Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Xerath, the Magus Ascendant Rework on PBE Today!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

10-17-2013

ok so after playing through a couple lag infested matches (and it wasnt just me in was everyone in the game. whats the deal riot?) it seems that he's being nerfed a bit too much. in the most recent game i played, a full E>W>Q combo didnt even get a heim to half health (both level 5, both with dorans ring). perhaps im missing the point of being a mage but if you are able to get a full combo on someone (especially another mage-like champ) they shouldnt be able to walk away with that much health.

the dmg nerfs are rough as it is but increasing the slow on a champ thats already not very mobile is kinda crazy. You also lowered both the damage I just dont understand the reasoning behind this so if you could, Xelnath or Zenon, please explain in detail why you want to make him more vulnerable. is being a low health low defense mage not vulnerable enough??

As for the nerfs on R i think either the dmg should be increased a bit (i think 185/210/235 would be a good) or the explosion radius should be reverted (i guess your internal testers deemed it was too hard to dodge although i never had much issue wit that). as it is now, its too easy to dodge and even IF you land a hit its not doing the kind of damage a mage ult should do. The removal of vision was a horrible idea. as far as offensive use its crippling. it makes it almost impossible to make full use of the fact that it has a huge radius. for example if a low health champ walks out of vision (lets say he pushed a lane then walked away) you should be able to pinpoint where that champ went when you use your ult otherwise whats the point having such a long range? also as a defense use, its important to know nearby threats so you can deactivate ascension since you likey will have the camera too far from your champion to see if anyone is approaching you. its pretty lame when you activate it and the enemy jungler already bursted down half your health (or just straight up kills you) because you were rooted and didnt see them approaching because your camera was focused far off on the low health mid champ

well... thats just my rant... id appreciate some answers to any of my concerns or maybe even some changes to occur.

CoBTyrannon

10-17-2013

Ok guys i was really bored today in my lectures so i made my own Version of Xerath. He´s imbalanced as f*u*c*k, but i would have a lot of fun playing him for shi*ts and giggles xD
Do NOT take this as a serious suggestion, but take some ideas if you want

Feel free to discuss and hate me for it ^^

Here it is my product of boredom and incarnation of OP!

Quote:

The Fun Iteration:

Passive: Arcane Atunement
When Xerath stands still he uses his time to weave Energy from his surroundings granting him Arcane Prowess. He gains 1 Stack of Arcane Prowess per 0.1 Seconds he stays on the same spot(Max 20 Stack aka 2 Seconds). For every Stack of Arcane Prowess he gets 2% Mpen. When he starts moving he transmutes this Arcane Energy(stacks) into strengthening his Physical Form granting him 1%AP as MRes and 1%AP as Armor for 2 seconds

Q: Arcanopulse (DPS: 46+0.14)
First Cast: Xerath starts charging(atleast 1.5 times as PBE now), increaing the Range of Arcanopulse over the next few seconds. While Charging, Xerath can not attacl or use any other abilities and he roots himself to the ground making him immobile while charging. After 4 Seconds, Arcanopulse cancels and his mana is restored.
Second Cast: After a brief cast time Xerath fires a Beam of Energy in a line that deals Damage to all enemies hit and leaves his immobile state. When the effect ends, he gains 35% increased Movementspeed for 2 seconds.
Click to move will cancel the root immediately.

Range: 1000--> fast Chargeup-->1500
Dmg: 70-230+ 0.7AP
CD: 7-5sec
Mana: 85-125MP

W: Arcane Vortex (DPS:28.5+0.09AP)
Xerath Summons a swirl of Arcane Anomaly, damaging everyone caught in it. Targets in the Center take extra Damage. 0.5secs impact delay. NO Slow!
Range: 1000
Dmg: 50-190+0.6AP
Dmg-Center: +50%
CD: 14-10sec
Mana 80-120MP

E: Mana Barbs / Mage Chains (DPS: 22+0.03AP)
Xerath lobbes Manaspikes pinning down enemies. Stun duration 1.5 secs. Diameter about Karthus W. Projectilespeed fast. Kinda like an empowered Bolashot from Rengar but as a Skillshot.

