Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Xerath, the Magus Ascendant Rework on PBE Today!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

IS1d2f73fc65c5cecdf878c

10-17-2013

Aaaaand they just nerfed Xerath's damage again.

From Reign of Gaming:

Stasis Orb [E] - Now deals 85/120/155/190/225 damage (Down from 100/140/180/220/260)
Stasis Orb [E] - Scaling is back to +0.45*AP (Down from +0.6*AP)
Ascension [R] - Arcane Barrage now deals 125/175/225 damage (down from 150/200/250)

Edit: I'll ask for the last time, PLEASE change the splash icon to the previous one. I can make that myself too but it's a bit of a hassle to do it with each update.

Fawstus

10-17-2013

Taking in consideration some information that I still can't quite confirm, I'd like to know if Xerath hasn't become more vulnerable than ever to his old counters.

Let me elaborate: Old Xerath used his quite long range on Q, even without W on, to harass with relative safety from about 900 range. Knowing that to "instant cast" his Q right now he has to it at 700 range, does it not make it much more risky for him? If thats the case and maybe Q stops being the 'harass' skill, the next candidate is W, with its 1000 range. But is W a reliable skill for harassing? Being able to hit the sweet spot is a requirement or a bonus for when you are really skilled?

Also, I'd like to discuss the mindset on his new Q a little further. The other skill that is being compared to Xerath's Q is Varus' piercing arrow, both slowing the respective champions down and increasing the range based on the time spent charging. I'd just like to remember that while Varus' skill has a complementary part of his damage, used basically to poke and finish foes, Xerath's Q has both those uses and is an essential part of his damage potential. I am just saying that those skills should be balanced accordingly, since Xerath cannot depend on AAs to deal his damage, so his Q should be much more realiable in lane.

Edit:

Why changing back to his previews splash icon? The one before the splash art upgrade? Damn, the new art is so kick ass, what is wrong with the icon?

IS1d2f73fc65c5cecdf878c

10-17-2013

Quote:
Fawstus:
Why changing back to his previews splash icon? The one before the splash art upgrade? Damn, the new art is so kick ass, what is wrong with the icon?

No, I mean the current one from live, which is from the new artwork.

The PBE one has a white background behind Xerath and it is quite distracting and unnecessary. It also has less effects.

Fawstus

10-17-2013

Quote:
IS1d2f73fc65c5cecdf878c:
No, I mean the current one from live, which is from the new artwork.

The PBE one has a white background behind Xerath and it is quite distracting and unnecessary. It also has less effects.

Now I get it. If it is disturbing the gameplay, it should be changed. But I'd rather keep the new artwork.

IS1d2f73fc65c5cecdf878c

10-17-2013

Quote:
Fawstus:
But I'd rather keep the new artwork.

Yeah, the new splash artwork is amazing. It's the change of the splash icon that bugs me.

So, I just played V5 with bots. With lowered damage on E and R, his damage is quite nonexistant now. His AOE on R is quite smaller too, bots can easily dodge it by constantly moving left and right.

If this goes on live he will be much more rarely picked than his live version because many mid mages do much better at almost everything.

Volgust

10-17-2013

Quote:
Fawstus:
Taking in consideration some information that I still can't quite confirm, I'd like to know if Xerath hasn't become more vulnerable than ever to his old counters.

Yes, this entirely is true. Not only that but in a bitter fit of irony, has new counters also that out-harass him with so much ease. (AkA: Lux, Gragas also now)

Quote:
Let me elaborate: Old Xerath used his quite long range on Q, even without W on, to harass with relative safety from about 900 range. Knowing that to "instant cast" his Q right now he has to it at 700 range, does it not make it much more risky for him? If thats the case and maybe Q stops being the 'harass' skill,

If his base range was at 900 as well and maxed at 1,400 with damage increase for charging it (they get a much, much longer warning that it's being fired, along with it being in line with Varus Q, if he holds it to max range it also does more damage) I'd say it's good. Yet...it doesn't.

Quote:
the next candidate is W, with its 1000 range. But is W a reliable skill for harassing? Being able to hit the sweet spot is a requirement or a bonus for when you are really skilled?

