Question about ranking system and placement

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SwagxQueen

10-10-2013

Well I finally got ranked and I won 6 out of my 10 games and was placed at silver tier 3 I have a few questions about this system before I go seaching around youtube and looking for some more indept info.

First of all is that pretty decent? Whats the odds of me playing one game and losing and moving down to tier 4 or 5? If I lose a few will I jump straight down to bronze?

Does it take a lot of games to rank up to tier 3? Does LoL rank you soley on win/loss or does it matter how well you did durning your games?

thanks

Whinja

10-10-2013

How fast you rank up depends on the amount of games you win. For every game you win, you get LP. Once you reach 100 LP in your tier, you are given a chance to move up a tier by winning 2 out of your next 3 games. If you lose however, you will lose LP. Your personal score decides who you play with and your hidden rank, called MMR. If you have a lower MMR than the people you beat, you gain more LP, and you lose less if you lose to people with higher MMR.

Hope this helps

SwagxQueen

10-10-2013

I just made an edit and im wondering about something, I read the FAQs and it says if you rank up to a division you can't drop from that division but what about me I was placed in silver, can i drop to bronze at this point or am I locked in silver or do you only get locked in if you win a placement series to get promoted?

thanks

JWP

10-10-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwagxQueen View Post
I just made an edit and im wondering about something, I read the FAQs and it says if you rank up to a division you can't drop from that division but what about me I was placed in silver, can i drop to bronze at this point or am I locked in silver or do you only get locked in if you win a placement series to get promoted?

thanks
You can drop down divisions, but you cannot drop down leagues. For example, if you got placed in silver I and then lost your next 100 ranked games in a row, you would drop to silver II, III, IV, and V, but you would not ever drop from silver V to bronze I.

Panzerfaust

Emissary of the League

10-10-2013

You should note that while you are still listed as 'silver V,' your MMR and skill level can still drop down below into the bronze range. This means if you do really poorly for a long while (dozens or hundreds of games), you will have to work your way back up through the bronze MMR games until you're caught back up. (It's a bit more complex than that, but it basically means you can't intentionally lose games for a while and then win a few in a row to raise your division/league.)

TehomCD

10-10-2013

To expand on what Panzerfaust said, what happens to people who are Silver V but with an MMR far below the cutoff to that is something called 'clamping'. Basically until they win enough games for their MMR to be equivalent to Silver V, they'll receive very low League Points/LP for wins, and lose a ton for losses, even going so far as getting 0 LP for a win if their MMR is very low.

Getting Silver 3 is really decent for a new player. You should view Silver V as being an average ranked player, and anything above that is pretty good. You shouldn't feel bad if you get demoted down to Silver V, since it's pretty normal for players who are new to ranked to be placed in bronze.

D1ncht

10-10-2013

Tl;dr you can jump from silver3 to silver1 if you're doing really good btw