Introducing Team Builder

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

eabe

10-17-2013

I have posted on here many times for an option for role selection before the game starts. Every time I did i got an overwhelming replay of negativity. Riot post that they are doing it and every one loves them for it.

Anyways a few points I would like to make about this system are:

1. Most people who play solo rank queue wont find this all that helpful.
    • Most people want to play a role not a specific champion. I mean who really wants to play against there hard counter when they can avoid it?
    • This is a modified Blind pick and I would treat as such.
  2. What will be the point of having lots of rune pages if you know what Champ you're going to play before you play? It kind of feels like your punishing people who have lots of rune pages.
  3. What will be the rank/draft implantation of it?
    • People who were asking for this that I saw were manly vet players tired of feeling in the holes for those who couldn't play more then one role.
    • I really hope that the draft mode just does away with the pre-selection of champions and instead just shows the role they selected in champion select making banning and champion select smooth and intuitive.

Well i wanted to say more but I am running out of time maybe later. Anyways a great start for replacing blind pick if ask me.

Goodguy Hopper

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-17-2013

Thank you guys for working on this! I look forward to seeing it roll out.

AcousticRage

10-17-2013

If this doesn't interfere with other queues, I'm all for this kind of thing getting implemented.
Seems to me that it wouldn't really work for any kind of draft play though. Only really a blind pick play would work for this. If you don't have the bans and everyone gets to choose who they want to play prior, that eliminates the competitive aspect of the game. Part of that is being able to counter pick and adapt to other picks, based on whether they ban or pick the champion you'd like.
That being said, I think it could have it's place. Just having you go into a draft queue with a specific position already chosen for each person could be useful. That doesn't even mean you can't break the meta. Sure, you might get a little flack for it, but if you want to take Heimerdinger into the jungle, you can still do it.
The setup here just needs to be worked on a little, but I think it'll definitely make a difference in team cooperation.

Samus Frost

10-17-2013

Well this be completely inforced or will we be allowed to go into the good ol' queues from time to time?

FutureSound54

10-17-2013

I'd prefer if we could pick an any role option before we match into a team,
for example if I just wanted to play a champion top but not care whether I was the tank or fighter, etc.

Katsuo Nuruodo

10-17-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samus Frost View Post
Well this be completely inforced or will we be allowed to go into the good ol' queues from time to time?
They've already stated a few times now that this will be available in addition to the already existing queue types.

I'd recommend reading through the Riot posts in this thread.

AlexKnight

10-17-2013

I don't know if this was asked about already or not (I'm not about to read through 144 pages of posts lol) but when this feature goes live, do we have an option to report people during champion select for picking another role or instalocking into a role other than the ones that they opted in for? Example: Player X says they're willing to support, but in champ select they pick Garen or Riven and claim top. Can we report during champ select and possibly kick them out of queue?

Katsuo Nuruodo

10-17-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexKnight View Post
I don't know if this was asked about already or not (I'm not about to read through 144 pages of posts lol) but when this feature goes live, do we have an option to report people during champion select for picking another role or instalocking into a role other than the ones that they opted in for? Example: Player X says they're willing to support, but in champ select they pick Garen or Riven and claim top. Can we report during champ select and possibly kick them out of queue?
You don't need to read through all the posts, just read the red(Riot) ones(there's some buttons that let you move from one Riot post to the next one, so you don't have to go looking for them). Most people's concerns were addressed there.

As to the issue you mention, it was covered. You select your champ before starting to queue, and you're locked into that champ. So, you could queue Sona as top lane, but it may take a while to find a team that's looking for that. You cannot change your champion after you get selected into a team, and the team leader will be able to see the champion you have locked in when they're deciding whether to accept or reject you(before you even get into the team lobby).

Byakuyazakura

10-17-2013

I think a way to deal with some of the issues being brought up would be to include "Advanced Search" options on the Player screen. So a beginner Player would just pick their champ, role, and position and then go into the queue. While a more advanced Player who knew the terminology and meta could open up the "Advanced Search" page and be allowed a way to more easily meet up with a Team Builder that they are searching for.

Let's say I have Ezrael/Bot/Marksman but I don't want to play ADC, I want to play a game with multiple Marksmen. So I got to the Advanced Search page and fill in that I only want to be considered for teams that have at least two Marksman slots in them. Then I would go into the queue. It would more easily line me up with a Team Builder playing a style I wanted.

Likewise, a beginner Team Builder would see the screen you posted at the beginning of the Thread but with an "Advanced Options" button/tab. This option screen might allow the advanced player to check a box for 'Carry Only'. This would let him limit his Marksman slot to only champs who are officially designated as a Carry.

Finally, there might be limitations that are only available when both the Player and the Team Builder are using the Advanced Search. Like a 'flexible only' option for the Team Builder and a 'flexible character' option for the Player. The Player would not have to pick a champ and the Team Builder would only pull Players who didn't select a champ, only a role and position. This would deal with the demands of many of the posters here.

The goal of this selection method seems to be more easily matching people with compatible play styles. I see no reason why simplicity for beginners should limit more advanced like-minded players from finding each other quickly. A simple button/tab for those who know the game better would allow this goal without overwhelming newcomers with complex jargon that they won't understand until they play for a while.

Katsuo Nuruodo

10-17-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byakuyazakura View Post
I think a way to deal with some of the issues being brought up would be to include "Advanced Search" options on the Player screen. So a beginner Player would just pick their champ, role, and position and then go into the queue. While a more advanced Player who knew the terminology and meta could open up the "Advanced Search" page and be allowed a way to more easily meet up with a Team Builder that they are searching for.

Let's say I have Ezrael/Bot/Marksman but I don't want to play ADC, I want to play a game with multiple Marksmen. So I got to the Advanced Search page and fill in that I only want to be considered for teams that have at least two Marksman slots in them. Then I would go into the queue. It would more easily line me up with a Team Builder playing a style I wanted.

Likewise, a beginner Team Builder would see the screen you posted at the beginning of the Thread but with an "Advanced Options" button/tab. This option screen might allow the advanced player to check a box for 'Carry Only'. This would let him limit his Marksman slot to only champs who are officially designated as a Carry.

Finally, there might be limitations that are only available when both the Player and the Team Builder are using the Advanced Search. Like a 'flexible only' option for the Team Builder and a 'flexible character' option for the Player. The Player would not have to pick a champ and the Team Builder would only pull Players who didn't select a champ, only a role and position. This would deal with the demands of many of the posters here.

The goal of this selection method seems to be more easily matching people with compatible play styles. I see no reason why simplicity for beginners should limit more advanced like-minded players from finding each other quickly. A simple button/tab for those who know the game better would allow this goal without overwhelming newcomers with complex jargon that they won't understand until they play for a while.
Reds have stated that adding things like this would increase complexity and increase time to get a team ready. I wrote up a post on a possible way to accomplish goals similar to yours without increasing complexity or time, while allowing and even better enabling non-meta team comps. Let me know what you think. Here's the post: http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com...6#post42295736