Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Does anyone else think it's kind of a bummer that both of Zyra's skins are 1350 rp?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

IronStylus

Sr. Concept Artist

10-16-2013

Quote:
AntiSkillshot:
I can understand the Cyber Katarina skin. But, the Crimson Elite Katarina skin?

Very much not up to par. It was my work and I totally admit it.

Eyrgos

10-16-2013

Quote:
Spitsonkittens:
Hey ironstylus, not sure how you will feel about this question, but here we go.

Is there something about the game itself that makes it really hard to design content for it? I really feel like that seems to be the case. It seems like a painstaking process to make even one champion.

What are the other companies doing that make producing content such a breeze? I'll be honest, I'm an airhead on this topic. I'm just curious what the real differences are between this game and say, Skyrim when it comes to making models.

Great question! Nice of you to be kind in asking too +1!

AntiSkillshot

10-16-2013

Quote:
IronStylus:

That bit was... unexpected...

What was stopping its development, exactly? The only thing I can think of, is two things. One, Katarina's remodel. Two, it didn't fit with the other two Crimson Elite skins.

Eyrgos

10-16-2013

Quote:
IronStylus:

Ask VU/TU Team for Redo please? Would go perfect with the Quinn TU I'm holding out for.

I think Victorious needs a counterpart (Superhero-esque <> Supervillian-esque)...

Crimson Elite would be perfect IF the current skins were up to par (CE Kat/Talon).

Henry Plainview

10-16-2013

Quote:
IronStylus:
Models are very different than rigged models with animation sets. Models are a different kind of work comparatively depending on the complexity of the character to the process of rigging and animating. They're not "easier" but they're earlier on in the pipeline. It's easier to throw them away than something that's had a lot more production time in it.

Models alone also come in various stages of development. We threw out work on Sivir in the sculpting phase, the high-poly Zbrush sculpt, no texture, no re-topo, none of the actual work to make it a game asset. Quinn was iterated on but nothing was thrown away. I'm not sure what Viktor skin you're referring to other than one way back in the day that just wasn't up to quality, not nearly as cool as Maker Viktor is at least, and the Battlemage Soraka felt sub-par to us when we completed it. I was dissapointed because I worked on it, but it was the team's call and I reached the same conclusion once we all reviewed it. Soraka however.. at least I don't think.. was fully animated and rigged. I could be mistaken though.

It's not normal at all for something to reach that level of completion (low-poly model, rigged, animated, etc) and then to throw it out. It has happened, but it's very rare.

Thank you for the clarification. I understand and appreciate that it was for quality reasons, but it's just frustrating to me as a player to think that the reason content production has ground to a halt this year is that you guys are fussing over everything. I guess I was reading too much into it as my life has personally been very negatively affected by that perfectionist paralyzation.

Henry Plainview

10-16-2013

Quote:
Zerglinator:
Dang, I should be a lot less willing to pay for mattresses then. Those are expensive!

You can't put a price on a good night's sleep.

Shadow Merchant

Recruiter

10-16-2013

Quote:
IronStylus:

I'm glad to see that you're still checking GD ^_^. Reading your first post made me sad to see that my favorite rioter was leaving, and I personally don't like the style of the beta so I wouldn't be seeing your posts anymore v.v! This is slightly off topic. but considering the talk of pricing, skins, and the community beta all in this thread I hope you answer =D. Is there a new Zed skin in the works? I know you probably can't say for sure but even a "maybe" would be nice lol =]. Stay with us on GD, We're not all bad.

Zerglinator

10-16-2013

Quote:
Henry Plainview:
You can't put a price on a good night's sleep.

I don't GET a good night's sleep. Especially not from these expensive mattresses. They're decent for like a week then feel awful. I want less expensive mattresses!

Sophitia

10-16-2013

Quote:
IronStylus:
Models are very different than rigged models with animation sets. Models are a different kind of work comparatively depending on the complexity of the character to the process of rigging and animating. They're not "easier" but they're earlier on in the pipeline. It's easier to throw them away than something that's had a lot more production time in it.

Models alone also come in various stages of development. We threw out work on Sivir in the sculpting phase, the high-poly Zbrush sculpt, no texture, no re-topo, none of the actual work to make it a game asset. Quinn was iterated on but nothing was thrown away. I'm not sure what Viktor skin you're referring to other than one way back in the day that just wasn't up to quality, not nearly as cool as Maker Viktor is at least, and the Battlemage Soraka felt sub-par to us when we completed it. I was dissapointed because I worked on it, but it was the team's call and I reached the same conclusion once we all reviewed it. Soraka however.. at least I don't think.. was fully animated and rigged. I could be mistaken though.

It's not normal at all for something to reach that level of completion (low-poly model, rigged, animated, etc) and then to throw it out. It has happened, but it's very rare.

Can you comment on the splash art at all? A lot of Sivir's are really outdated, and we haven't really gotten anything from the VU team about it. Additionally we're still waiting on major updates to splash art like Nidalee which have been out for a very long time now. I'm just wondering why it's taking so long, and if it's too time intensive, can we consider using the Chinese splash art for some of these skins? Especially for something like Spectacular Sivir or Sorceress Lux.

MonoRandy

10-16-2013

Where is the Diana Love? I know its your fav champ?