OS X Mavericks Bug

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Mcgreggor

10-23-2013

Generally these FPS drops can be resolved very simply!

Go to system preferences then got o energy saver option.

Most people just let their laptops or macs stay on the energy-saver selection when really you want to select higher performance!

warning those utilizing older series mac book pros this will cause an over heating issue.

for mor fixes see my other thread on over heating quick fixs! which has some good tips for general improvement of your gaming experience

point of interest is that these problems so far that ive hear are mostly from MBP or refurbished laptops from mac :/ i will continue to post possible fixes till these issues get resolved

TeclaT

10-23-2013

yea idk why but as I said before I have the same issue with the retina macbook. I used to always have 60 fps on all medium and shadows off. I've put stuff on low and nothing really changed. I cant turn off v-sync cuz then my mouse doesnt work well ((

Mcgreggor

10-23-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeclaT View Post
yea idk why but as I said before I have the same issue with the retina macbook. I used to always have 60 fps on all medium and shadows off. I've put stuff on low and nothing really changed. I cant turn off v-sync cuz then my mouse doesnt work well ((
Have you tried the higher performance setting under energy saver in your preferences?

MrFungb

10-23-2013

I'm having the same problem. I had 60FPS ytd night, then I upgraded to the Mavericks. Now, I am having 60FPS but drops to 30-40 3-4 minutes and when there is a team fight.

Polymathic

10-23-2013

I upgraded to Mavericks and my game crashes without fail every time i play a league game now.....the frequency of the crashes is unbearable....playing on a macbook pro retina late 2012.

Shoxty

10-23-2013

Same issue for me. Always had 60 FPS. After Mavericks its pretty stead 30.

KHANcerto

10-23-2013

I used to have constant 60 frames with custom settings(Very High Char + Low Effects&Environment + No Shadow) when 3.10 was out. But nowadays I get around 30-57~ with those same settings. After upgrading to Mavericks, I can get around 40-50 fps with high settings on all with no shadow(vSync off). I am not sure why but even with my original custom settings I get the same results.

Also, sometimes I get these weird black lines/streaks on my screen next to where my mini map is. Has anyone run into this problem at all?

Using a Mid 2009 2.66ghz Macbook Pro
nVidia GeForce 9600M GT with 256mb
8gb Ram
more than 30GB free on disk.

KHANcerto

10-23-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcgreggor View Post
Generally these FPS drops can be resolved very simply!

Go to system preferences then got o energy saver option.

Most people just let their laptops or macs stay on the energy-saver selection when really you want to select higher performance!
I've made sure of this since day one since I get about 15-30fps with it set using the Energy Saver option. With it set on Higher Performance, I get 30+ but it is never really stable. When the game starts I'll get 60fps for a bit but then when I see an enemy, my fps drops by about half(something it used to never do). It could be AppNap trying to regulate the memory usage but I remember reading somewhere that AppNap is only utilized on apps that are programed to utilize it. Programs created by Apple that come shipped with Mavericks will work with AppNap from the start but third party developers have to code that into their program in order for it to work. If this is incorrect, please tell me since I recently read this and cannot find the link(sorry )

Mcgreggor

10-23-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFungb View Post
I'm having the same problem. I had 60FPS ytd night, then I upgraded to the Mavericks. Now, I am having 60FPS but drops to 30-40 3-4 minutes and when there is a team fight.
I am still looking into this issue

ive heard tale (at least on macbook laptops) that on board memory usage (the same ability to multi task so well) some times does not allocate enough RAM to the application that is being utilized.

Mac's have alot of behind the scenes memory usage even at start up.

Have you tried removing and defragmenting your hard drive? and repairing disk permisions using disk utility?

this problem shouldn't be as persistent on newer models.

if this is the case there might be a problem with the graphics settings.

though there is a very high chance that this is because the mac client isnt fully integrated into the Mac operating system yet. remember League of Legends for mac is still a work in progress.

im happy to get 30fps without over heating lol

please repost your specs along with others int his thread. im compiling a list to reference.

From personal past experience there is a quick fix to these problems regardless of the client being used.

all i know is going to the apple geniuses will result in pointless expenditure for the same result

i will be looking into all possible solutions to these fps drops.

Note of interest is that these problems revolve around moments ingame where strain is placed on the graphics card (aka team fight)

is this a scenario where it drops even without in game problems ?

let me know and ill get back to you asap

Mcgreggor

10-23-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHANcerto View Post
I've made sure of this since day one since I get about 15-30fps with it set using the Energy Saver option. With it set on Higher Performance, I get 30+ but it is never really stable. When the game starts I'll get 60fps for a bit but then when I see an enemy, my fps drops by about half(something it used to never do). It could be AppNap trying to regulate the memory usage but I remember reading somewhere that AppNap is only utilized on apps that are programed to utilize it. Programs created by Apple that come shipped with Mavericks will work with AppNap from the start but third party developers have to code that into their program in order for it to work. If this is incorrect, please tell me since I recently read this and cannot find the link(sorry )
Sorry my last post did not directly address your issue.

From what ive heard is that Maverick (im assuming your discussing the retina display) is not fully operational yet.

Though im sure certain coding may improve base performance of minor issues this will not generally address the classic mac to pc game issues that have been seen since World of Warcraft.

unfortunately you are correct with the Nap APP problem in that it does address only native mac os programs.

This sounds like a problem with your Operating system misallocating memory and power to less vital programs (like league)

if there is anyway for you to remove back ground processes generally through your system preferences might be the best way to adress these issue.

Im sorry i couldnt be more specific i will continue to look for options to fix

for now keep you game settings at medium and v sync off if thats an option and your energy saver preferences on High performance.

One minor program that might help is Growl though im not sure if the developers have continues with this software which helps allocate certain functions for macs.

keep me in the loop i will look into this further