Introducing Team Builder

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ekohz

10-16-2013

cool story, but im still gonna play how i want and jungle teemo, because you dont stop a teemo from jungling

Hex13

10-16-2013

Is there any way that this could be used in duo queue? You and a friend set up roles together and let people fill the rest? This may have been covered already, but thanks for a response anyway.

Happy Firetrucks

10-16-2013

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand now it's enforced.
Boom.

RIP League of Legends.

GodSizer

10-16-2013

everyone waits 10 minutes for those supports...

Jameskun

10-16-2013

Problem already: There's no tactical ideas, just 'what lane do you want?' It doesn't address a plan for a team, so if this would go to ranked, I think you'd find a dynamic of a team to be totally broken, or at the worst useless. It doesn't make a 'good team' as much as it does a 'good lane phase.'

There's more important questions to have than this, but how can anyone work on a team if they don't have any major idea of what they can work with, other than what they are working on?

Sluiceway

10-16-2013

I don't know if this was asked somewhere in the 132 previous pages, but will this new queue be for bot games as well as PvP?

SauronZ

10-16-2013

I think players should have an estimative in numbers of how many rooms/players are on the queue, so that we can better decide whther we'll wait till we find our desired team, or if we'll start our on room.

KingMalice

10-16-2013

Either learn the meta, or don't use this option.

Lyte

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

10-16-2013
79 of 101 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jikker View Post
While this all sounds great in theory, I worry that it will devolve to nothing but confusion, longer wait times, and troll heaven.

What's to stop a team from kicking people for no reason just to troll? Or to have their queue set for an odd position only to have the person that's been waiting for that show up, get laughed at, and they all leave? And what if you queue up for a position expecting a common meta and get something crazy (i.e. I queue up for my typical Ezreal - bot - ADC and get matched with a four mid composition? I didn't ask for that I asked for a nice "normal game"!) What about less played champions; how long do you think an Urgot is going to sit waiting for someone to ask for an Urgot player?

And I don't care that "15% of people are willing to play support". Do you know how often (over a few dif accounts of mine) I have to play support simply because I'm one of those nice 5%? I have seen it called maybe three or four times out of one hundred games and then they usually aren't even good but looking for a free ride. All I see with this is longer queue times, more troll comps, and less strong teams because frankly you are still paired with a load of strangers and you never know when that leader is really a troll queuing up to make your life miserable simply because you believe that AP mid Janna is viable.

I'd really feel better and more at ease about this new system if some of this was addressed. Thanks for listening to my concerns
There are a few anti-abuse systems in place that will combat players or team leaders who intentionally kick players non-stop.

I'm not sure if you play mainly Ranked Modes, but one of the things we saw in Ranked was that a lot of cognitive biases are at play. For example, there's been research on companies that show that the average employee believes they are above average--statistically impossible, but a very robust cognitive bias that exists in all humans. In Ranked Mode, this cognitive bias exists too--as a player, we have no data on anyone else but ourselves, so we tend to believe we're the best player in the lobby. Statistically, we can't always be the best player in every lobby because everyone is typically close in skill-level, but we feel strongly that we're always the best. Because of these cognitive biases, players in these modes tend to want to play the perceived "carry" roles, which is why there are less people opting to play Support. Because Team Builder is currently an independent, non-Ranked queue, we're more confident that more players will opt-in to playing Support.

Cognitive biases like these are one of the reasons why competitive modes are tricky--we have to design a solution that not only makes sense from a game design sense, but also from a psychological sense.

The Fatalii

10-16-2013

I think this is the best Riot post ever!!!