simply weak overall right now. One or a combination of these suggestions (but not all of them, of course) might help make her more effective and less awkward to play:

- Increase her base health
- Increase her ability range
- Eliminate the cast delay for Noxious Blast
- Have Miasma start larger and/or slow for a greater percentage
- Increase her ability power scaling
- Increase her base speed
- Allow her passive to increase her AP per stack
- Increase the range of her Petrifying Gaze

Pick any two or three and I think Cassiopeia would be much better off, but not overpowered. I look forward to a future patch fix, and I do not regret buying her.

This is my first post of the "guide" type nature, so I would love to any suggestions or comments y'all have for me. Is there anything else anyone would like me to report on about Cass? Did I leave anything out?

Feral Fox

12-15-2010

Excellent guide, especially for such a new hero.
I have some suggestions, if you care to read them. I would look into a few more cheap defensive items for her early on if she's squishy.

Simply purchasing a single Negatron Cloak (which can be built into a Force of Nature later) can severely limit their AP hero's damage output on you.

If you're having trouble with melee heroes, I would suggest buying a Chainmail, as it can eventually be built into a Frozen Heart or a Thornmail. The Frozen Heart's 20% reduced ASpd is very helpful in team fights as well as for your own survivability, even though the Cooldown Reduction doesn't seem to synergize well with her skills.

Abyssal Scepter can also be built for her if the other team has many AP heroes, since it has a large amount of MR. Although, if your team isn't AP heavy, look into getting a Force of Nature instead of an Abyssal Scepter after the Rod of Ages, as that would boost her survivability in a fight or a chase, due to the health regen and MR.

The passive does seem more geared around early game pre-level 10-ish, since once you pass that mark, there isn't much issue with mana anyway if you build the hero right. The insight into how her attacks combine have helped me understand how she works and how to work with / against her on a team, especially her Q attack, as it works like Karthus's or Veigar's attack, and can be used to deter an enemy chase, or damage a fleeing enemy, or simply damage a mass of creeps / a clump of Champions.

Thanks for the post, I hope to see more soon!

cheshirebat

12-15-2010

I posted an initial thoughts thread on her, and think you should definitely go tanky. It's what I have been playing her (as well as many other casters) and her playstyle and skillset supports it. With two very low cooldowns, and another quite low one, the longer she lives the more damage she does. It works with her passive too, as she will have the manapool to spam for a long time.

Another example of a champion that greatly benefits from tank building is Swain. Swain has a group of relatively low range spells, all of which have self synergy, and an ult that basically REQUIRES he be in the middle of the fight. The longer he is there, the more spells he can cast, and the more his ravens will do, and the more he will heal, and the longer he will stay. Buidling tanky is a neccessity.

A quick example of AP vs tank on cassio would be... would you prefer to ult, miasma, hit a single q, and 3 e's that hit a bit heftier.... or would you rather be able to cast 3 q's, 2 miasmas, 8 e's and your ult... albeit a bit weakened? The added benefit of the latter is now you will ALS draw more attention from your teammates, and they will survive longer, dealing even more damage. Like swain, he ult requires her to be frontline. Build her to survive, and her damage will shine.

I don't think lichbane is the best use of mana, as in later teamfights, I rarely even get off auto attacks because of twin fang, and she has much more important items to rush (ie rylais) It does however, have good synergy, and everything it gives she can utilize well. I'd honestly prefer a trinity I think, as the speed, hp, sheen proc, and slow would all be put to use.

heres my thread on her.
http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=394630

Cadfan

12-15-2010

When you say "tanky," what exactly do you mean? Just AP items that give HP?

cheshirebat

12-15-2010

My second game with her, I built her like this. First item was Rylais. I got Sorc boots (only because there was not much magic damage on the opposing team. most games I prefer merc treads). I then got a shureyla's reverie (bit of regen, CDR, mini ghost, and hp) and a randuins, building them simultaneously. Then I got a rod of ages. I was building a zhonya's when we won. I also carried the game, ending up with over half my teams kills, and assisting in almost all the rest. Thats what I mean by tanky. I had taken exhaust, and could 1v1 tryn with kiting and good ult/exhaust use.

onethreeone

12-15-2010

I've tried the above builds, but I just don't see her being useful. At least, in my average-player-normal-game bracket. There are too many burst dps champions who can out-do her in the lane, and many more champions that can out-do her in the team phase.

The main problem is that she doesn't have an "oh ****" skill for the leapers / dashers / jumpers (panth, kat, shen, xin, ken, etc.), and they don't have a reason to fear her.

I could see her being useful against non-jumping melee, so the Garens, Olafs, AD Yis, and AD Sions, but that's about it.

Her problem seems to be that she's got average DoT damage in a burst damage game, and she doesn't have the team utility of survivability to make up for it.

cheshirebat

12-15-2010

If an akali jumps you, you have an ult, miasma to keep her dotted, and two quick spells. In the laning phase, your harassment is insanely better, and your farming is better. Once everyone is level 18, a xin who jumps you might pop before you can combo all your stuff, but you should be with your team, and as long as you ult/miasma "and your team is competent and kills xin" that's a pretty worthwhile tradeoff. Being able to play her effectively as a tank relies a great deal on your team, as well as a solid zoning ability.

Dactylos

12-15-2010

I'm still making my Cass build... but I also suffered from love at first sight. I got the bundle pack... mainly because I love the Siren skin so much.

Maybe its from playing Cho'Gath and using rupture, but I find myself landing Noxious Blast every time. Sometimes I even level it first for a level of harassment enough to make my enemies tear their hair out in aggravation.

My current build starts with Angels Tear. The extra mana really helps with spamming her skills. Her damage is low... but with fast hands you can pour on the hurt.

Next I get a Hextech Revolver. Extra damage and self healing? Yes please.

After that Boots of Swiftness. She really does need the extra speed.

Ryalis Crystal Scepter... extra health and slow and damage.

Then Archangels Staff. From here on you just want to pour on the damage.

Zonya's Ring, Hextech Gunblade, Void Staff... just focus on the hurt.

Cheekies

12-15-2010

Quote:
Ammers:

Initial observations:
Cass has very low base attack, and is pretty sluggish for a sexy lady serpent. With a lack of any particular escape machanic, I knew her lack of speed would be a problem.

Clearly you didn't read her Q. Also mispelled mechanic.

Don't worry guys.. there are decent girl gamers out there. They are just hard to find.

Ammers

12-15-2010

Quote:
Cheekies:
Clearly you didn't read her Q. Also mispelled mechanic.

Fixed. However, you clearly did not read my comments on her Q, where I mentioned that I found the speed boost it provides to be next to useless in all but a few situations. If you turn around to use it on a pursuer, they will most likely catch you, and if you hit them, the speed boost is almost never enough to get out of range.

Hextech revolver sounds like a good idea. Might try pairing that with Lichbane tonight. Thanks for the suggestions, guys!