Anivia as a drifter

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Canis Latrans

09-10-2011

-----UPDATED: 12:46 AM - Better grammar and syntax; added Anivia setup at the end of the write-up-----

I don't know if anyone has done this before ("monkey-Shakespeare theorem" sort of deal I suppose), but it was a very interesting match I had recently.

THE MATCH

The match started off as a completely blind pick. no team mates, nada.

I had boldly claimed, "mid" but one team mate decided to ignore this completely and lo and behold, soon I had Galio stealing my last hits and preventing me from farming. Malphite was opposing us in the middle lane.

Ashe was on the bottom going against both Tryndamere and Twisted Fate. at the top was our Soraka and Teemo going against Ryze and I cant remember who else.

After b****ing a bit, I decided that since Galio wasnt budging, and it was too late to switch lanes, I would try something new. I would get as many last-hits as possible on the current minion wave, and when that wave of minions was finished I would drop down to the bottom lane to harass Tryndamere and Twisted Fate. Then I would last-hit the remaining minions that Ashe didn't get yet to make up for the travel time. Once through with that wave, I would casually go back to the middle lane and harass Malphite before taking out another minion wave with Galio. This cycle worked pretty well and all three of us leveled equally, but faster than the duo-laning players. Before I knew it I was already 6-0-0. At 7-0-1 I finally died; I wasn't quick enough and couldn't wall my opponent in turret range before turning into an egg. I redeemed myself with a 13 kill streak, though.

This setup was not without flaw, however, and the enemy team soon started to drop their guys at the top to gank the middle. This definitely put some pressure on us. However, we countered this with big pushes at the top to force them back to the top. Before long we had taken their top inner turret, with their middle and bottom outer turrets gone also. The winning push was taken place when we all pushed the middle lane and Aced the team. We retreated a bit to wait for the super-minions and then ended it with a final heave at the nexus.

One complication in this game was that the top mistakenly fed Ryze and he became powerful very early. He was able to push us back, but once his teammates would make a step too far, I would wall them away from the rest and we would break the push one by one. We won with fairly close kills due to the top feeding. I had finished 20-1-2. The match took ~45 minutes.

DRIFTING STEPS

1. Last hit as many minions as you can in the 1v1 lane.
2. When the wave of minions is finished, move to the 1v2 lane and harass the enemy champions when exiting the jungle.
- - If a kill is possible, go for it. Same goes for turrets
3. Last-hit as many minions as you can.
4. When the wave of minions is done, move back to the 1v1 lane, and harass the enemy champion while exiting the jungle.
- - Again, go for a kill if the opportunity is there.
5. Lather, rinse, and repeat 1-4

St0OPIDITY ANALYSIS

After reflecting, I found that the drifting between the lanes provided three major advantages:

• 1. Constant minion pressure on either lane
  • 2. A seemingly erratic appearance of the "drifter" caused the enemy to become confused and they were easy to single out and destroy
  • 3. 3 players level equally well at about 1.2 times the normal leveling rate (as opposed to 1v1 champions in the middle lane leveling at a rate of ~1.5 times normal)

The disadvantages:
  • 1. Requires incredible precision (I got lucky because as Anivia, I have a 2nd chance when rebirth kicks in if I made a small mistake)
  • 2. If the enemy team becomes wise, ganks in the middle lane become very consistent (however, good communication between your team could better prepare for this)
  • 3. The bottom (or top depending on your setup) lane is more vulnerable and requires constant attention to ensure things are OK with you 1v2 player.

CONCLUSION

I'm going to be trying this more with my friends (who totally AREN'T imaginary o_O) to see how communication and better coordination changes this strategy. One thing I forgot to mention, is that if you drift between lanes, you are able to scout any sneakers that are trying to pull a fast one on you. I myself ran into Tryndamere on more than one occasion right before he was going to trap Ashe between him and Twisted Fate, which would have definitely spelled trouble for Ashe. I don't count this as an advantage because the situation is caused by the 1v2 setup in the first place.

Let me know any comments or questions you have. And this win could totally be due to a fluke, or inexperienced players so I won't argue that. However, it was very fun and made the gameplay less "bleh" and kept me on my toes more. I could see Viegar as another candidate for this because of his power.

ADDENDUM: ANIVIA SETUP

Spells:

Ghost & Flash

Items (at the end of the game):

Rod of Ages
Sorceror's Boots
Rabadon's Deathcap
Frozen Heart
Void Staff
Mejai's' Soulstealer

PS: Does anyone know any good software to record games? I would like to review my games by re-watching them.

Horseboy

09-10-2011

LolRecorder

Canis Latrans

09-10-2011

Ah! Thanks man! can't wait to install it

Wolf Un1t

09-10-2011

Um. Anivia, Soraka, teemo, malphite, Galio, and ashe. Was this a 6 vs 6?

Canis Latrans

09-10-2011

malphite was other team's mid I will clarify... Apparently my Technical writing class hasn't paid off lol.

edit: also for some reason I wrote malpheus lol. nice catch

Wolf Un1t

09-10-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canis Latrans View Post
malphite was other team's mid I will clarify... Apparently my Technical writing class hasn't paid off lol.

edit: also for some reason I wrote malpheus lol. nice catch
Ah sorry I was confused because you ssaid that all three of you weree leveling equally except faster than malphite so I thought that that weird malph that took mid over you wasn't the one leveling fast enough.

Lol sorry for the confusion. And and congrats on your great game!

Canis Latrans

09-10-2011

thanks man! I just meant it in the way that normally the mid player levels really fast, but because he was constantly harassed, he didn't get that opportunity, while we on the other hand were leveling at a slightly faster rate than if we were duo laning. Hope that makes a little more sense.