Lucian tips!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Franco Sanchez

10-07-2013

I've found that I actually do quite well with Lucian. My biggest issue playing him is running him oom or ulting effectively. I'm looking for little known gameplay tips, builds, etc.

Right now I've been having success with the following build....

D-Blade -> Boots -> BT -> IE -> TF. Then, depending on situation I'll build a BC, LW, PD, SS, WM, or GA.

For skill order I tend to go R>Q>E>W. I run pretty standard masteries, Flat AD Marks, Armor Seals, M-Res/lvl glyphs, and Flat AD Quints.

In lane, I harass where I can with my Q and an AA. If we are skirmishing I'll typically E - AA - Q -AA.For an all in I typically Q - AA - W - AA - E - AA - Q - AA - ult(given that they aren't dead and I have enough mana).

Anyways, I look forward to hearing your guys' responses...

Cathulion

10-07-2013

Don't expect to get far with him. He's a fail excuse of an wanna-be-ADC. People in higher elos will dodge your ulti and know how to take you down....Lucians too easy to kite.

Franco Sanchez

10-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathulion View Post
Don't expect to get far with him. He's a fail excuse of an wanna-be-ADC. People in higher elos will dodge your ulti and know how to take you down....Lucians too easy to kite.
I rarely use my ulti in team fights. I'll either use it to pick off someone low on the fringe of the fight, as I retreat from melee bruisers, if I'm low and got some distance between me and the opponent, or as the opposing team tries to retreat.

Edit: It's also the reason why I grab Furor/Phage. To let me more easily kite and chase. W is also helpful for it.

Szunray

10-07-2013

Y'know for a few games I've experimented with rushing an early manamune. I mean, you'll have less AD, but you'll have so much spare mana you can usually force the enemy out of lane. Not to mention manamune + sheen gives a nice chunk of AD, and lategame the toggle on muramana goes really well with lightslinger and Piercing light.

Other than that, I do pretty much what you do now. Before I used to run a full penetration build (Arpen runes/masteries, Ghostblade, Black cleaver, Lucidity boots and Last whisper).

I mean, it worked. Everything in that build is cheap, and it maxes out your cooldowns. I eventually stopped, because your damage will fall behind your lane opponent (you buy a brutalizer about when he buys a BF sword, Ghostblade is cheap but doesn't give much damage), and your ability to spam spells with 39% cdr greatly outstrips the mana you have to do it with (earlygame).

But lategame, having full cooldown and max armor pen is pretty sweet, taking full advantage of your base damages. Cleaver and ghostblade also have good synergy with your ult.

Anyway, I'm just glad to see another Lucian player.

Zephyre

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-07-2013

Consider a Black Cleaver so you can mow the front line down with your ult before engaging.

Dai Zhen

10-07-2013

Build mob boots and 5 PDs... he's black so you need to play to his strengths and make him run really fast

Franco Sanchez

10-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szunray View Post
Y'know for a few games I've experimented with rushing an early manamune. I mean, you'll have less AD, but you'll have so much spare mana you can usually force the enemy out of lane. Not to mention manamune + sheen gives a nice chunk of AD, and lategame the toggle on muramana goes really well with lightslinger and Piercing light.

Other than that, I do pretty much what you do now. Before I used to run a full penetration build (Arpen runes/masteries, Ghostblade, Black cleaver, Lucidity boots and Last whisper).

I mean, it worked. Everything in that build is cheap, and it maxes out your cooldowns. I eventually stopped, because your damage will fall behind your lane opponent (you buy a brutalizer about when he buys a BF sword, Ghostblade is cheap but doesn't give much damage), and your ability to spam spells with 39% cdr greatly outstrips the mana you have to do it with (earlygame).

Anyway, I'm just glad to see another Lucian player.
I consistently can out trade most bot lanes. I'm kinda giving him the Graves approach... Graves relies heavily on his AA's. He also has some pretty bad mana costs early. So I'm building for sustain in lane so I can farm up, and for beefy auto attacks. Though the TF is not common in the Graves build.

Most Graves' guides I've seen call for BT - PD/IE - IE/PD. I just swap the PD for a TF.

Franco Sanchez

10-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zephyre View Post
Consider a Black Cleaver so you can mow the front line down with your ult before engaging.
That's pretty much the only time that I buy it. That, or if they are stacking a lot armor. You can hit max stacks REALLY easily between a quick W - AA - Q combo anyways.

Reckoning

10-07-2013

Ever since the recent Lucian changes, I've found running out of mana at early levels to be less of an issue. My build order for him is a little bit different from yours. My full build for Lucian is as follows: zerk boots, bloodthirster, trinity force, last whisperer, infinity edge, and finally phantom dancer. Of course, most games usually end before I get full build. I consider phantom dancer also to be optional, and may substitute it for a defensive item. In those rare moments where you find yourself fighting the enemy ADC one-on-one lategame, I have yet to lose to any with that Lucian build.

As for tips on how to play him, I can't really offer any. The biggest issue I see with people who criticize him are those who don't know how or when to use his ult. Looks to me like you do. Also, might I suggest maxing W before E? I used to max E first as well but I find maxing W before E provides you with more damage and easier farming if you are being zoned in lane.

Franco Sanchez

10-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corsavius View Post
Ever since the recent Lucian changes, I've found running out of mana at early levels to be less of an issue. My build order for him is a little bit different from yours. My full build for Lucian is as follows: zerk boots, bloodthirster, trinity force, last whisperer, infinity edge, and finally phantom dancer. Of course, most games usually end before I get full build. I consider phantom dancer also to be optional, and may substitute it for a defensive item. In those rare moments where you find yourself fighting the enemy ADC one-on-one lategame, I have yet to lose to any with that Lucian build.

As for tips on how to play him, I can't really offer any. The biggest issue I see with people who criticize him are those who don't know how or when to use his ult. Looks to me like you do. Also, might I suggest maxing W before E? I used to max E first as well but I find maxing W before E provides you with more damage and easier farming if you are being zoned in lane.
I think the skill order is definitely situational. I'll max W first if I'm constantly being shoved back under turret. Otherwise, I like having E on the shorter CD and costing 0 mana. I believe it's 18 seconds at level 1? Then 10 seconds at 5. I actually maxed his W when I first started for the burst... Then I noticed the 15 mana cost/2 second CD reduction each level.