Unit collision, selection and other deviances.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

lhauschild

12-14-2010

Hello folks,

I didn't know where to post this, as this post includes but isn't exclusive to the HUD. Please excuse any mistake and move to the right forum if necessary.

I've been playing LoL since sunday - coming from other RTS games and being a former Dota addict - and it's been hard to find my hero when a brawl starts between 4 or more heroes between creeps.

After a little testing of game mechanics and through my experience as an Art Director, I think I found out some reasons to the why it happens. My intention is to create a meaningful discussion that could lead to game improvements and to better understand the game design so I can be a better player.

1st - There's almost none unit collision, heroes and can pratically enter inside one another, most of the time I lose my hero in the battle because of this. Also, the allied creeps don't offer much protection blocking melee heroes from coming your way.

I'm interested in knowing why this was done this way. Was it made to help the new players escape ganks by running? This makes "blocking" other units with your hero (a skill that I consider very useful) non-existent.

2nd - There's no "selection circle" marking your hero and the unit you're inspecting. It would be very helpful data for the user to see this feedback.

3rd - Everything shines. The tower attack's shine, most hero attacks and spells shine, the creeps attack shine (a lot). Maybe it is a problem of adaptation, that over time i'll get used to, but I think this, allied with the "no unit collision", contributes in a meaningful way to confusion in game.

Could someone from Riot elucidate me about this? I'm very confused about these design decisions.

IMPORTANT: I'm not trying to start a flame war, though trolls will most likely find reason to flame.
Cheers,
lhauschild

Mazurati

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-14-2010

1 - If you play more there is collision among creeps which can be quite annoying, but in team fights, I've never payed attention, but it seems like I can't quite click on a champion because they are being covered by another.

2 - selection circle I would agree on, but for champions like LeBlanc or Shaco it would kinda suck since on the rare occasion it has saved me that someone has attacked my mirror on mistake

3 - I loved the movie The Shining.. 5 stars IMO

lhauschild

12-14-2010

Mazurati,

1 - I never noticed any creeps blocking the heroes from the other team from beating my ass up. I position my hero directly behind my creeps but the melee heroes from the other team go right through them.

2 - The selection circle would not appear for everyone, just like in other RTS games, it just indicates what you have selected.

3 - That's a good movie.

Cheers,
lhauschild