[Champion Suggestion] Cryss, Shadowflame Bowyer

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Nitrosol

12-23-2009

Story
It's common knowledge that people have counterparts, opposites, enemies.
These three things come hand in hand when you take into account the blackened land known as the "Burning Mesas".
The land is that of a desert, blackened by the fiery geysers and volcanoes scattered among the tall dark mesas.
Living under the shade of these mesas are a tribe of people known as the Children of the Shadowflame.
They worship an unknown deity, and are trained to manipulate the power this god supposedly controls.
Cryss is the daughter of the leader of one of these tribes, she was supposedly born with the gift of seeing, capable of seeing the future.
Her tribe worshiped her as if she was the deity she can supposedly commune with, although the rejected all praise.
She really wanted to train as an archer, which, as a woman, she was exempt from doing.
Secretly she trained under the guise of a male student under the master bowyer of the tribe. She displayed unnatural talent for it.
Upon accidentally causing great magic with her bow, she was revealed to her tribe as what she was.
Traditions change, this one did, women archers from the tribe now train under her, learning the art of the Shadowflame Bowyers.
When the Burning Mesas needed a champion for the league, wishing to show her skills to the world, Cryss was the first to volunteer.

Statistics
Health: |||||||:::
Attack: ||||::::::
Magic: ||||||||::

Abilities

Passive
Seeing
Cryss, her team, her towers, and her minions gain an additional 10% added to their line of sight's radius.

Active
Shadowburn
Mana Cost: 60 Mana
Cooldown: 22/18/14/10/6 Seconds

Cryss draws and fires her bow at intense speeds, infusing it with Shadowflame energy as she does.
The target of this spell instantly takes magic damage equal to Cryss' Attack Damage plus 40/50/60/70/80 (+1/AP) and then takes an additional 50/90/130/170/210 (0.6/AP) magic damage over 4 seconds.
While burning, the target's field of view has it's radius reduced by 100/200/300/400/500 Units and are revealed to your team.

Cryss' basic nuke, scales well with both attack damage and Ability power.
This spell is also rather important for escaping single targets.

Billowing Flames
Toggle
Inactive
Cryss deals magic damage equal to 10/20/30/40/50% of her ability power in addition to her attack damage whenever she auto-attacks.

Active
Cryss' attacks and spells splash, dealing 10/20/30/40/50% of their damage to nearby targets as magic damage.
Any negative effects applied with these attacks or spells are also applied in a 100/150/200/250/300 Radius around your target for a 20/30/40/50/60% duration.

All Spells cast while active cost an additional 80/70/60/50/40% Mana and all basic attacks drain 10/9/8/7/6 mana per attack.

This is rather important to Cryss, she deals a nice amount of bonus damage when this ability is inactive, or her abilities can splash, even debuffs splash too, this pretty much can allow attack like Shadowburn to become AoE spells.

Shadowflare
Mana Cost: 70/80/90/100/110
Cooldown: 20 Seconds

Cryss launches a flare consisting of Shadowflame from her bow, travelling an infinite range.
As the Flare travels, the area around the flare has the fog of war cleared away from it for 4 seconds after the flare passes over it.
Additionally, any area cleared by the flare becomes covered by the fog of war for enemies, allowing your team vision, but enemies nothing.
The flare will pass over enemy minions or monsters, dealing 60/90/120/150/180 (+0.6/AP) magic damage to them.
When the flare strikes a champion, they instantly take 2x the damage minions would receive plus 20/50/80/110/140 (+1/AP) over 6 seconds and become unable to clear the fog of war with their sight alone for 6 seconds.

Useful for allowing vision of the map. It travels exactly the same as Ashe's ult.
This is also a powerful minion AoE, capable of dealing HUGE damage in splash if enough minions are struck.
Each time this attack deals damage to a minion, that minion will splash, making this very powerful when used correctly.
Also good for leaving enemies in the dark, literally.

Ultimate
Cascade
Mana Cost: 150/200/250
Cooldown: 120 seconds

Cryss begins loading arrows into her bow, granting her complete vision of the map for up to 10 seconds while she does so.
When Cryss activates the ability again or 10 seconds ends, she launches a huge volley of arrows at the nearest 3 enemy champions.
The first target to be struck with this spell takes 240/380/520 (+1/AP) Magic Damage.
The second target is stunned for 4 seconds.
The third target takes 100/150/200 (+0.3/AP) magic damage per seconds for 4 seconds.
When the third arrow connects, all enemies lose complete vision of the map for 3 seconds.

This spells mana cost is tripled is Billowing Flames is active.