Dmg: 80-220+0.3AP
CD: 14-10 secs
Mana: 80-120MP

Ultimate R: Taste of Freedom
Xerath probed his Seal and found a Weakness in its defenses to temporarily force through his Shell to drain from his real Power!
Xerath takes 1 second to mount up(complete immobilization) and Channels all his Power to abuse the weakness in his seal, Providing him with 2/3/4 Empowered Casts within the next 7 seconds(Please watch the Cooldowns of the empowered Spells).
Because of its sheer Power Xerath will send an arcane ripple all over the map that can be sensed by everyone on the map .(Warning).
He can unmount himself again with pressing R. Every Empowered Cast that was not used provides him with a 250+0.4AP Shield.
Manacost: 100/150/200

Empowered Q: Plane Cracker

After a brief cast time Xerath fires a wide Beam of Energy in a line that deals Damage to all enemies hit.
Range: 1500 width tripled
Dmg: 250+0.5AP
CD: 3 Seconds
Mana: No Cost

Empowered W: Arcane Barrage (Spammable)

Xerath calls down a a Locus of Destruction, damaging everyone caught in it. Targets in the Center take extra Damage. 0.5secs impact delay. NO Slow!
Range: 2500/3500/4500
Dmg: 200+0.4AP
Dmg-Center: +50%
CD: 1 Sec

Empowered E: Burst of Power

Xerath releases a Ringshaped pulse that pushes all enemies away. Expansionspeed like Nautilus-E.
Range: 700
Dmg: 100+0.2AP
CD:10secs

Overall:
DPS: 96.5+0.26AP
FullCircle-Dmg: 1550+1.6AP+3*0.4AP+1*0.5

Notes:
Passive and speedup line up nicely
E and W line up on CD
Ranges match each other
A lot of Choices within the Ult
Full AoE Skillshotkit
Immobile+Dmg vs. Mobile+Defense Tradeoff
Can single one target out or spread the damage all over
Can be a Tankbuster if he is left alone
Tried to keep the new Ulimate in it, but wanted to be able to cast other spells while Ulting too.
Level 18 - DPS Comparisons:
Quote:

Live-Server:
DPS(lvl18): 80.75 + 0.22AP DPS
FullCircle-Dmg: 1330+3.2AP
PBEV4:
DPS(lvl18): 96.85+0.276AP Dps
FullCircle-Dmg: 1559+3.31AP
Funbuild:
DPS(lvl18): 96.5+0.26AP
FullCircle-Dmg: 1550+3.3AP

--> Very close to PBE Values!

Important Values:
Quote:

LIVE:
Arcanopulse: 47+0,12AP DPS
RANGE 900/1300
Dmg 75-235+0.6AP
CD 7-5sec
Mana: 65-85MP

Locus of Power:
16-40% Mpen
CD: 20-4sec
No Cost

Mage Chains: 33.75+0.1AP DPS
Range: 600/1000
Dmg: 70-270+0.8AP
CD: 12-8secs
Mana: 70-90MP
Stun: 1.5 SEC

Ult:
Arcane Barrage:
Range: 900/1300
Dmg: 825+1.8AP
CD:80-60
Mana 150-210MP

Overall:
DPS(lvl18): 80.75 + 0.22AP DPS
FullCircle-Dmg: 1330+3.2AP

Quote:

PBE:
PBEArcanopulse: 46+0.14AP DPS
Range ~700-1500
Dmg: 70-230+0.7AP
CD: 7-5sec
Mana 80-120MP

Locus of Destrucion: Center 30.4+0.096AP Dps
Dmg: 50-190
CenterDmg: 80-304+0.96AP
CD 14-10sec
Mana 80-120MP
CenterSlow: 60%

Stasis Orb: 20.45+0.04AP DPs
Dmg: 85-225+0.45AP
CD: 13-11sec
Mana: 60-80MP
Stun 1-2sec

