Introducing Team Builder

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ABEomination

Junior Member

10-15-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptoreyes View Post
So what?? People will always suck at a position they are new at but those people being toxic will be reported regardless of wither they were right or wrong... they were still toxic afterall.
I agree completely. By "don't do it to other people." I meant the flaming. People are always going to suck sometimes and people are always going to get flamed for it. The answer is to not care when you get flamed, not flame when your team sucks, and report people when they flame, whether they're flaming you or someone else.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Russianelit3z

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

10-15-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnderzShadowz View Post
It sounds like this is for pre-made teams rather than just one person queueing by him/her self. Care to expound? Thanks!
The problem is they clearly haven't asked Silver players, because this team builder **** will not work at that level, there are too many selfish players.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

EnderzShadowz

Member

10-15-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by davin View Post
Just to make sure people see: You can actually set up whatever comp you want. You can definitely do 2 mid or 2 jungle. The system is meant to make it easy for players to decide to play the way they want to play. Because there's no crazy time pressure, you're not going to hop into a game until everyone is fine with the plan. If the captain sets up a Support Top, Marksman Top setup, for example, they're deciding to wait a little longer to get solo players who will be happy to play the strategy they desire.

In that way, the tool is also more responsive to shifts in the "standard" meta. Should be neat to see how players collaborate with it
How does a single person queue into a desired meta different than the current meta? Can they be the leader of their own 1-man lobby and define the role placements as they desire?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SlumlordThanatos

Senior Member

10-15-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
3) Will I have long queue times if I want to play a popular role?
a) In our research, we were surprised that role preferences were pretty diverse. When we surveyed players and asked what their preferred role was, about 15% of players preferred playing Support, 14% of players preferred playing Jungle, and 5% of players were willing to fill any role.
No. No. Nonononononononononono.

I'm sad to say it, but for once, you are WRONG.

To put it simply, survey data is inherently unreliable because people tell you what they want at the time of the survey. Or, in other words, consumers know what they want, but they don't usually say what they want.

Malcolm Gladwell spoke at length on this particular subject in a TED talk. He used spaghetti sauce as an example: you could sit down a bunch of people in a survey or a focus group or what-have-you, and they might tell you what they want...but they might actually like something else even more. Just watch the video, he explains it better than I can right now.

While this isn't the point Malcolm Gladwell was trying to get across, the principle is the same here. I can guarantee you that the survey data is misleading. I mean, just look at what happened to the Dungeon Finder and Looking for Raid in World of Warcraft. Unless you are a tank or a healer, expect to wait 30 minutes (or a lot of times, even longer) for a dungeon group or a raid.

While I know you guys are trying to help...this is a very bad idea, especially given the number of times that Lyte shot this idea down on his own.

Also, does anyone else find it really odd that Riot is going back on all of the reasons that they said that a queue like this would cause problems?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Echoes of Mine

Junior Member

10-15-2013

I don't think it's a good idea. The team builder is only effective for normal meta which is 1 top, 1 mid, 1 jungle, 1 adc, 1 support.
If I would like to play a random meta with my friend(s), will it mean that I must play in a custom game ?
I hope not and I really hope that this feature will be an option because we can change our mind anytime in queue if someone counter picked us or one of my teammates is playing the champion I wanted to play in another role.

The intention is good, but once again, I hope this feature will be an option !


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Wyl

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

10-15-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyl View Post

Concerned snip

I just thought about this : likely the queues are going to be somewhat long because of how many Champs we have and thus how many possibilities there are opened.

Why wouldn't you do a slide of lobby previews in the "play window" for that queue? Much like what happens for featured games or the news when you hit the LoL launcher. It would show which positions are left opened. So if a team is searching for an ADC Xerath or an AP mid Varus, a player wouldn't really HAVE to set himself to that position but maybe would be interested in playing it if he would see that a team is looking for it. Previews could last 5-10 seconds each, and then would show up another game lobby with its own status.

Could take some time to code it up, but I think it would be awesome and would encourage people to try stuff. Would also speed up queues and lobby waiting.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

EnderzShadowz

Member

10-15-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
Initially, Team Builder will be a separate queue and you will still be able to queue up as you do now for other game modes such as Normal Blind Pick.

It would be fantastic to have this queue option in Co-op versus AI so we can practice the role we want to practice rather than losing the call order race and being disappointed. Keep up the good work guys!


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lowside

Junior Member

10-15-2013

I'll go ahead and paste something from Reddit addressing my concerns if this type of queue ever makes it into Ranked play.

I would hate this system in ranked. Part of the challenge in raising elo is that you have to be somewhat well-rounded because you may not always get your role. This would eliminate that completely and make elo a representation of "how well can this player play x role" rather than "how good is this player".

Additionally, I would never like to be paired with lower elo players just because I haven't played a role or champion yet. If I want to try out my brand jungle that I've only done once before, I want to do it against diamond players just like I would've if I played mid zed.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Luna Wolf

Senior Member

10-15-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteris View Post
Mid's, tops, jungle & marksman queues are now twenty minutes long, while support queue times are instant. Reminds me of WoW dungeon finder, only this time we won't have a DK tanking in PvP gear.
This. Jungle and Support will probably take way less time than the other 3 roles.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

AntiSkillshot

Senior Member

10-15-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2pudge1cup View Post
And I was sticking around hoping Riot would "get it" and step up. That clearly won't happen with this trash.

This is where the invasion of ex-WoW players has finally won. We now have an extension of WoW dungeons and no longer a MOBA. Innovation is now dead. We know that there will be 5 positions and static lane assignments for the rest of eternity. Not to mention that there are people who are just going to specialize and cry even harder when someone queues for a slightly strange pick.

We will see even more fotm picks on both sides.

Awful idea by riot. Really awful. This is going to cause players to get bored a lot faster than they already do because they can just do the same thing over and over again and their games will bleed together.
I'm surprised you can even type, with you're inability to read.