Ideas for the eventual Taric VU

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Critmaster Garen

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-19-2013

he needs some special interaction with ezreal.

maps are truly outrageous, truly truly outrageous.

The Djinn

10-19-2013

Theme
Taric's theme is currently a little odd, as he's sort of caught between the themes of light and gems, which feeling and looking like a tanky bruiser. I'd like to see him move away from "light" as a primary theme, and move into the "manly support who beats you up with the power of gems and his manly force." The light effects can stay, but I think they should be visual side-effects of his abilities rather than primary focuses (see my Dazzle change as an example).

Visual Appearance
I'd stay away from two-handed weapon, but I'd also remove the shield. You'll see part of my reasoning below when I talk about animations. I'd recommend an overly-large, long-handled yet one-handed hammer. His armor should be large but not Garen levels of bulkiness: Garen's makes us just think of a giant soldier, while Taric's should hint at the fact that, somewhere beneath that crystal and metal skin, there's an incredibly handsome and incredibly buff man (Note: We're not talking body-builder beefcake here. Taric is not a muscle-bound beast, he's just a man with incredibly muscle definition). He's just not vain enough to show it off. Less giant block of plate armor, more heavily protective armor that is still fit specifically to Taric's body: sort of like how you could tell the approximate build of a medieval knight by the armor that was tailor-made to him.

Taric's face should be uncovered, and he should, as mentioned, have flowing Fabio-esque hair, even when idling. When moving it should flow and wave behind him. He also needs strong yet gentle features: he's not quite the chiseled-jaw hero Jayce is, but he should also be an extraordinarily handsome and strong-featured man.

Gemcraft
Not a fan of this: I'd rather encourage Taric to build supporting and bruiser items rather than Mana. But meh. You don't really need to represent this at all, honestly, as it's just part of his kit.

Imbue
The current effect is fine, but I'd love to see glowing crystal effects rather than just green light, as he does heal with the power of crystals, and I'd love to encourage that. I see him raising his free hand and causing his armor (and his ally) to be surrounded by a brief ring of small, floating crystals (various colors: see voice lines for reasoning) and washed over by a spiral of white or green light. Something like that, anyway.

Shatter
Firstly, I'd suggest Taric gains a light-blue Evelynn-like range indicator for his passive range, since as a support it's important to know exactly when your Carry has your aura bonus. I'd also charge Taric's gems with energy and/or grow additional gems when he has the currently active bonus. Perhaps a Malphite-esque system where Taric's armor becomes covered with crystals.

When activated, one of two things happens: either we have a burst of crystals (very much like a Lissandra W in visual effect) that leaves a particle (crystals or light) over the effected target OR (if Taric's armor becomes covered in a layer of crystal when the ability is off cooldown) Taric's armor explodes outward in a ring of crystal shards, with a similar particle applied to targets whose armor has been shredded.

Alternatively, Taric could whirl his hammer over his head to similar effect.

Dazzle
I loved the suggestion earlier of Taric throwing his hammer, as the stunning ball of light always seemed a little silly, and out of place with what I'll call his manly theme. I'd also accept a ground-slam with the hammer that creates a tracking crystal particle, sort of like Nautilus's Ultimate (obviously still single target). If he throws the hammer, throw a glowing particle effect on it, and make sure the animation makes it clear that there's some force behind the hit: it should impact with a satisfying sound effect and maybe an explosion of crystal shards.

Radiance
Firstly, this ability isn't really satisfying, as it's basically another W with another passive Aura thrown on. I'd recommend attaching even a small knock-up to this effect: it gives Taric a little more supporting power with his Ultimate, and helps him seem like more of a manly, disruptive sort of support. It also gives a satisfying 1-2 punch with Shatter.

Secondly, this would allow us to really make this impressive by buying us time for a cool animation. I sort of envision Taric slamming his hammer into the ground in a style close to Iron Man's ground-punch (http://www.containsmoderateperil.com...n-man_2008.jpg), causing an explosion of jagged crystals, and then rising up against literally glowing with Crystal power. The aura-radius effect from his W would also help here: perhaps all allies within range gain a glow as well, or some fancy crystal particle effect at their feet. Either way, this ability should be more dramatic, game-changing, and badass then it is now, even if that change is merely visual.

Attacking and Animations
As mentioned, Taric's moves should feel powerful and explosive: he's a bruiser/support, and should feel like one and sound like one. His movements, on the other hand, shouldn't be hyper-dramatic and violent: I see Taric as above that. While Draven and Trynd spend days in the gym, oil their muscles, shout out manly things, and run around shirtless, Taric out-mans them merely by being Taric, and not trying. I can see him swinging his giant hammer with one hand: powerful, sweeping blows, but almost casual ones, as if he's slightly bored. The first swing might be a big uppercut from right to left, the hammerhead rising to above his shoulder before falling back on the backswing: it's a swing you can do casually, yet from Taric that casual blow still thunders against his foe's skull.

In short, I think Imbue sums up how Taric should be animated and viewed: he's a strong, capable combatant in his own right, but he doesn't care. To him, combat is a means to achieve his true calling: each swing brings him closer to another heal. I think that's important: Taric is probably fully capable of beating Trynd or Darius in an arm-wrestling contest, but his priorities are elsewhere. He casually lays the smack down on people, and only really puts effort into his fighting when it's really important (i.e. the explosive and impactful feeling his abilities should have).

