Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Xerath, the Magus Ascendant Rework on PBE Today!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Stevev45

10-11-2013

It seems like the only thing that remains from his old kit is his q.

Not sure why this couldn't have just been a different champ. If you had this kit with all different graphics no one would have known you started with Xerath.

Darklightning

10-11-2013

Quote:
Xelnath:
Whoa! Great feedback everybody.

I'm really impressed you guys have put so much time and effort into the replies.

A few bullet points:

I agree - at level 6 and 11, its way too hard to dodge and hits too hard. Will tune this back.

That said, I want to try an experimental version of his ultimate on the next PBE push where you get more shots but they hit for less. If this isn't satisfying, we'll revert it.

E - will not be making this targetted. I can consider letting it pass through minions - but then the stun will need to be much shorter at rank 1. There's a lot of value in this ability having the high damage, single target save/stun it has right now.

I do agree that I miss having a clear way to stun a backline target - but short of turning his E into an W style aoe stun, I don't feel there's a clear win here that isn't extremely frustrating.

I'm excited you guys love the rework so much. This makes me beam with pride.

I rather it pass through minions with a shorter duration. Otherwise it's just a Morgana stun, or Lux Stun. That way it is a little easier to land, and then I can drop my slow right on them and start to ult them. PLEASE

Ironstryde

10-11-2013

A thought on "Stasis Orb." I know you said the visuals are pretty much in place. It would be cool if the orb grew into an arcane stasis field on impact. Same graphic, only scaled to champion size with transparency. This would look amazing, and would really improve counter play against Xerath. I know visual clutter is a major concern in teamfights. I realize you have to walk a fine line on this.

My thought process on it improving counterplay would be as opposed to something like Taric stun which can get lost in a chaotic group fight, a stasis field clearly indicating STUN! and then vanishing tells me:

a. I have control back, that was clearly Xerath's stun, time to focus him!
b. Time to cleanse/escape once I see that clear visual queue.
c. Xerath is clearly about to focus X target. As a teammate, time to peel/assist.

Not to mention it would be so much more satisfying to land then a whirly stun icon above your opponents head. I know this is a big ask, but something I hope you take into consideration. Thanks again for your efforts. I haven't been this excited to try out a new kit in a while.

Special note, Varus's Q is my favorite skill in the game. Really glad to see another champion using similar mechanic. So satisfying to land considering the setup. Really feels sniperish, similar to lining up the scope in an FPS.

TwistedBlack25

10-11-2013

I REALLY hope they change the animations on his ult. As soon as I payed full attention to them, they looked like little..rain drops.

LoLKiru

10-11-2013

Right now the main issues people seem to be having with his kit summarized from the pages i've read (so Xelnath can just see a summarized post instead of having to read through absurd amounts of pages<3)

Q: Feels a bit unexciting, interupts the flow of Xerath's combos with its long charge + casting time

W: The most solid spell Xerath has, i've seen almost no complaints about this (other than tooltips not showing certain things)

E: The usual things, duration of the stun, passthrough minions or not, etc

R: Doesn't feel impactful enough visually wise as someone with the title "Magus Ascendant" should be dishing out MASSIVE bursts of power if his limiters are removed as the skill description says

R also seems to have a lack of counterplay on the opponents part due to the huge range and missile speed, as for the vision; I feel the ultimate NEEDS it to work.

TL Pride

10-11-2013

Quote:
LoLKiru:
Right now the main issues people seem to be having with his kit summarized from the pages i've read (so Xelnath can just see a summarized post instead of having to read through absurd amounts of pages<3)

Q: Feels a bit unexciting, interupts the flow of Xerath's combos with its long charge + casting time

W: The most solid spell Xerath has, i've seen almost no complaints about this (other than tooltips not showing certain things)

E: The usual things, duration of the stun, passthrough minions or not, etc

R: Doesn't feel impactful enough visually wise as someone with the title "Magus Ascendant" should be dishing out MASSIVE bursts of power if his limiters are removed as the skill description says

R also seems to have a lack of counterplay on the opponents part due to the huge range and missile speed, as for the vision; I feel the ultimate NEEDS it to work.

Q: increase the base range slightly, charge .3 seconds faster, reduce ap ratio by X amount
W: fine as is
E: Passthrough minions, stun length the same, range of E same/a little longer, lower base damage to 180 or 175(at max lv). Clearer visualization of being stunned by E
R: More threatening looking visuals, Increase delay between cast and impact time. Add delay between each cast.

I think this is what most people are thinking no?
*note: I didnt include changing the animations as I think that's something they're still working on

turkeyBACON

10-11-2013

It might just be me but I'm not digging the Q animation. Since the wind up has him "gathering power" over one shoulder, it feels like it should be mechanically be cast from that angle similar to Blitz's pull. Which is silly since I had to actually specifically unlearn that trait (all attacks come from center of character) for blitz.

LoLKiru

10-11-2013

Quote:
TL Pride:
Q: increase the base range slightly, charge .3 seconds faster, reduce ap ratio by X amount
W: fine as is
E: Passthrough minions, stun length the same, range of E same/a little longer, lower base damage to 180 or 175(at max lv). Clearer visualization of being stunned by E
R: More threatening looking visuals, Increase delay between cast and impact time. Add delay between each cast.

I think this is what most people are thinking no?
*note: I didnt include changing the animations as I think that's something they're still working on

I actually think the damage on Q is okay, its base was lowered by 5 damage on each level, but its AP ratio went from like .60 to .85, and people STILL say for some reason they can't one shot the caster minions

As for his R, It should still be good enough so Xerath can reliably hit people, but give the enemy enough notice that they're in danger of being fired on, maybe show a blue glow on the impact site before the blast lands, and when you're being seen by the whole "Arcane Sight" aspect (kinda like how when TF views someone with "Destiny" an eye appears above them, why not have a floating Xerath head appear above them so you know he's able to see you with his ult)

Avias

10-11-2013

Overall I am pretty happy about Xeraths new power level.
I have a couple concerns about his new stun being harder to land and the minimum range on Arcanopulse being a bit too short. The charge up time is a dead giveaway about his next move.
But overall thumbs up.

The particles on his auto attacks and abilities however I am pretty disappointed in. His spells seem to dark. They should be a brighter shade of blue like he is himself. Instead I am seeing a lot of midnight blues and blacks.
His stun is rather lack luster in terms of seeing it coming. It's just a ball that shoots forward.
And his Ult? I am happy with what it does but it's just these tiny looking bolts that for some reason hit like trucks. Xeraths old ultimate looked AWESOME. It was a bout of energy that grew and exploded in your face and it made me and my enemies FEEL like it was going to hurt. We could do better with the new ultimate in terms if visual appeal.

tl;dr
Power level =
Visuals on Autos and Q,W,E need to be brightened up.
Visual on R needs to be intensified. Make it LOOK likes its going to deal the damage it's going to deal. (May also help with the problem you mentioned about it being difficult to dodge)

Bitsplosion

VFX Artist

10-11-2013

Hoy! Glad to see the overall good vibes in here. Thanks, everyone, for the feedback!

In particular, I wanted to give you all a heads-up about the R VFX -- the feeling that it's visually a bit weak at the moment is correct. The function of the spell is still being iterated upon, and the current VFX was designed for a version that spewed weaker mana bolts all over much more rapidly -- it got busy fast, so the projectiles and explosions were made tame. Don't worry -- if we decide to stick with the smaller number of shots, the VFX will be amped up accordingly!