Amazing spell.
During team fights, this spell is an instant "you-win" with billowing flames active, like Absolute Zero is.
Unfortunately, in a 1v1 situation, all you can do is hit the first target with an "average" nuke.
But if you want to save your friends, this is amazing.

Okay, tell me what you think.

Sparkadia

12-24-2009

Nice idea. I like it. Here's a rundown on what I think;

Passive: An interesting idea but with questionable usefulness. Even with improved sight range, most abilities have less maximum range than the champion has default sight range. Again, I say it's interesting and I like the idea but it's certainly not a game breaker by any means. Perhaps another element can be added? I would say improved range for all ranged allies but I can see that being broken. I'll move on.

[Q] Shadowburn: Fair, I guess. Cooldown prevents abuse early game (a shorter CD would be ludicrous). Damage is quite high nonethless and lets her choose the AP or Attack Power builds, which is always nice rather than being pidgeonholed into one build. I enjoy the loss of vision for enemies - Total confusion but not a CC effect. A good idea.

[W] Billowing Flames: It's like Ryze's Ult, more or less with the AoE component. Even with the mana cost increase it hits like a truck in group fights - if you turn this on a spam her skills it is a metric ****ton of damage right there. However that requires mana stacking.. so.. I guess it's good. The base splash of 50% is a large amount if it ALSO applies debuffs, consider decreasing the overall splash in my opinion.

[E] Shadowflare: Again very powerful. Consider this - It's a non summoner Clairvoyance as only a single component! That means checking foresting, Baron.. all that junk comes straight up with it. Also if shot correctly can obliterate creep waves with skill [W] turned on. That could be a single shot down mid lane for 2 waves killed (or more!). The damage initially is very high for also having a DoT component. Although yes, it is a skill shot from long range, from short range its a instant, creep passing through, Ashe's arrow ( as in the damage part). Depending on travel speed of the arrow this could be very broken. Nice idea though.

[R] Cascade: Damage, stun, DoT. I don't think any other spell has so many parts (not to mention all of them being AoE with [W] on!). Perhaps too many. Too much potential for a 4 second, team wide, damage and DoT. Triple cost is huge but it would only take that one Ultimate to win the fight - I don't know if thats how she should be played. Unlike Absolute Zero however, she cannot be interrupted or avoided - that makes it INCREDIBLY potent. All of the upside and none of the downside. Consider adjusting this in a large way.

Overall: I like the idea of a sight obscuring, arrow firing, shadow flinging crazy b**ch and your ideas are original and powerful. I feel that ideas are more important than numbers and with some tweaking I could see her in use - I know I would use her! Good luck with pursuing this champion and keep with the innovation. If you got more champions like this, considering firing them up too! Always nice to see original notions.

Oh, and, First post!

Nitrosol

12-24-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkadia View Post
Nice idea. I like it. Here's a rundown on what I think;

Passive: An interesting idea but with questionable usefulness. Even with improved sight range, most abilities have less maximum range than the champion has default sight range. Again, I say it's interesting and I like the idea but it's certainly not a game breaker by any means. Perhaps another element can be added? I would say improved range for all ranged allies but I can see that being broken. I'll move on.

[Q] Shadowburn: Fair, I guess. Cooldown prevents abuse early game (a shorter CD would be ludicrous). Damage is quite high nonethless and lets her choose the AP or Attack Power builds, which is always nice rather than being pidgeonholed into one build. I enjoy the loss of vision for enemies - Total confusion but not a CC effect. A good idea.

[W] Billowing Flames: It's like Ryze's Ult, more or less with the AoE component. Even with the mana cost increase it hits like a truck in group fights - if you turn this on a spam her skills it is a metric ****ton of damage right there. However that requires mana stacking.. so.. I guess it's good. The base splash of 50% is a large amount if it ALSO applies debuffs, consider decreasing the overall splash in my opinion.

[E] Shadowflare: Again very powerful. Consider this - It's a non summoner Clairvoyance as only a single component! That means checking foresting, Baron.. all that junk comes straight up with it. Also if shot correctly can obliterate creep waves with skill [W] turned on. That could be a single shot down mid lane for 2 waves killed (or more!). The damage initially is very high for also having a DoT component. Although yes, it is a skill shot from long range, from short range its a instant, creep passing through, Ashe's arrow ( as in the damage part). Depending on travel speed of the arrow this could be very broken. Nice idea though.

