Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Skarner Rework coming to PBE

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MiMeMo

10-18-2013

skarner used to be by far my favorit jungler in season2 but since then i simply stopped playing him it was the ult that killed skarner for me. never found another jungler i liked even close to as much and ended up giving up on jungling until recently when i found atrox which is my current goto jungler.

after readin about the rework i cant help scratching my head and thinking why would i want to play the new skarner in the jungle?
found his lvl2 gank potential key to playing a skarner the fact that the enemy laners+jungler needed to be very afraid at lvl2 since with just Q+W which he naturally lvled up for jungling his ganking very strong and he had early counter jungling potential. this made him very hard to predict and even if you did he was hard to punish for it. now with three skills he needs to lvl up while jungling his pre6 seems much weaker to me and his options either to gank with low odds or jungle or counter jungle seems to me not to be all of them of same viability, making him predictable and much more manageable. im trying to say his low lvl ganks is to low success rate to be viable this in turn making his counter jungling much more risky since its more prediable and this in turn forcing him into just jungling his own jungle without variation which takes away the pressure he had even if he didnt do anyting pre6. its a huge diffrence just jungling until your lvl6 with a warwick and just jungling with a eve until your 6 with a eve even if you dont do anyting you still scare the enemy lanes skarner is now a warwick unless he actually shows up you ignore him and if he does show up then he probably just waste his own time. feel his in the new incarnation a 1trick pony useless without his ult which is not a jungle role i enjoy unless the ult is supershort timer (gragas for example)

as a lover of his visual appearence and lore and loved him in season2 when he was my main (the only main ive ever had none before and none after which could be called my main) im not touching him after this rework since as far as i can tell does not offer a jungle playstyle i would enjoy playing. to ult dependant and as such to predicable. and never did enjoy playing him in lane even if he was pretty strong in it and still is fairly strong laner.

sadly my ping on the PBE is much to high for me to do any real playtesting other then testing clear time and runes on junglers so i cant playtest him and judge for myself.
as it is right now only NA has a PBE with decent ping you should consider making more PBEs in diffrent locations or change the location of the PBE regularly

maybe im jumping to conculsions but i have a hard to seeing why you want to nerf a champion i cant remember the last time i faced someone using...
still i called dooom the last time you nerfed skarner and i was right then this seems a much easier call to make

KyuzoS7

10-18-2013

you guys gonna release his BattleCast skin when rework goes to live servers? please!

Weegee7

Recruiter

10-18-2013

I hope that when new Skarner is out he'll have a good variety of builds. I'd imagine people in higher levels refusing to build any damage items on him.

Hitaro

10-18-2013

The removal on heal hurts lane skarner, something that is already weak. A lot of the fun of laning skarner was utilizing your e correctly.His e was one of the best designed skills in the game, up there with Draven's Q in my opinion, its problem was that it didn't synergize well with his usual role, jungle.

There was so much skill involved in e before this. First of all, a lot of the skill that went in to utilizing the e was knowing when to proc the heal and when to just let timer run out. There would be several decisions you'd have to make when you landed an e:

1) Is going in for the heal going to be worth the poke that I receive from the enemy laner?
2) Is proccing the heal worth pushing the lane?

These decisions also opened up counter play for the enemy laner, giving them more opportunity to read when skarner would go in to proc a heal, and giving them the decision to either go in to deny that heal + get some poke in, or to stay back in case of gank/ allow skarner to push lane.

It also provided motivation to optimize your skill shots. I don't think there's any other champion, except maybe ahri with her passive, that had to use their skill shot to hit both minions and the enemy champion. If you used the skill purely on minions to get health, or purely to poke the enemy laner, then you'd be left out of mana. Learning to optimize hitting both minions correctly, poking the enemy champion, and knowing when the skill shot wasn't even worth it is a very rewarding experience as skarner.

I understand that the heal may make jungle skarner a bit too sustained, as he's likely actually going to be using all 4 skills while in the jungle, but I'd like lane skarner to remain viable as it is a lot of fun (I'm not sure how viable lane skarner will be without the heal. He's already pretty weak, and removing his one source of sustain and nerfing his immediate speed boost in times of ganks is going to make him worse. Removing the heal just seems like overkill.)

So how about this? Nerf the e so that the heal does not activate on neutral monsters, but it does on minions. Jungle skarner, however strong he is right now, would not really be affected, but lane skarner would remain a viable, fun option.

Treyen

10-18-2013

really? this is what we get after that wait?...no play in season 3..looks like none in season 4 either.

This is a nerf, removing the aoe slow from Q, which was one of the only really good things he had going for him aside from his ult, forcing us to actually put points in E to get a slow..which we can't do without sacrificing damage/cd reset/survivability/movespeed...skarner is already iffy ganking pre-6, this rework makes him even worse.

that tiny reduction in mana costs won't solve his mana problems, either, since we will have to actually use E now for a net INCREASE in mana used...I could go on but I'm feeling pretty bitter about this as Skarner was one of my favorite jungles and even top lanes back in season 2. then this trash nerf fest with a few window dressing buffs to try and soften the blow comes along.

Rework is starting to mean "lets see how much we can destroy an already weak champion"

wilmer007

Recruiter

10-18-2013

Quote:
Weegee7:
I hope that when new Skarner is out he'll have a good variety of builds. I'd imagine people in higher levels refusing to build any damage items on him.

Well the only damage item worth getting on him is Triforce since he needs more sticking power. otherwise IBG and Frozen Mallet stick and are defensive items. Black Cleaver would be the only other damage item for the Armor Pen, CDR, HP and AD u get. Other than that his defensive items are standard brusier items like SV, BV, Warmogs and Omen. I doubt youll be seeing Skarners with Maw when SV or BV are better choices.

Pretty safe bet you'll see builds similar to this:

IBG / Frozen Mallet / Triforce
Black Cleaver
Omen / Frozen Heart
SV / BV

Note the lack of Attack Speed items because he already has an Attack Speed Steroid on Q therefore it allows him to get more tanky or more offensive with Items Lke Black Cleaver.

LeftoverRice

10-18-2013

When using fracture, will skarner still stop to cast the spell?

Wingman713

10-18-2013

I really like the way new skarner works, his ganks will be more effective early on, the attack speed buff on q will help him clear the tougher creeps much faster and lower his cooldowns much more effectively than using his w to boost ever did. The R adjustment was really needed, overall I think this is going to really streamline the way he plays. Great work!

MQ2000

10-18-2013

Why not heal? D:

wilmer007

Recruiter

10-18-2013

I see my New Skarner build as follows:

Triforce
Frozen Mallet (that way i get the 40% slow from the old Skarner Q while having a Ranged Slow)
Omen (active slow)
SV/BV
Gunblade / BOTRK (an active slow while my E Ranged Slow and Omen active are on cooldown plus the Life Steal)

can u say perma slowed Skarner Version 2.0.... but nastier than Old Skarner.....