[Guide] Kayle "The Flying Angel of Awesome"

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Holepuncher

01-05-2010

I've been playing around with Kayle a bit and am having trouble finding an AP build that gets me respectable damage.

If I go pure AP (100-125 by mid game), my damage is decent, but I end up lacking in other aspects. I'm too squishy, my mana regen sux, and my cooldowns are long.

If I try to balance AP, regen, and -cd (50-75 AP by mid game), I feel more well rounded . I have enough mana and I can ult every 36 seconds. I feel more useful to my team this way. However, I lack punch.

Either way, I've been underwhelmed with all of the AP builds I've tried.

Even when I've gone 11-1-8, all of the kills I got were from last hits in group fights. I still lacked the damage to kill anyone 1v1. The item build is designed to make Kayle a glass cannon. The glass part was there, but even with superior items, I still did less burst damage than rize or annie or veigar or eve, etc.

In this sense, AP Kayle feels a lot like AP Janna. With both, no matter how much AP you get, your damage never gets godly.

Basilisk9466

01-05-2010

My instinct for an AP build would be something along the lines of 2 RoA, Nashor's, Zerkers and a Guinsoo's as a baseline, with Frozen Mallet as an expansion, though I'm not sure how well it would work in practice. My usual instinct of Rylai's would be rather wasted, with only one offensive nuke which slows already.

But I agree, I don't think Kayle will ever be a core damage dealer. She's like Ashe - nice support skills, not so much on the gank front. That said, invulnerability, ranged attack, a speed boost and a slow makes her a mean tower diver.

Brontobeuf

01-05-2010

The OP is right on the major thing with Kayle: going AP is the right way to do if you want to optimize her skills.
You can still build her for phys dmg, but you will be far less good than a JAx or a Yi at that.
You can build her to be tank, but you will be far less good than Chogath or Amumu for that.

So, here are the skills we have to work on:
Passive: attack speed (awesome with the sword in flames) & bonus dmg on blast (awesome in AP build).
Blast: AP ratio 1:1. Slow.
Heal & Buff speed: benefits from AP & mana regen & CD red. You want to spam it.
Flame Sword: benefits from AP & attack speed (with lichbane & AP, you deal huge dmg).
Ulti: benefits from CD red.

Well, it sounds obvious to me that you have to start with a Nashor Tooth.
Then you add a lich bane to the trip if you are in advantage, or something adapted to the opposite killer (banshee if she's Annie, thornmail if he's Yi, etc) before the lich bane.

Usually, as you don't have that many gold on Kayle, the game ends here.

With this build :

- Nashor
- Boots (adapted to the opposite team)
- Lich Bane
- Survival item
- If the game goes longer, build your AP.

You just optimise everything in Kayle.

For the mastery, 9/0/21 for Knowledge & CD.
For the summoner spells, I play Ignite & Improved Smite (need gold...). But you can have many different options.
For the runes, I play Magic Pene (red), Mana Regen (yellow), AP/18 (blue), and quints depending on my mood (mana regen, magic pene or Flat-HP).

Just blast spam, heal spam (target the weakest with low magic resist like Twitch) and use your sword to hunt and the game is yours.

HowlingKommando

01-05-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brontobeuf View Post
The OP is right on the major thing with Kayle: going AP is the right way to do if you want to optimize her skills.
You can still build her for phys dmg, but you will be far less good than a JAx or a Yi at that.
You can build her to be tank, but you will be far less good than Chogath or Amumu for that.

So, here are the skills we have to work on:
Passive: attack speed (awesome with the sword in flames) & bonus dmg on blast (awesome in AP build).
Blast: AP ratio 1:1. Slow.
Heal & Buff speed: benefits from AP & mana regen & CD red. You want to spam it.
Flame Sword: benefits from AP & attack speed (with lichbane & AP, you deal huge dmg).
Ulti: benefits from CD red.

Well, it sounds obvious to me that you have to start with a Nashor Tooth.
Then you add a lich bane to the trip if you are in advantage, or something adapted to the opposite killer (banshee if she's Annie, thornmail if he's Yi, etc) before the lich bane.

Usually, as you don't have that many gold on Kayle, the game ends here.

With this build :

- Nashor
- Boots (adapted to the opposite team)
- Lich Bane
- Survival item
- If the game goes longer, build your AP.

You just optimise everything in Kayle.

For the mastery, 9/0/21 for Knowledge & CD.
For the summoner spells, I play Ignite & Improved Smite (need gold...). But you can have many different options.
For the runes, I play Magic Pene (red), Mana Regen (yellow), AP/18 (blue), and quints depending on my mood (mana regen, magic pene or Flat-HP).

Just blast spam, heal spam (target the weakest with low magic resist like Twitch) and use your sword to hunt and the game is yours.
+1

Really like that build.

EDIT: One thing I would add is Cleanse as a summoner spell. This is to combo with your Invulnerability so you'll never miss it.