Introducing Team Builder

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Belisarius09

10-17-2013

1. How interchangeable are roles and positions? For example, the picture shows renekton, Role=fighter, position=top. Do you have to take a fighter to be top? What if I want to take Akali top? She's an assassin.

If people auto select "find me a team with a fighter in the top lane!" How long will I have to wait to queue up if I want to play Akali in the top lane?

2. How many different "roles" are there? We know you changed the name of ADC to Marksmen, is there fighter, assassin, tank, mage, marksmen, support, bruiser, off-tank, melee marksmen, burst mage, aoe mage etc, how detailed/varied can it get?

3. When can we expect to first see this implemented in the live client?

Jikker

10-17-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
There are a few anti-abuse systems in place that will combat players or team leaders who intentionally kick players non-stop.

I'm not sure if you play mainly Ranked Modes, but one of the things we saw in Ranked was that a lot of cognitive biases are at play. For example, there's been research on companies that show that the average employee believes they are above average--statistically impossible, but a very robust cognitive bias that exists in all humans. In Ranked Mode, this cognitive bias exists too--as a player, we have no data on anyone else but ourselves, so we tend to believe we're the best player in the lobby. Statistically, we can't always be the best player in every lobby because everyone is typically close in skill-level, but we feel strongly that we're always the best. Because of these cognitive biases, players in these modes tend to want to play the perceived "carry" roles, which is why there are less people opting to play Support. Because Team Builder is currently an independent, non-Ranked queue, we're more confident that more players will opt-in to playing Support.

Cognitive biases like these are one of the reasons why competitive modes are tricky--we have to design a solution that not only makes sense from a game design sense, but also from a psychological sense.
Thanks for answering my questions and it is good to hear that there will be safeguards against the trolls!

So if I'm reading this right, you are saying people are more willing to play support in a non-ranked situation because they feel they don't need to carry? Considering I haven't played ranked at all (I'm not very confident in my abilities yet) this has not been my experience. I'd like to believe it, but it's hard to believe in something that all your experience directly contradicts. When I spend fifteen pr more minutes trying to get into a match because last pick keeps leaving because they don't want to play support, there is something wrong. Perhaps this will prove me wrong and I'll be very grateful and relieved

I also think it's funny to mention that we all think we are the best players in the queue. Perhaps I am odd, but usually I expect there to be a few players better than me and a few players worse than me when I queue up because that's about how it is probably going to be distributed if we are truly getting an even playing field and team. That's why I'm willing to fill because I hope those better players will take the carry positions they are best at and I can do my best to help out. While ADC may be my best position, I may not be the best ADC on the team. I wonder if other people think like that, too.

Celenphor

10-17-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
As a leader of a group in Team Builder, you'll then be presented with players that want to play one of the roles/positions on your team, and you'll get to see the Champion they want to play and get to accept/decline them from your group.
Doesn't this allow for a "leader" to lolking his teammates and see that, hey this guy wants to play Renekton, but he's got bad KDA with him so I'm booting! Seems like unless you que your strongest role/champ you're going to be waiting forever to find someone who doesn't mind if you are trying something new, or attempting to improve with a champ.

Also, how are bans affected? What if I que Riven top, but Riven gets banned?

MisterRyu

10-17-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memorylame View Post
yep they have segregated the player who likes to experiment into a longer queue where they can play with like minded people...this does solidify the meta as nobody is going to wait 47 hrs for a double jungle match to queue...
i could pull numbers out of my butt too if you'd like. as far as I'm concerned you are just overreacting and trying to spin a good thing into a bad/tragic thing when it's not for almost seemingly no reason. only reason i even replied to your garbo in the first place lol. but i digress, I'll stop replying here before this turns into a chain of butts hurt and whatnot.

gg sir.

The FireWater

10-17-2013

This is the greatest thing ever. I think the only thing that could top this is if we found a way to fix purple side vision for nubs like me who play with locked camera.

But seriously, this idea has been a shout out many times in the past, and always hit the wall of "Well, it would be enforcing meta and we don't want to do that, but for solo queue players who are meeting each other for the first time assuming meta is in play is usually the best thing to get communication rolling"

The fact that you worked in a way for this to not only NOT enforce the meta, but encourage people to play their own way without being flamed as trolls... this is beautiful. I can't wait for this!

Straight Chi

10-18-2013

Haha I wish I had seen this thread earlier, this is exactly what I was talking about in the thread I just posted -_-.

Raptamei

10-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memorylame View Post
yep they have segregated the player who likes to experiment into a longer queue where they can play with like minded people...this does solidify the meta as nobody is going to wait 47 hrs for a double jungle match to queue...
If it takes 47 hours, this means there are a hell of a lot of people who don't want you to double jungle in their match. What makes you think you have the right to impose your experiment on all of them?

Or maybe it should just match you with some of those people so you get flamed all match and then reported?

Raptamei

10-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gløry View Post
Another questions I myself have: Let's say I queue up as Mage/Mid as Zilean, and get slotted into a team. Does the leader see that I'm playing Zilean? Based on that picture it would seem he does. What if he doesn't like Zilean mid, is he free to just kick me?
Would you rather want to play with a team that doesn't like your build? Three guesses as to how that game would go.

ZickZak

10-18-2013

I dislike this idea in one detail: I don't mind playing mid, but I don't intentionally WANT to play it. I suggest 3 levels instead of just tick or cross: Want to play, Don't want to play and Don't mind playing it or something like that, you get the idea.

The reason behind this is that I play mostly jungle and support, but I wouldn't mind ticking mid as "well if none else". This probably is irrelevant either way, as if I'm not gonna tick mid, it might take few more seconds to find a player who wants to play it, just an idea... will see how you guys deal with it

How will this deal with the ranks and ratings? Isn't it hard enough to find players of the similar rank to play together, not to mention with pre-picked roles?

xXGorillaPower

10-18-2013

my account got hack by anyonomous and i would like to see a mod help me get it back my acc was SirShadowSlayer and the guy who hacked it told me he did it so i am using my friends account right now