Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Does anyone else think it's kind of a bummer that both of Zyra's skins are 1350 rp?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

milktree

10-16-2013

Quote:
IronStylus:
I'm a senior, not a lead, just to clarify, and I'm not on the Skins team, so I don't really attend many of the ideation/production meetings. I think what you're suggesting is a delightful idea, but I'm not sure why the Skins team didn't go this direction.

I'm sure you have an overwhelming amount of influence and could of atleast mentioned it... I mean pumpkins instead of a grave/zombies would of been much more easier to model.

Henry Plainview

10-16-2013

Quote:
IronStylus:
Which ones are you referring to? I'm curious, I can't seem to recollect.

Three Sivir models, much of the work on Quinn, a Viktor skin, Battlemage Soraka. Please correct me if I'm misinterpreting your posts, but to an observer like me it seems like you are junking a lot of time-intensive work for quality reasons when that probably should have been decided earlier in the process.

Zerglinator

10-16-2013

Quote:
LiftsLikeGaston:
They have to justify their greed in some way, and the new players will just eat it up.

Are...are there not actually multiple models? Why won't anyone answer me?

Jewse

10-16-2013

Quote:
IronStylus:
I'm a senior, not a lead, just to clarify, and I'm not on the Skins team, so I don't really attend many of the ideation/production meetings. I think what you're suggesting is a delightful idea, but I'm not sure why the Skins team didn't go this direction.

please comment on the Elise skin debacle, the splash and in game model are totally different and the in game model is atrocious at the moment as mentioned with the color clash.

exec3

10-16-2013

Quote:
IronStylus:
Which ones are you referring to? I'm curious, I can't seem to recollect.

Xmas Katarina's original recall comes to mind. I miss it. T_T

Exterminator Twitch as well. Hopefully you guys make that skin when he gets a VU.

EvilTreeSpock

10-16-2013

Quote:
Blu3 Blood Blues:
Im honestly getting really sick of the rude and snarky remarks from riot lately. I have been an mmo player for quite a while and I saw this same attitude in wow from the devs and it LITERALLY made me and thousands/millions of players quit. Look where wow is now, case and point the devs became increasingly rude and adopted the attitude of it is the way we say it is, ruined their own game and alienated their playerbase.

Riot you have been increasing the amount of money you wring out of players at quite an alarming rate recently. Let me recap:

-increased champ IP prices massively to force players to pay real cash for champs or wait a week.

-restructured all the champ skin prices(only in the upward direction) to get a **** ton of money from players for the same skins we used to pay less for (ex boosting wildfire zyra from 975 to 1350)

-making ultimate skins that cost nearly 30 freaking dollars (almost enough to buy a pokemon game which will give me hundreds of hours of enjoyment compared to the shortlived joy of a skin)

So if we are criticizing you for your recent money grubbing behaviors, this is a very valid criticism and one which you should address in a mature manner.

"I'm talking about negativity. Posts like yours which refer to us as lazy, or somehow resting on a "pile of cash". It's not productive, straight up, sorry, simple answer there." <---that right there is not how you should be addressing posts about the price inflations in league.

When I first joined league I was amazed that some of the devs would address extremely rude and inaccurate comments from players in a very mature, polite, and helpful way. I honestly didnt even think they should have wasted their breaths on some of the comments that they chose to rebut in detail with a cool head. Lately however all I see from riot staff are rude remarks to valid complaints.

We complained about the skins price increase and all we got from you guys were "skins are hard, dont you dare question us." We then questioned why legendary skins cost almost as much as a console game and the response we got was, "legendary skins take a year so stfu and fork over ur wallet"

Im really getting disappointed with this latest string of riot responses. Would you please go back to acting like you actually value your customers and are in it for the joy of making the game instead of squeezing boat loads of cash out of us. If you go back to the way you used to be, we will love you again.

So you are upset that you have to pay more for OPTIONAL content for a FREE game? Im sorry, but do you have any idea how buisnesses work? Sure there are millions of players, but there is 0 gauranteed money from any of that. Riot makes all their money from optional content that you in no way shape or form are required to buy. Riot loses money on eSports. They entertain us at their own cost yet they are greedy for making higher quality content which costs more to produce and then charging more so that they can make a decent profit?

Crai Crushna

Recruiter

10-16-2013

Quote:
IronStylus:
Quick, straight from the mouth of our Lead Character Artist:

"Zyra is probably the most work-intensive and challenging champion to make skins for."

Now, back to me.

Zyra is.. no pun intended on the new Harrowing skin for her.. a nightmare to make skins for. Every single plant, vine, spell, etc, is a new particle, which in and of itself is a new model, with new animations. That's.. what.. like 5 models with 5 animation sets/effect on them at least? I'm not sure how many assets are in her file.

We have a pile of concepts sitting around for Zyra, there are also great community skin ideas, but they area daunting task to be made.

I'm not a pricing guy at all but I will speak for Art when it comes to how intensive a skin is to make. Other characters which constitute big challenges are champions with different states, transformations, etc. So, Udyr, Swain, Shyvanna, etc, are basically two champions in one. If we want to make the transformation, or other states be a different animal, or creature or whatever, we have to model that, animate it, do a VFX pass, all that.

VFX alone has had huge scope creep in the recent years because now instead of just being a static effect, we have huge animations coupled with whatever the effect might be, whether it's a spell like Zyra's orbs, or animating spirit models like SG Udyr.

I'm not belittling the issue of price, but I do want to provide a peek into what sort of production goes into skins like these. It's basically a Legendary skin amount of work.

Hope that clarifies things.

Side note: I'm sort of transitioning away from the old forums here in GD, and am becoming more active on the community beta site. I probably won't be back into this thread to follow up or answer questions, so if you'd like to discuss subjects like this, make your way over to http://community.na.leagueoflegends.com/ and transition the conversation.

Thanks!

Lies. I can do it faster, better, and cheaper. Give me her 3d model base (which is what you do right? Work off of her base and change it.) or give me the free human female model that you guys use form Zbrush/Mudbox for free prebuilt (no work done so saves money). You guys at Riot really think we are dumb? We know about the creation process in video games. With Autodesk you get the entire suite for free. You get all the 2014 programs. I also took classes and have a Bachelors in this field. It is so easy to make skins. In the code. Do not get me started. Code is hard (for me) but it is also easy to understand. In the code the line for Zyra's plants should look something like this (of coarse more professional) : ButtonpressedDown(q/e).GameObject("Qplant/Eplant&quot.Spawn : How hard is that? I would love to work for Riot as it seems like you guys need the help as you do not have enough hands on deck. Go ask the PR people to look for my summoner name and you should get my resume and website.

Phyrexia

10-16-2013

Things wouldn't be so bad if we actually got people from the pricing side of Riot to make posts on the forums.

Instead we get Hippalus completely blowing off the forums to chill out on Reddit. And not even bother to make a recap post here.

Renaito Yuujou

10-16-2013

I'll miss you Parrot. I hope some day you draw that manly support chef idea of mine that you said you liked.

Corvo Cuervo

10-16-2013

Quote:
IronStylus:
I'd say that this thread, if it maintains some traction, will attract attention of people more qualified than me. I mean, some of our stats indicate that any red posting in a thread will up the visibility of that thread, causing other players, and other Rioters to take notice. The effect of my posting in here does some positive things for visibility, that's why I post in threads such as these.

+1.

I'm still all for a full on Champion Production Documentary which details the process from start to finish. Just so everyone knows how much effort goes into making quality content.