You can even hear this in his voice: it's a calm, level voice. Taric doesn't get excited in combat: he's calm, impassive, and infinitely fabulous. His animations and voice should always show that: he creates violence around him, smacks people around, and causes crystalline eruptions that have surprising force, but, through it all, Taric remains ever refined and ever fabulous.

Vocals
Taric's voice is basically perfect. I think he just needs some new lines. Here are some thoughts (current lines are also included). Things marked with asterisks are, of course, references to the show "Jem."

Selection
More than just previous stones, I bring you an ancient power.

Attacking
I will weep for you.
Gems hold their edge.
From coal to diamonds.
Stylish and functional.
You face unblemished power.

Movement
The idea here is that Taric is not particularly talkative. His longer lines are for specific occasions: the rest of the time he is calm and impassive.

Splendid.
With clarity.
Brilliantly.
Of course.
With poise.
With pleasure.
As you wish.
Like a dream.*
Show me the way.*

Imbue
Since his healing comes from gems, we can use his famous gem lines here.

Emerald for insight.
Opal for harmony.
Ruby for vigor.
Sapphire for divinity.

Taunt
We have to keep the old standard. We'll also add in a few more Jem references.

They say that diamonds are forever. You, alas, are merely fleeting.
You are nothing more than glass, waiting to be smashed.

Joke
We have to keep the old standard. We'll also add in a few more Jem references.

Gems? Gems are truly outrageous. They are truly, truly, truly outrageous.
Who's got the power, power?
I've got the power, power.*

Random Thoughts
If there's a kit change with Taric, I'd love to see him less incentivized to build mana and more incentivized to build some bruiser to go with his support. Possibly kit changes include having W and R have a bit more effect if Taric is isolated, as then he could successfully jungle or solo-lane as well as support, which I think fits his concept as the manly bruiser/tank of supports.

I've got a few more ideas along this line, but I don't think this is the thread for them.

ansing

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

10-19-2013

Keep his shield, but actually Shatter it when it's cast. Then, make him wield hammer 2 hands.

Perhaps make Taric have a stance mechanic like Jinx. Default would be hammer and shield.

When activating shield stance, temporary AOE sheild (or heal?), and Taric gains massive AR/MR aura.
When activating 2 hand hammer, shield shatters giving AOE dmg, Taric gains DMG, AS, and shreds AR/MR on hit.

This way, Taric could still be the biggest tank and and a bruiser, but not both at the same time. This would actually be pretty damn sick.

Also, please rework his passive.

Dux Hominum

10-19-2013

-I'm in support of keeping the shield, because the shield-bash autoattacks are one of my favorite parts of playing him.
-I feel dazzle should retain its nature, but perhaps be flashier and brighter; unless he's being changed to more of a smackdown-style champion, the amazing sparkle ray is an important part of his motif.
-I am in full agreement with flowing mane. Flowing manes go well with gemstone tiaras.
-I would be fully in support of his armor changing color/glowing when radiance is active. It would be much more satisfying than the (technically sufficient) circle pattern alone.
-If shatter needs to be changed for the sake of change, perhaps he could be given two sets of armor; one basic and one with extra plating. Extra plating disappears when shatter is on cooldown.

Above all, what would really boost the quality of my Taric-playing experience is a change to the footwork. His undefined, triangular feet just don't seem to be capable of anything more than a shuffle, and I look forward to the day when that changes.

Critmaster Garen

10-19-2013

if you had just payed this much attention to garens vu...

KHDragonn

10-19-2013

I want this.

inplane

10-19-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvo Cuervo View Post
On a more serious note, I'd like to see his armor a bit more streamlined, yet keeping the overcompensating pauldrons. Not so much 'Tiny head on refrigerator look' I'm looking at you, Garen.

http://s.cghub.com/files/Image/35400...93/575_max.jpg

http://s.cghub.com/files/Image/35400...93/575_max.jpg
Make this happen please Riot.

nosafterburn

10-19-2013

For some reason whilst reading this thread I got this flash of a Taric workout (for his VU) montage in my head. Imagine. Taric looking around the Summoner Platform seeing all the newly made champs and their prettiness and then pulling ot his gem-incrusted mirror to look at himself. He realizes that he is not the truely outrageous man he once was. Ez just looks at him and rolls his eyes then heads down the lane. Zed and his shadow just laugh. Malphite comes over and pats him on the back saying "We can do something about this you know." Taric looks up at him smiles. After the match Malph and Taric go to Maplh's and meet Skarner there. Then 'Eye of the Tiger' begins playing and you see Taric jogging after Skarner through Summoner's Rift, doing power lifts of Malphite, working with Poppy to make some new armor for himself, and finally have him do the "Rocky up the stairs moment" on the steps of the League. The song ends then the next image is of the new and improved Taric. The stronger, manlier, and more outrageously fabulous than ever before; sparkling in his new multi-colored gem armor, wielding a big pointy hammer, having his locks blow in the wind, and everytime he smiles his white teeth just glimmer.

Riot plz.

Deathnor

10-19-2013

taric has really changed over the years that im not sure how well his icionic mace and shield are at this point. however hes still my favorite champion in the odd instance where i get to use him so i hope he gets a super cool upgrade to remain fabulous.

MID 0r aFK

10-19-2013

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGy5ZJ8cSUE

plz tarius plz