[R] Cascade: Damage, stun, DoT. I don't think any other spell has so many parts (not to mention all of them being AoE with [W] on!). Perhaps too many. Too much potential for a 4 second, team wide, damage and DoT. Triple cost is huge but it would only take that one Ultimate to win the fight - I don't know if thats how she should be played. Unlike Absolute Zero however, she cannot be interrupted or avoided - that makes it INCREDIBLY potent. All of the upside and none of the downside. Consider adjusting this in a large way.

Overall: I like the idea of a sight obscuring, arrow firing, shadow flinging crazy b**ch and your ideas are original and powerful. I feel that ideas are more important than numbers and with some tweaking I could see her in use - I know I would use her! Good luck with pursuing this champion and keep with the innovation. If you got more champions like this, considering firing them up too! Always nice to see original notions.

Oh, and, First post!
Shadowburn
Look at it like this.
The damage rather sucks.
It's ashe's Volley, just on a single target, but with a dot weaker than teemo's toxic shot.
I'm thinking of buffing the **** out of it.

Billowing Flames
It's all Cryss has, if I nerfed this, flare would be ****py, so would her ultimate.
I may keep the splash damage the same, but lower debuffs. an AoE 3.6 second stun is a bit much, and far more dangerous than the 520 damage nuke with a mediocre splash.

Also, i just updated Billowing Flames inactive effect to now be similar to Ryze's old active toggle.

Shadowflare
Look at it's scaling with billowing flames. Just do it!
Let's look at it with minion farming. Let's assume enemy minions are marching in their line, down the lane.
You fire a flare up towards them.
Lets assume you have a maxed Billowing Flames rank.
At rank 1, shadowflare deals 60 damage to each minion, and the splash effect is about large enough to hit the two minions on either side of that, that is a total of 120 damage to each minion. not enough to kill even the back creeps.

At rank 2, shadowflare deals 90 damage to each minion, splash hits two minions either side, that is 180 damage, still not enough to kill creeps.

rank 3, total of 240, almost enough to kill creep lanes.

Rank 4, 300, Yep, that's enough assuming minions haven't really evolved... and they would have if you maxed billowing flames.

Rank 5, 360, That ought to do it, especially if you have gone an ability power path.

It's really not as strong as you'd think, also, it's nothing like clairvoyance, that instantaneously checks the area out for you, this has to travel.

Cascade
The nuke is weaker than Requiem.
The Stun is Fantastic.
The Dot is "Okay"

It's difficult to aim, yet fantastic in team battles.
I'm going to leave it as it is though.

Nitrosol

12-24-2009

Updates!
Nerfed Billowing flames Debuff duration to 20/30/40/50/60%.
Buffed Shadowburn's DoT effect damage, but reduced it's AP ratio to 0.6/AP
Billowing Flames inactive acts similarly to ryze's old toggle ability. The damage is now additive equal to a percentage of her ability power, but the additional damage alone is magic damage.

Grue

12-24-2009

Abilities one by one:

Passive: I like it. I have basically this exact ability written up on a champion I was toying around with, only I did it by increasing range number as opposed to a set percent.

Shadowburn: The damage and DoT have silly AP scaling. I'm not sure what to say about the FoV effect. It's interesting, but depending on how it works it's either too powerful or totally useless. If it's only supposed to be an escape mechanic that's great, I guess. However, with the exception of a few ultimates you can see units attacking you or hitting you through the fog of war. If it works like that then there's really no point to it. If they can't see you then it might as well just be a blind.

Billowing Flames

Inactive: Way too powerful considering the AP scaling she has.

Active: Cool, I like it but you might as well just go with 100% duration, and take off the increased mana cost.

Shadowflare - Too many effects. The first reveal and hide effect are powerful enough on their own that you don't need the secondary stuff.Just give it a set damage amount.

Ultimate: This ability is poorly defined. This must be global, because otherwise there would be no point in the map reveal. Are the heroes targeted randomly? Does she activate it 3 times? Is the range on the arrows global? How do you define "vision of the map": the mini-map? the actual map itself? If there's only one hero does it hit him with all 3.

As it is this is incredibly overpowered. Up to 10 seconds of total map reveal coupled with a high damage spell, almost the longest stun in the game, and another high damage spell, then enemies lose an important feature of the game for a short time.

I think the idea of a vision/fog of war based champion is great, and I like some of what you've done, but it's like you're trying to cram too much into too few abilities. For her ultimate consider something like

(I know you used this name) Shadowflare (Ultimate)- Cryss fires a shadowflare across the map dealing up to 400/500/600 damage (depending on distance traveled damage) to any champion it hits. If it strikes a target the entire map is revealed for 5/6/7 seconds, and enemies can't see their mini-map for the same duration.
It's useful at short range, but encourages long range use and still gives a vision effect which the character seems based on.