An idea Riot should consider

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kilzqt

11-08-2013

So a little ole' nobody like me got to thinking... I love League of Legends. I love how Riot puts in a lot of effort to make this game great and it's players happy. What I especially love is their aggressive approach of trying to make this game into a validated competitive sport. Now there has been many other games that have tried to do something similar, but for me personally I never thought any of them really had a shot until League came along.

Streamers keep people interested, tournaments and the LCS Provides the arena where pros can compete, and it is all very exciting to watch if you've ever played league. Hell, even if you haven't I've heard of cases where peoples parents find it enjoyable without having a clue of what's actually going on.

All that being said I think League has a solid foundation for becoming something great, something revolutionary. The only thing in question is of course the fickleness of the longevity of games. Most people expect games to last at best a handful of years before they become outdated, and people move on to other things.

I believe Riot is doing what they can to keep their game fresh. I also think that they're doing a fine job. They consistently provide visual upgrades and are always working on ways to improve the games balance and depth. They've even gone back and fixed things that either became obsolete or they acknowledged they got wrong the first time around (think champ reworks). I feel that as long as they continue along this path, in addition to releasing new champions periodically (although further down the line perhaps releasing them at a slower pace [I may be wrong in this though]), the game will never feel outdated.

Anyways, let's forget all that for a minute and think about what makes something recreational like professional sports such a viable, well established business that rakes in so much money?

Only one obvious answer: The fans.

Without fans, there would never have been "The Great One" Wayne Gretzky, "The Great Bambino" Babe Ruth, or "His Airness" Michael Jordan. No one would have cared.

So this is where I really started thinking. Sports only last as long as they have fans. Fans become fans through other fans mostly (think parents/relatives/friends that introduced you to a sport and specific team). In essence, what makes sports stay afloat is die hard fans. Fans that remain fans all their lives and pass it on to their friends and family.

The key here is finding out what keeps a fans loyalty. Certainly many things play a part in this. I believe however, what has the most impact is the location of teams and how they embrace their association with that area. Think about how many New York Rangers fans are in New York, or how many Detroit Piston fans are in Detroit. Putting that city or state name in front of that brand literally invites people to have a sense of belonging to that team.

So how can this relate to the professional scene of League of Legends? Simple: Do the same thing. Now I know we can't have 30 to 50 something teams in the LCS yet to give EVERYONE a piece of that pie, but we can start small by merely making teams associate themselves to a particular region. Say something like the Northeast region and the Southwest, etc. Then maybe, hopefully as the fan-base grows we can add on teams and start associating them with specific states, cities and so on. Before anyone says it, yes we have the regions in association with the rest of the world, but that alone isn't enough. International teams can not compete as often as an "at home" team and other sports already have international teams in addition to their city by city, state by state system.

Now the way professional League works now, players come into the LCS as teams, usually a rag-tag bunch of kids with a keyboard and a dream. Obviously this would have to be changed somewhat in order to develop a system where teams are representing much more than just themselves. How that comes about, I haven't thought of yet because I don't have all the details. It is up for Riot to consider their options.

All this being said, the way Riot is running things could also work. League does not have to have the same system as other sports do in order to be successful. Teams do not have to be associated with a region to have loyal fans, teams like TSM are proof of that. However, the ties of a team and the city it's in is a tried and tested formula that somehow makes teams seem more established, giving it roots in the area it associates itself to. These roots cultivate fans that live and breath loyalty to their team. It becomes part of who they are, just as the fans become part of what the team is and who it represents.

But like I said before- It's just an idea.

TL;DR- Die hard fans makes sports last, They can make LoL and Esports last, They're made by love for the region they live in; Make teams represent regions like in other professional sports (aka Boston Red Sox, LA Kings)

Cavo

11-08-2013

I think that's a long way off.

Profaith

11-08-2013

The main issue with this sadly, is that once you get to high levels of competitive players, the numbers just fall off, as you saw there was only a few teams that did well this year in LCS, 1 could of been finals contender, talent here is pretty shallow from what i have seen and there is just not enough "high caliber" players to even add 2 more teams and it would be the same as it is now, people just root for whoever is the best.

Hippo77

11-09-2013

Definitely a long way off. And I do see them continuing with the online tournaments for top ranked teams to try and get into LCS for a long time.

Kilzqt

11-09-2013

Well a change like that happens or it doesn't. Still, I just posted this as something that Riot should keep in mind when weighing their options going forward.