Introducing Team Builder

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Mad Hit Monkey

10-16-2013

While this is all well and awesome, but it occurred to me that people have an annoying tendency to be impatient. What do we do if all we get are people who think like its like customs and just log in and say 'gogogogogo' (an obnoxious habit of people, but I digress).

Said people tend to wait five seconds while spamming Go, and then leave, keeping a match from starting relatively expediently.

What's preventing this from occurring in Team Builder queues?

Super Explosion

10-16-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
Haha, well, I mean if it emerges from data on Normal or Ranked Games, or tournaments.
Still, you may wish to include, if not 'roaming' specifically, something like a 'wildcard' choice.

Potentially so even using the teambuilder, new strategies can emerge more easily.

Pryotra

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-16-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by davin View Post
Draft mode is a different story (I can't really speak to that from these data), but we did explicitly try comps with champions that we thought would be considered "unviable" at the time (based on how forums were discussing 'em). We put them in roles/positions that made sense for them at the time (like jungle Eve), and the average response was positive. It was less positive than some of the other setups, but still positive overall. Which actually surprised quite a few of us--we were worried some champions would basically make a composition unacceptable to players. While that's true for some, it's not for the majority. Which is cool!
Not exactly what I was asking, but in the general ballpark. Thanks for the response.

It's not so much about is where these champions are being appropriate, so much as what is the overall health level of the champ? Currently, the number of champions that are beneath an acceptable powerlevel is in recession, as right now Riot is reworking a larger quantity of champions than ever before. However, as Morello put it, there will always be those at the bottom of the pile. Its those champions whose raw power level is too low to consider for competitive play. Urgot and Soraka both come to mind currently. Once you find a champ in this poor state, what is the general reaction to him in champion select? I find this to be incredibly toxic to the player who chooses one of these "bad" champs, as well as to any who attempt to defend them, though its pretty rare that this even occurs.

Also, Jungle eve is probably a terrible example, considering that it actually makes sense if you think about it for longer than 2 seconds. Always has been too, even during her darkest times. Dem ganks.

Lyte

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

10-17-2013
92 of 101 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Plainview View Post
Jungle Eve is not a great example, as she is very good just maligned by the idiots on GD...
That team composition example was in one of the older studies conducted, when it was pre-stealth rework Eve and players had no preview yet of the rework. It was a great example because at the time, Eve was considered one of the least viable champions by the general playerbase.

Lyte

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

10-17-2013
93 of 101 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Explosion View Post
Still, you may wish to include, if not 'roaming' specifically, something like a 'wildcard' choice.

Potentially so even using the teambuilder, new strategies can emerge more easily.
Right now, team leaders can use "Any Role" as an option, which is where we expect some new strategies to emerge.

BelligerentGnu

10-17-2013

Still hoping for an answer on whether this means ranked champion select is going to get put on the backburner over season 4. :/

xXSirBestCoolXx

10-17-2013

Lyte has managed to make many people cry, so he should apologize to the playerbase here. I say again, this getting slowly enforced overtime is wrong on so many levels. It is as no one know their right when they created their account and agreed to the terms. It specifically states that the playerbase has a vote when it comes to these kind of things. Still we weren't told until it's almost released, just disgusted at the moment...

Super Explosion

10-17-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
Right now, team leaders can use "Any Role" as an option, which is where we expect some new strategies to emerge.
Speaking of: So how does this solo/teamleader matching system work?

If I put "any role", will I get any solo player who is queuing for that lane?

Will this pull from people who may not necessarily want to play my overall strategy?

And similarly, how do I get people who want to play my strategy?

Say I want to play Wukong bot with a support: Will I keep getting people who want to play support bottom with a marksman?

Although on the other hand this could be useful for influencing a meta shift by just queuing up a team with support bottom requests and other champions than marksmen, perhaps.

Diamond Song

10-17-2013

this sounds like an amazing addition and seemingly would stop alot of what makes ranked games terrible at times. arguing over roles, x role or feed etc. props to riot for this.

MisterRyu

10-17-2013

The Ramblings of a sleep deprived LoL player-

since too many people are QQing for what seems to be almost no reason, I just thought I would throw my 2cents out here;

This is quite literally one of the best things that could have happened to this game.

Think of all of the times you go into (lets say normal for now) queue and everybody calls their roles as usual. well, plenty of times you get 3 tops, 4 mids, etc etc, forcing people to play a role they didn't want to play and ultimately leading to trolling or the bigger issue here; not wanting to play. that's right, people lose interest in their willingness to play the game effectively if they are forced to play in a position that is not of interest to them, now sure this isn't true for all cases, but for many this is real issue.

Try to remember a few matchups where everybody got their desired role when called. the mood is better, everybody plays better, and even if you lose the match, you feel rewarded by having played a great game (or a close game even).

This WILL lead to an overall better experience in matches, and at the end of the day there will always be trolls but i firmly believe this will lower the troll matches tremendously if it is applied to all queues in the future.

one other plus this is going to have is the ability to practice select champions at will. want to practice zed's combo's in a normal match, before picking up a round of ranked? well queue up for zed (lane of choice) and there you have it, the ability to play the champion of your choice without all the arguing fighting bickering mudslinging namecalling badmouthing toesucking squandering loudmouthing dongerlicking yourmommaing DYING* etc.

also @rioteam, we really need to talk about the entry level in ranked, i seriously think the bar needs to be raised there. but alas, I'll save that topic for another discussion lol.

PS- i apologize for minor grammatical issues and punctuations in advance. (yes i know I is capitalized before you say something, What is internet? THAT, is the question.)