The limited-skin issue, why RP+Icon+Boarder isnt enough, and a solution.

12345 ... 11
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Atahl

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

10-10-2013

Let me preface this - I own Kitty Kat Katarina, Haunting Nocturne, and Definitely Not Blitzcrank. I have a stake in this, and I'd like to explain my thoughts, and how I feel riot can make it right.

To begin, it's obvious exclusivity has value. The rarer and item is, the more it's worth. In light of this, the compensation we're being given for the broken promise of exclusivity is extremely low. Insultingly so, in my personal opinion. (Disclaimer: Riot can do whatever they want, but it's extremely bad business to go back on your word to your customers, even worse customers who've been with your company for years. Stabbing loyal customers in the back is bad)

Someone will say I'm being selfish. I respectfully disagree. When I bought the skin, they were advertised with the explicit promise "Buy these NOW, or FOREVER hold your peace. There will NEVER be another opportunity to purchase these. Now or never!" This urgency meant if you wanted one of these skins, you felt pressure to make sure to buy the RP during the short window they were available. When you got it, you were buying a skin, and a promise - these skins are exclusive to those from this event. When they (read: other people) see this skin, they'll know you've been around for a while.

This was previously a joy only awarded to people who owned King Rammus, UFO Corki, and so forth. I may want UFO Corki, but tough noogies, I wasn't around then. Getting a chance to buy my own "piece of history" was nice. I knew if I was playing this game years later, people'd see my skin and go "wow, she's got that limited skin! She's been around a long time!" much the same way I felt seeing King Rammus/UFO Corki.

And now they want to take that away from me? Why is my exclusivity, recognition of my YEARS of loyalty to Riot, my desire to show that I've been here a while, and have that recognized worth less than those beta players / UFO corki timeframers?

A icon, and a faded vintage boarder are NOT going to cut the mustard. The boarder and icon feel like they could have been done in (being very generous) a day at MOST of iteration. They're not visible in game. They're visible for maybe the 30 seconds you're in pregame, and then loading. Then everyone forgets. Your in-game self isn't recognizable as special anymore. You're getting 1-3 minutes at most of recognition, as opposed to 40-60 minutes.

The bottom line is the exclusivity is worth FAR more than the 975 RP we spent years ago. FAR, FAR more. We're not even getting close to the exclusivity value back here. I feel betrayed and my value as a longterm customer is being spit on.

NOW, THAT BEING SAID, I'M NOT HERE TO WHINE WITHOUT OFFERING SOME IDEA HOW TO FIX THIS AND MAKE IT RIGHT.

One part of what made these skins so valuable is that they demonstrated, IN GAME, that you have been a loyal League fan / Riot supporter for years. The only way to recreate this value is to give something in game that is exclusive. Period. No lame boarder / icon is going to recreate the value of an exclusive skin.

I propose Riot creates a single skin, an exclusive "Limited owner" skin that EVERY person who purchased a limited skin recieves. This trades the 34 limited skins for one, but gives EVERY player who bought something expecting exclusivity something exclusive.

This skin could be something awesome, or something mundane. "Unlimited Syndra." Just something exclusive, IN GAME, for those who were promised exclusivity in game.

Alternatively, or in addition to this - Permanent ward skins have been making a showing finally. This is another way they could demonstrate in-game exclusivity to those who purchased it. Ideally in this case, they'd make four - one for each skin 'event' - a exclusive harrowing ward, an exclusive christmas ward, an exclusive soccer ward, and an exclusive Winter olympics award.

The long and short of it is - A part of what we bought was in-game recognition of our legacy and loyalty to Riot. Having that taken away and not replaced isn't acceptable, in my opinion. RP? I can go spend money and get RP, right now. I can't replace my exclusive skin.

TL;DR EXCLUSIVITY HAS A FAR GREATER VALUE THAN A LAME FADED BOARDER AND EQUALLY LAME ICON. UNLESS THE EXCLUSIVITY IS REPLACED, IN AN IN-GAME CAPACITY, IN SOME WAY, SHAPE, OR FORM, WE ARE NOT BEING TAKEN CARE OF AS CUSTOMERS.

[EDIT 1]: This has nothing to do with being a special snowflake. It has everything to do with Riot acknowledging they sold us a promise of exclusive content, so we deserve what we paid for.

I'm totally sympathetic towards those who want these skins. Kitty Kat Katarina is awesome. I'm happy that some people will be able to get her now.

That said, that doesn't make it right for us. We deserve a piece of exclusive content, considering that is what we paid for with these skins. They're okay with Limited King Rammus and Limited UFO Corki, gifts showing 'legacy player' status, in game tokens of "I played LoL when it was still new" Those were understood as limited - I understood this and never once complained.

I did, however, buy my Kitty Kat Katarina skin with the understanding that it could be MY benchmark skin, my indication of my time played, my in-game trophy to show off "I supported riot year 1/2"

If riot doesn't replace that timeframe exclusivity in some in-game way, shape, or form, this will not be made right.

EndlessCycle

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-10-2013

op is a special snowflake. I LIKE IT SO MUCH MORE BCOZ U CANT HAVE IT

Maruset

10-10-2013

I'm honestly not upset about this mostly because I still have UFO Corki to hold onto, but I like getting more stuff so I upvoted.

slusho

10-10-2013

I wouldn't mind if they spent at least SOME effort on the rewards for those who own those limited edition skins. Make the overlay decent and give unique summoner icons for each even you obtained a limited edition skin from. Snowdown 2009 should not have the same icon as Harrowing 2011 imo.

Jannas Thong

10-10-2013

Good suggestion.

+1 and agree.

The people who are disagree are nothing but the ones who whined and made Riot cave.

There should without a doubt be a limited edition skin for these people.

Bloodpaly

10-10-2013

I'm sad cause I didn't buy any of the exclusive skins.

If I knew they were gonna be free...

And exclusive in the first place was a dumb idea they should have all been seasonal skins.

My Hot Body

10-10-2013

What was that... that thing that people were *****ing about when people wanted more rewards for non-ranked players?

Something about entitlement and all that jazz?

The game and skins are Riot's property. Quit being a spoiled brat, they don't have to give you anything at all.

WindLord7070

10-10-2013

how aobut they slightly change the skins and update them but people who had them originally ge the original look? bad idea? good idea?

The Lady Gaga

10-10-2013

While I like your concept, it is counter-productive to the direction that Riot just moved in of trying to make LE skins no longer LE. (As is the entire fallacy of them not making ALL LE skins non-LE; but that's for another day...)

For me at least, your concept lacks the unique feel that each champion skin individually was able to provide for people. Perhaps it could be used in conjunction with my concept? http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com....php?t=3937858

Riot has shown a strong dislike for LE skins by this point, but they seem to be perfectly content with LE Summoner Icons. I also like the ward skin idea, and it would be neat if each ward skin was representative of the skin you owned (that is a lot of work though; but Riot is without a doubt going to make bank on the re-release).

Mitsuki

10-10-2013

Seriously its a fricken VIRTUAL ITEM. What are you going to do go around and be like oh yeah I got this skin awhile ago I am so cool. The game has changed over the years and new people have joined. I am sick and tired of the special snowflakes who think just because they got something YEARS ago that no one else should have it. It's the entitled people who ruin games and ruin things other people want. Goth Annie all over again. I swear Riot better not cave into the QQ of the special snowflakes. You act like you are the only one that has been supporting Riot. News flash anyone who has been spending money on the company is a loyal supporter not just you.

12345 ... 11