I've been mentioning it in every post. It's entirely unfair on us that W has only the 'sweet spot' that now does any actual damage while others run around with their AoE either having longer range (Lux 1,000 + Slow until detonation, Gragas 1,100 with massive explosion radius+atkspd debuff) while what do we get? "Hit point center for the actual intention of the skill to be pulled off or you're fked "

Quote:
Also, I'd like to discuss the mindset on his new Q a little further. The other skill that is being compared to Xerath's Q is Varus' piercing arrow, both slowing the respective champions down and increasing the range based on the time spent charging. I'd just like to remember that while Varus' skill has a complementary part of his damage, used basically to poke and finish foes, Xerath's Q has both those uses and is an essential part of his damage potential. I am just saying that those skills should be balanced accordingly, since Xerath cannot depend on AAs to deal his damage, so his Q should be much more realiable in lane.

I agree entirely. He's a siege mage, he has literally 0 self-peel (don't you dare say 0.5 sec is something except a kata-ult interrupt) yet has only 1 'instacast' long range skillshot where you don't have to worry about Minions being in the way and you aim it where you want to go instantly. Sadly, it's his W.

Bsul

10-17-2013

Please do not remove the strong bursts, I understand that ud nerf a bit , but if u nerf the ult and take away the chance of following it up with anything else, what do we have left?

Bsul

10-17-2013

how about we press Q and charge it up, and keep it charged for about 5 more seconds, we can press any other spell to cancel it and refund 50% back?

Arlich

10-17-2013

I think it is an issue that Xerath now has NO peel.

Why not just reverse his E?
Make it so it increases in damage as it travels, but the stun lowers. Max 2 seconds close, .5 at max range.
This would make it unique from Taric's stun, but a little closer to nidalee.
Edit: to make it completely unique, you could give it flat damage and stun rates at the first half and second half of its range, perhaps even going as far as no damage in the first half and no stun in the second.

I don't like the idea of having to rely on a long range stun to land your skills. He isn't a CC mage, and a long range stun would turn him into one of the best initiators, which is not the point of Xerath. Let your team initiate, then you wreak havoc.

I'm not in the PBE right now, but I assume his W doesn't instantly hit, making the 'sweet spot' more reliant on landing a stun first. Instead, why not make his W instantly land to to make up for the stun removal on the E? Then he can rely more on a slow to land his skills at a long range instead of a stun, giving him more room in his 'damage budget' since it isn't being spent on a crazy 2 second long range stun.

Eyrgos

10-17-2013

Quote:
ZenonTheStoic:
-snip-

A Few Things:

Q1 I still feel it would feel so much better if it started slightly wider but narrowed a bit as it increased in range (do I want shorter-range, wider aoe for wave-clear or longer-range, narrow snipe effect?)... it feels way too much like a Varus arrow atm, for one

Q2 Visually it feels busy/screen-cluttering to have the "expansion circle" always filled in--please just outline the expansion with a perimeter-line & have it fill in as you charge.

W1 I think the disparity between a "sweet-spotted" strike & a "non-spotted" strike is a little too drastic... I know you want that hit to feel extremely rewarding, but 10% at all ranks on the outside? I think scaling from 10-25% on the outside would be better. Or even 15% or 20% flat at all ranks on the outside would feel nicer. You already receive a huge damage bonus, and the effects of such a scaling wouldn't really set in till mid-late game.

E1 I would love to see this increase in acceleration as it traveled... really, really love it--I think an accelerating effect would really give the ability a nice punch & feel more rewarding as a result.

E2 I really badly want to try this with the "Essence Flux" (pass through minions) effect. I know you said it's hard to teach to enemies, but I truly think it would catch on quickly enough & I just believe it fits this ability SO WELL. Can you please just let us try it this way on the PBE for a short-time, see how it tests with the PBE community?

R1 I feel like it should feel a bit more like a mortar/potshot... in-turn, taking a little bit more skill to land. I'm happy you slightly reduced the radius however I dislike that it's even quicker to fire off. It's absurdly easy to land, which to me feels like it has too little counter play (nigh nonexistent).

EDIT1: Added "E2"
EDIT2: Adjusted "W1" & "E2"
EDIT3: Adjusted "R1"

@ZenonTheStoic ZenonTheStoic