Introducing Team Builder

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Bhargo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-15-2013

And with this, the meta is set, not in stone, but in steel.

Lyte

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

10-15-2013
36 of 101 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExjK View Post
Please clarify this one small thing for me.

Are you saying that with Team Builder I (the host) will be able to accept/decline any person that joins my game? If I don't particularly care for their attitude or what champions they want to play, I can kick them and wait for someone else? You're telling me I get a fair chance at determining whether the people I have on my team are worth my time and effort? Granted if I queue for Team Builder I will also have to accept the rules laid out by other hosts...but even then I will have time to communicate and truly have a choice when I want to play a match?

Riot if this is what you are telling me then...thank you. Thank you so much ily. <3

P.S. - I think Team Builder would be very smart for ranked. Players can rest easy knowing that before they risk their LP they will have a chance to really communicate and form strategies. I also assume the Team Builder lobby will be similar to custom where my game will be open for 15 minutes, plenty of time to get on the same page before queuing.
Yes, as a Team Builder leader you will be able to accept or decline suggested players to your team. Solo players will also be able to ask the system to find them a new group. Team Builder is all about encouraging communication and cooperation and letting players take as much time as they want to find a team they will have fun with.

Gixia

10-15-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
Right now, solo players have to select champion, role and position. Team leaders can create slots with "Any Role," but they must select a position. We're going to see how this setup works, and we're always open to iterating.
That's a bit disappointing. Sometimes when I play, I don't have a preference in mind, I'm willing to play any role. That said, even when I don't have a preference for myself, I still like the rest of my team to know what they're doing so I don't have to deal with other people arguing during champ select.

Or, a much more frequent situation is, I'll queue up wanting to play jungle, but not having any specific preference for which champion I'll use to do so until I see what the rest of my team looks like, and then pick the most suitable jungler to match the needs of the team's comp/strategy. So, not being able to do so (at least not right away) means I probably just won't use this feature until more options get added to it.

Pjoelj

10-15-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
Of course! In the current setup, one of you will have to be the team leader and invite the friend. Both of you can then spec a bottom combination, then fill out the rest of your team composition with whatever you want. The system will then start finding some teammates for you two!
How large can the premades be? Is it going to be duo-only or anything up to 5-man (whyever in the nine hells you'd want to do that)?

Aardison1

10-15-2013

love the idea just wish there was some bans some champs even in non ranked play i just don't want to have to deal with so i never play blinds and such anyway gj team hope new iterations come soon with some form of banning.

ploki122

10-15-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by davin View Post
Tanky Midraka is great. I'd hit the 'yes' button if I was setting up a team
Me and my support poppy would simply release pleasure juice (dang censor) on that proposition...

Hellioning

10-15-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Angelas View Post
Whoa. No one is going to play with me then.

When I play mid lane, I only play Mid AP Raka.

http://www.lolking.net/summoner/na/31370660#history
Let us meet on the fields of battle to Midraka off.

davin

Senior User Researcher

10-15-2013
37 of 101 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by emTmyclipin2u View Post
Can you put in a "no opinion" for things? Say I want to play gangplank Fighter but I don't care where I end up, can I queue for that?
edit: I got Shen'd
Not at the start, but if it ends up being a common desire after the system launches, it'd be something we could add.

Yangpoo

10-15-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptamei View Post
I'd rather wait longer for a team that accepts my pick than get dumped immediately into a team with 4 people that hate me, which is what happens right now.

3/4 of the time when I pick jungle Quinn or support Lissandra I get flamed or trolled. I'd gladly wait 4 times as long and skip those frustrating matches and the tons of reports that inevitably ensue and only play with people who aren't metasheep.
OK, that's why we need to see it in real what's happening.

For example, how "long" do you want to wait? What if you wait 15 minutes to be able to play support Lissandra? And even then there's no guarantee that the matched team won't be full of ******bags in the first place.

And really, if you play Jungle Quinn and won, I doubt you get reported. It's always about winning/losing. People win = happy, all problems gone. People lose = looking for someone to blame.

Also, it's already specified that you must preselect your role. To me, it sounds a lot like pidgeon holing the champs and meta-enforcing right from the start.

Mokkun

10-15-2013

I see no good way to implement this in ranked.

I can force essentially 4-5man pre-mades, by picking some absolutely bizarre strategy (say... 4 junglers and a support top), then have me and my buddies in something of a similar rating range, all queue up at the same time to buy into it, and we'll all end up in the same queue, then voice chat, then have communication advantage vs those who don't abuse the same strat. Afterall, we don't actually have to play the strat we agreed upon.

This would be especially true at super high and low rating.

But for normals, all day long.