The Current State of Twisted Fate

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ProtoStorm

11-08-2013

On patch 3.7, the slow murder of Twisted Fate began. Twisted Fate, prior to his nerfs, had been seeing a lot of competitive play due to his post level 6 ganking potential and his lane pressure. He was, however, not unbeatable.

Competitive Stats Summer 2013

OGN Summer 2013:

Pick/Ban Rate - 77.2%
Picks - 13 times. 4 wins(30.7%) 9 losses(69.3%)

NA LCS Summer Season 2013:

Pick/Ban Rate - 73.5%
Picks - 28 times. 11 wins(39.2%) 17 losses(60.7%)

EU LCS Summer Season 2013:

Pick/Ban Rate - 84.7%
Picks - 28. 17 wins(60.7%) 11 losses(39.2%)

From this data, we can see that the only success that TF saw was in EU, which is known as the mid-lane centric region. In the other 2 regions, his win rate was nothing great.

Around this time, players who watch the competitive scene picked up on his playmaking abilities post 6 and he became as we know in GD, the FOTM. His pick rate and ban rate rose significantly, but his win rate was still around 50-53%(I can't find the exact stats for it).

The first of his nerfs, on patch 3.7 read:

Pick a Card
Blue card now restores 50/75/100/125/150 Mana instead of 26/39/52/65/78 (+0.6 total Attack Damage)

Stacked Deck
No longer grants Cooldown Reduction
Bonus Attack Speed increased to 10/15/20/25/30% from 3/6/9/12/15%

Destiny
Cooldown increased to 180/150/120 seconds from 150/135/120
Tooltips updated

Riot justified these nerfs by saying they were decreasing his early game power and global map presence. Pick a card was not much of an issue, but what these nerfs did was increase the attack speed of a mid laner(-.-) to justify removing away a passive cooldown from his stacked deck skill. Destiny's cooldown was nerfed extremely hard and really brought TF's early-mid game global presence down significantly. His ult was also affected by the removal of stacked deck's cooldown passive.

Patch 3.10

Loaded Dice (Remade)
Upon killing a unit, Twisted Fate rolls his dice, gaining anywhere from 1 to 6 bonus Gold. Naturally, Twisted Fate has a higher chance to receive a larger bonus

Pick a Card
Now has 8 seconds to lock the card and 4 seconds to throw it instead of 10 seconds to do both

This was the icing on the cake. TF's passive previously granted global gold to the team was changed to grant him 1-6 bonus gold whenever he kills an enemy unit. This was what you would call a "friendly" nerf. It helped TF, but yet again diminished his global presence. The pick a card nerfs were murderous. TF previously used to have 10 seconds to lock the card and 10 seconds to throw it. By reducing it to 4 seconds, TF's lane pressure was significantly diminished. The only thing he still has going for him is his ability to push hard early on.

With the rise of the mid lane assassins and after all his nerfs, TF is a shell of his former self. He is countered in lane by most mid laners. He doesn't do significant damage and his global presence has been cut down significantly. Currently, he has a pick rate of 4.25% and a win rate of 45% in solo queue in all ranks.

TL;DR: Twisted Fate is a pitiful mid laner. His nerfs have hit him extremely hard and he has a pick rate of 4.25% along with a win rate of 45%. Alot his previous global presence is gone and some buffs are in order because he is countered by nearly every mid laner. Riot has single handedly killed this champion.

Name:  deadmanwalking.jpg
Views: 689
Size:  17.1 KB
When graves said "Dead man walkin'," he was referring to what these nerfs have done to him.

Kirino Kousakaa

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-08-2013

his toxic design makes everyone play passive once he hits 6 and allows his own team to be aggressively retarded with no fear for being punished. He needs to stay gutted

Gahaha

11-08-2013

He just needs a little more damage and he'll be fine.

JevelFaithful

11-08-2013

I heard a few of my friends and a few streamers wonder how such a powerful champion can stay in the game. So I dunno.

I'd tend to see him as pretty strong too!

ProtoStorm

11-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMGownedU View Post
his toxic design makes everyone play passive once he hits 6 and allows his own team to be aggressively retarded with no fear for being punished. He needs to stay gutted
He is easily countered by things like teleport. His design was in no way toxic, there are so many mid laners now who can be considered way more, in your words, "toxic" than TF. I agree that he needed slight nerfs no a gutting. Anyway thanks for the input.

Maximum Sona

11-08-2013

He's fine.

Level5syndrome

11-08-2013

Out of all these nerfs the most stupid one was taking away his passive cooldown reduction on E.

Saying that that nerf was directed at his "early game power" is just flat out retarded because no one maxes E first as AP TF. It was a direct nerf to his late game.

If they revert that nerf I'll be happy.

ProtoStorm

11-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by JevelFaithful View Post
I heard a few of my friends and a few streamers wonder how such a powerful champion can stay in the game. So I dunno.

I'd tend to see him as pretty strong too!

He's in no way strong at all. The only thing he has going for him is his fast early game pushing, which is easily countered by most mid laners in the mid game. Post 6 if he fails a gank because the opponents were warned, which they most likely will be when TF turns 6, he pretty much losses out on tons of farm and has 3 minutes of uselessness where he can pretty much only stay in lane and farm because following an enemy mid laner's roam will most likely result in him being killed because of his lack of damage.

ProtoStorm

11-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximum Sona View Post
He's fine.
Real? He has a pick rate of 4% and a win rate of 45%. It's been 45% since his nerfs. How is he fine?

A Slime Appears

11-08-2013

Meanwhile Fizz gets a lovetap on his W but can still trollpole, and Kassadin gets what is almost a buff despite having a 6 second flash. Ahri gets an AoE nerf but single target buff.

Yet TF gets straight nerfs and no buffs. Because all of those aren't 1000 times less fun to play against than TF, right?