Need book suggestions for a long flight.

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Happy Firetrucks

10-23-2013

The Winter of our Discontent.
comedic slice of life.

The guy is just amusing as hell somehow.

PapaShongo53

10-23-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower Power View Post
The Kingkiller Chronicle, Days 1&2:

The Name of the Wind

The Wise Man's Fear
I would agree with this but I don't think the 3rd one is ever coming out. Supposedly he had all 3 written before the first was publlished so we wouldn't have to wait forever, but I guess he lied.

I'm only on book 4 so far, but he Malazan Book of the Fallen series so far is amazing. You wouldn't get through them all on your flight time though, very long and a lot of them.

For a "shorter" series I would suggest the Shadowmarch series, it has a Lord of the Rings feel to it in the world building and the way magic is used.

CentEnnui

10-23-2013

Jack Tumor by Anthony McGowan
Me and a couple of friends found it lying around in an open locker back in high school. Surprisingly good. It isn't fantasy or sci-fi, though. Still, give it a try, you might like it.

EDIT: Before i forget, here are some fantasy novels you would like:
Stardust by Neil Gaiman
The Dragon Age series by David Gaider(I'm not sure if David Gaider is the only one who wrote the series, but the two books i read were written by him, and were pretty darn good)

Non-fantasy, but still fiction-ish(like a jeffrey archer/john grisham type of fiction):
The Century Trilogy by Ken Follet (Only the first two book are out, but each one's like a thousand pages long, and itneresting as hell)

I'd suggest Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follet as well, but i wouldn't read that book in a confined space. It's an amazing book, but it gets really REALLY frustrating. And it's too rapey. I remember getting so angry at the perversity of the bad guys that at one point i just flung the book across the room and shouted 'IM NOT READING THIS **** ANYMORE'. But that's why it's such a good book. Follet really makes you hate the antagonist.

ClatoVerataNicto

10-23-2013

Thanks for the suggestions so far everyone. I'm going to make a list out of this. Should keep my reading reservoir filled for a while. Keep them coming!

Qutse

10-23-2013

Old Man's War Book 1. I think it fits within your space interest. Kind of like an updated Starship Troopers with a bit of Ender's Game.

Pan the Man

10-23-2013

The Dresden Files books 1-15. That should fill about 30 hours

dalzara

10-23-2013

Steve Ericksons Malazan book of the fallen series. Each one is really good but they are huge books and take a while to read as they are on average 950 pages.

Arceoxys

10-23-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightOblivion View Post
Any books by Sanderson are good, Mistborn and its sequels are some of my favorite books (Sanderson also wrote Elantris)
I also recommend The Name of the Wind, and its sequel A Wise Man's Fear, by Patrick Rufus.
Finally, Revelation Space, and its sequel Redemption Ark for that Sci-fi itch. I don't recommend the last book unless you intend to finish the series. Written by Alastair Reynolds, his other works are also quite good, like Chasm City and The Prefect.
we should be book friends

also, from sanderson, The Way of Kings was a fantastic read, if a bit slow-paced in the first third of the book.

Tahlavain

10-23-2013

Another vote for the Malazan Book of the Fallen series!

I have read several of the books that you mentioned and am currently on book 9 of the Malazan series. The level of depth that Erickson brings to the world is really interesting with his background as an anthropologist. It is a bit of an undertaking because the series is rather large (10 books ~900 pages each), but it is definitely worth it if you have the time to commit after you blow through the first / second book(s) on your flight.

On a separate note, if you haven't read The Name of the Wind yet, as others have mentioned, please do yourself a favor and read it now.

Grrglsplat

10-23-2013

Some good suggestions! The Dresden Files is my favorite ongoing series. Sanderson is also amazing; Mistborn is well worth it (I actually liked the standalone follow-up (The Alloy of Law) better than the initial trilogy), and Way of Kings looks like it could be a fantastic epic in the making. Steelheart, a standalone sort-of superhero novel, was also good.

I read a lot, mostly fantasy, and a lot of new and unknown authors, so I'll give some suggestions that try to stay away from big obvious names. I'll try to mark some specific sub-genres, and ongoing series, as those may affect whether or not you're interested.

The Demon Cycle [ongoing] (book 1: The Warded Man), by Peter V Brett
The Night Angel trilogy, by Brent Weeks
The Lightbringer series [ongoing] (book 1: The Black Prism), by Brent Weeks
Glenn Bullion's books. He has a lot set in the same world that sort of intertwine. All different and kind of weird, but good.
Nobody Gets the Girl, Burn Baby Burn [superhero], by James Maxey
American Gods & Anansi Boys, by Neil Gaiman
The Sandman Slim series [ongoing] [urban] (book 1: Sandman Slim), by Richard Kadrey
The Reminiscent Exile series [ongoing] [urban] (book 1: Distant Star), by Joe Ducie
Wearing the Cape [ongoing] [superhero] (book 1: Wearing the Cape), by Marion Harmon
The Iron Druid Chronicles [ongoing] [urban] (book 1: Hounded), by Kevin Hearnce. (Note: I hated the first half of book 1, but I'm a big fan now.)
John Dies at the End [weird!] (follow-up: This Book is Full of Spiders), by David Wong
The Mageborn series [ongoing] (book 1: The Blacksmith's Son), by Michael G. Manning
Prepare to Die! [superhero], by Paul Tobin
Ex-Heroes [superhero] [ongoing], by Peter Clines

Non-fantasy:
Duane Swierczynski, the Charlie Hardy series
Charlie Huston, ANYTHING!