Introducing Team Builder

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sindair

10-19-2013

I'm curious about something.

Why would I want to queue in team builder to play a support if I already know i have 75% of chance to be the only player who wish to play it in any Normal/Ranked Queue.

Also it seems like this system might take longer before the game start compared to the others systems.

Also while I understand how the added feature try to not enforce meta, how could I avoid troll pick or 3 mid meta if I doesnt want to ?

Be it in Ranked/Normal, I don't want to play with a Teemo mid. It s not about it is bad or not. It s just risky and these player often think more about succeed in "breaking" the meta than win the game or play as a team....

calicfer

10-19-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
For now, there's no option for players to switch their Champions once they are in the team building process. We're aware of the value of adding this, but there's also some concerns like how you would handle players who use a desired spec to get fast queues, then switch their specs in the lobby and end up being kicked--it's not an ideal experience for anyone in that situation.
If the team accepted your spec then you should fit in the comp. "Too much ap? spec rejected."
Maybe if you want to do a combo (you have a Alistair and want to do Alistair blitz combo) you could suggest the spec change, but the leader or the entire team has to approve. I see an approval system working out really well.

Warr305

10-19-2013

Can't wait for the update! Great feature to have.

Shellaur

10-19-2013

Quote:
The current matchmaking does a good job of matching up players of similar overall skill levels
No it doesn't. It happens often enough when after a game in which you were victorious team carrier is being followed by the next one that makes you feel like water gun boy thrown to the commandos battle.

Quote:
5% of players were willing to fill any role.
I dare to assume 4.9 percents of those 5 aren't good in any role

Quote:
Also while I understand how the added feature try to not enforce meta, how could I avoid troll pick or 3 mid meta if I doesnt want to ?
That's really good question. My suggestion is Riot should add "breaking meta" check box,
that would signal that player is ok with playing in "broken meta" team with duo midlane/5 junglers/any other outcome of someone's sick imagination, or he's is going himself to do something that doesn't meet the norm like using Teemo with Clarity and Revive for jungling.

Also I don't understand if I'd be able to choose more than one role/character at the time - like
I want to go jungle with Nocturne/Jax or bottom lane with Vayne/Caitlyn?

calicfer

10-19-2013

Quote:
Roles are not attached to the champion, and you can choose Mage-Gragas for example. It's also very trivial for us to add a "Roam" role, if such a role were to emerge as a popular option.
for now, we're stuck picking jungler if we want to "Roam"

ZehNetoBR

10-19-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weirding View Post
Suggestion: can you set a switch that allows me to filter for players that have a decent ratio of "time played to honor gained"? I go out of my way to be positive in games and my honor score reflects it; I would like to play with similar people.

This is actually a very good idea. Maybe not in these exact terms, but the amount (and type of) honor you get should have some sort of influence. In other words, if you get honored often for good sportmanship, friendly attitude and teamplay, you should be less likely to be matched with someone often reported for poor behaviour.

calicfer

10-19-2013

Quote:
You can change your masteries and runes at any point in the lobby, and can definitely chat with your teammates about what pages you'd like to use.

A lot of players have asked whether Team Builder will have bans, and it will not. Team Builder is a new re-design of Champion Select, and is focused on the core experience. We've considered how a Team Builder "draft mode" might look like, but that's not the focus of the initial experiments.

I agree that there's a lot of potential value in allowing players to multi-select Champions or Roles, and allow team leaders to choose which one they are interested in; however, there's a lot of complexity to these designs--especially from the tech side. For example, if 2 players are suggested to a party, and both of them have Miss Fortune as a proposed champion, then we now have to consider additional collision cases. From a Game Design side, if you allow multi-select Champion designs you now force team leaders to choose the preferred champion among a mix of 3 (or however many you propose). If you propose only 1 Champion, say a B Class Champion, many players will say "OK, that's fine, let's play!" If you propose 3 Champions, a B Class with 2 A Class Champions, you now actually hurt champion diversity because you force team leaders to make a value judgment here and many will opt to select the A Class Champions even if they were OK playing with the B Class.

These are all solvable problems, but we wanted to focus on getting the core experience to players first. Then collect feedback, and iterate as we go.
I like the idea of being able to offer to change champions and have that accepted by the team. It wouldn't be something expected, but would allow you to select the champions that you only want to play in a certain combination. Say katarina with amumu.

This is also important for 5 man mid comps.

calicfer

10-19-2013

Quote:
If we wanted to allow Champion swapping, having the team leader or group vote for it isn't a bad idea; however, we didn't want to take on too many features too fast. We want to iterate on the core experience with player feedback, and build the system together with players.

MAN, I love it when I see something I want enough to be vocal about gets riot approval in the forums...
now only if I had read this post before spamming about it in this thread...
ANYWAYS... more spam in support of team leader/group vote for champion swapping.

Also, really happy that this feature is coming into being.

Zorgring

10-19-2013

Doesn't this make every game blind pick?

Hemperor Cobble

10-19-2013

Sooo, when is this happening?