Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

anyone had much time to play with/against the morgana changes?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ricklessabandon

qa analyst

10-12-2013

i made an update to morgana's tormented soil in the 3.13 patch, and wanted to hear how it's playing out. mostly interested in post-game feedback (on a game-by-game basis if you've played multiple) and bug reports. thanks in advance!

quick summary of the changes:

Quote:

General
  • Attack Range increased to 450 from 425
  • Base Attack Speed increased to 0.625 from 0.579
  • Basic Attack is now more responsive
Tormented Soil
  • Base damage per second decreased to 22/38/52/66/80 from 25/40/55/70/85
  • AP ratio per second increased to 22% from 20%
  • Tormented Soil's damage now increases up to 50% based on the enemy's missing Health
  • Damage application cadence increased to every 0.5 seconds from every 1 second
  • No longer applies a Magic Resist reduction debuff

SlVIR

10-12-2013

edit: actually yes i have. Sorry, just mad. Her beta W still seems to be just as effective/ the same as her live W. In my opinion at least.

beta version slightly better for farming i suppose

MrHarz

10-12-2013

The lack of mr shred prevents Morg from killing caster minions with level 3 soil, this forces me to go up to auto ranged creeps with Morg's short aa range just when your lane opponents are getting scary (5/6.)

I also dislike how your change ruins any synergy I'd have with an allied AP champion like Vladimir or Elise.

Basically I'll take my safer wave clear, jungle clear, sustain and utility over a tiny bit of a selfish damage increase to low hp targets any day.

Lichblade

10-12-2013

i'm just more concerned into what is the direction these changes are for?

like with the MR shred it gave morgana support utility for her team, so she was helpful in a way.

was the changes directed at into making morgana have better waveclear mid to late game? thats what i heard recently with other morgana's players.

Rivenholt

10-12-2013

She got a bit of extra farming power since you switched the ramp up from being timing based to being health based; if you're walking into a fight/minion wave where damage has already been dealt, you get the higher end of her damage instantaneously which is definitely something. It definitely helps to have that extra damage whenever a minion is about to die. As other people have stated, it's not specifically an ideal change for farming, but acts as a trade off instead. Whether the farming aspect change is more beneficial or harmful, I'm undecided.

That said, you lose out on the risk/reward of being able to attempt to land Tormented Soil before her Q and R for extra damage, and the power you can give your other teammates. It not only removes quite a bit of extra power from her, some invisible and some very distinct, but it also makes her kit less compelling; she was never a true combo mage, but she had an interesting synergy she could play off of for decent tradeoffs. Now there's little reason to risk a back loaded Dark Binding after her Tormented Soil. I haven't crunched the numbers so I could be way off, but I also don't think she reaches quite the same damage thresholds as she did before, except in some very specific situations.

I don't particularly see the change as a glance in the wrong direction, but Morgana might require a bit more kit tuning to pull it off.

GG Crono

10-12-2013

I like the idea of Tormented Soil having the % damage conceptually, since it was kind of difficult to take full advantage of the shred against champions. The shred itself was added back when Dark Binding's damage wasn't frontloaded, I believe, so there was a bit more synergy to be had.

But I think the numbers need to be tweaked. If nothing else, I think the percentage should scale as you level Tormented Soil, so that it's something you can choose to level up if you need to deal with HP stackers, or just want to farm harder. As is, it's just as good against HP stackers at Rank 1 as it is at Rank 5, which doesn't do much good for build diversity. I always appreciate it when a champion doesn't have an obvious "best" skill to max first.

xIPMx Antarctica

Recruiter

10-12-2013

I can't speak on Morgana's viability, and I know nothing about numbers tweaking. Heck, I'm not even particularly good at this game. But I do play Morgana a lot, so here's my opinion:

After the change, it's harder for me to farm early, especially levels 3-6. The soil doesn't kill caster minions at rank 3 (champion level 5) by itself anymore, so you have to get in aa range of the caster minions. Morgana's aa is actually nice for farming, in my opinion - it does good damage, and the animation isn't bad. However, her attack speed is rather low, and the range is frustratingly short. This means, to kill multiple minions with autos, you have to get pretty close to the minions and stay there for a while. So auto-attacking the three caster minions at levels 5-6 isn't fun.