Ult:
Arcane Ascension:
Range: 2900/3700/4500
Dmg: 400-800+1.2AP
CD: 150-120
Mana:100MP

Overall:
DPS(lvl18): 96.85+0.276AP Dps
FullCircle-Dmg: 1559+3.31AP

Maeda AtsuGOAT

10-17-2013

Xelnath,

You mentioned removing the 15% bonus AP because it wouldn’t feel good, since Xerath’s damage would have to be lowered to compensate. Free, unconditional magic penetration is the same problem. It’s the same way that Darius’s armor penetration doesn’t feel particularly strong on him, because he’s balanced around having it on in every situation and that forces his other skills to become weaker. While the amount of penetration Xerath has on live may be overtuned, it feels good because you have control over when it’s on and off, and feel stronger for it. Perhaps make it so that Xerath gains bonus magic penetration on consecutive shots against champions? Some sort of way to give the player agency over the passive.

Arlich

10-17-2013

I agree with absolutely everything livest carry said.

10-17-2013

just want to reiterate how crippling not having vision on the ult is... the game i just played someone walking across the river towards purple team. (past a ward in the bush on baron side) easily escaped me because the vision was removed... i ended up wasting my ult on what would have otherwise have been a sure kill. you might as well make R the same range as his Q if you arent going to have vision to back it up. Please put vision back on the ult.... taking it off was a really bad idea.

GlaciesPhoenicis

10-17-2013

Quote:
just want to reiterate how crippling not having vision on the ult is... the game i just played someone walking across the river towards purple team. (past a ward in the bush on baron side) easily escaped me because the vision was removed... i ended up wasting my ult on what would have otherwise have been a sure kill. you might as well make R the same range as his Q if you arent going to have vision to back it up. Please put vision back on the ult.... taking it off was a really bad idea.

The new alt is supposed to encourage warding, tell your support to ward.

Arlich

10-17-2013

For those of you wanting the vision back, I think that is absolutely absurd. A version of this spell released with vision would definitely have less damage then a version without it, turning his focus away from damage even more. Also, one spell shouldn't contain everything, it should have a balance of pros and cons, with a clear purpose. One ability with too many effects and answers to itself becomes muddy. Adding such a huge thing as this vision obscures the abilities purpose. Simplicity that still has depth and synergy that isn't forced is the name of the game. Anyone who knows anything about the principles behind the creation of individual skills and synergistic kits wouldn't want the vision, which is why the developers removed it.

Voodoo Jelly

10-17-2013

Quote:
Crownface:

I am not being petty and saying that Xerath was reworked in a way that I don't like, so therefore Xelnath didn't listen to the community. I'm objectively stating that I don't feel like this rework was driven by the community, but almost exclusively internally. It was never said that this rework was going to be driven through community suggestions, but it definitely seemed like it was supposed to take more than it did. I never saw anyone suggest that Xerath be given Dark Binding and what basically amounts to Leona's ult. The way I see it, is it's just Xelnath telling the community that this change is going to happen because it's happening, and nothing can be done to change that, which is a huge red flag for me.

i am way behind so ignore me if this has already been addressed: but is this person aware of the massive Xerath poll taken for people who professed to be Xerath maining summoners? :X

Arlich

10-17-2013

Maybe to add some color to the passive, you could give him more magic pen against targets depending on their distance from you? That would give you a sense a having more power at a distance.

This would also prevent the nerfs to all of his spells to accommodate a permanent mp bonus. Instead of nerfing ALL of his damage to counteract a permanent mp bonus This would instead reward skillful aim and it would be unnecessary to nerf the hero around a flat mp bonus. The live xerath isn't balanced around a flat mp bonus, that's why he feels so strong in locus.

since each of his abilities have different max ranges, each of your skills would have different caps to how much mp they can achieve.

Despia

10-17-2013

Quote:
crims0nangel:
Best and truest post in this entire thread. Its amazing how the majority of people who are giving this rework positive feedback give off the impression of never playing xerath or playing xerath and being unable to use his kit to the maximum of its ability.

My bad. I gave downvote on your post. It was a mistake. Sorry.