And I will really miss the mr debuff, at least until I get used to it not being there. Personally, I thought it gave her an extra dimension of play to land the soil before landing the snare or final ult tick, and it felt really fulfilling when you pulled it off. But on the beta, that same combo feels almost wimpy, because the snare/ult doesn't hit as hard. Even if the damage is the same, it feels less noticeable. And the extra 3% of missing health per tick (or 1.5 for the new half-second ticks?) doesn't feel all that noticeable either when compared to the mr debuff, even when the enemy is really low on health and you know it's dealing more damage. To me, it feels like some of her "Yes, I pulled off an awesome combo!" power was taken and hidden in the soil, which makes me sad.

I hope I can figure out how to farm effectively early-game, even though the pool can't clear the casters at rank 3. And I hope, in time, her combos will feel just as awesome to use as they did before the change, instead of feeling awkward to use like they do now (I'm finding it hard to believe that they will ever feel as awesome without the mr debuff atm). I really hope Morgana is still just as fun to play after the change.

ricklessabandon

qa analyst

10-12-2013

thanks for the feedback so far, all! for those that remember, could you also let me know what you're running as runes, masteries, and start items (especially for those commenting about low-level minion clear). we've tested with a few different sets and i want to make sure don't miss any variables.

i'll make a post with some substance to it on like, monday or so. i'll talk numbers, theory, etc then—probably won't post a ton more this weekend since i need to make sure i actually reset and sleep some before diving back into work. :3

thanks again for the info/insight thus far!

MrLimpet

10-12-2013

I had 1 game as her with magic pen runes and 21/9/0 masteries. My clear was way worse and I felt like there was less interesting gameplay since you can't time your damage with the mr shred. I couldn't go after jungle camps and even I could clear them at a decent rate I couldn't clear mid fast enough to go to them. Late game was kind of irrelevant since one of them left so I can't really comment on that.
I would like some more explanation on the reasoning behind this change though. It's been said that it's to help her burst farm late game but why is that a problem? and if it is a problem how does this help at all?

xIPMx Antarctica

Recruiter

10-12-2013

On live, I actually run 9/0/21 masteries and ap quints, mr/cdr blues, armor/mana regen yellows, and magic pen reds, and dorans ring +2 pot start. This setup works brilliantly for me on live, and the rank 3 caster farming still works.

I tried this same build path on the beta, and I felt like the soil did nothing, so I looked at my stats. I don't know if anyone else is having this issue, but I'm not getting any stats from my mastery page when I'm in game. This could be screwing up my numbers, so I'm gonna mess around with different runes a bit. However, that being said, with a 51 ap start (mag pen reds, ap everything else, and amplifying tome) the third rank still doesnt kill the caster minions.

I would really like the 9/0/21 masteries and mr/cdr blues route to still be viable though, with the minion wave still dying at rank 3. I can't run too many more number tests while this invisible mastery issue exists, but I will try to find some combination of mag pen runes + ap runes + starting items that clears the wave at rank 3. Wish me luck!

EDIT:
56 ap, 0 mag pen: 21 hp left each
51 ap, 8 mag pen: 17 hp left each
40 ap, 14 mag pen: 29 hp left each
25 ap, 20 mag pen: 45 hp left each

It doesn't seem to be possible to clear the caster wave at rank 3 with just runes and an amplifying tome. And if I want to use cdr/mr blues or mana regen/armor yellows, or buy a doran's ring instead of a tome, I don't see how masteries will make up for that (especially if I want to keep my 9/0/21 setup). So no matter how I look at things, I feel like her early minion clear took a big hit.