[Guide]Alistar, The Ultimate in Lane Control, Gank, and Push.

12345 ... 10
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Bait

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-22-2009

Leaguecraft link:
http://leaguecraft.com/strategies/gu...%20Stun%20Tank

Checklist:
http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...ad.php?t=47357

Table of Contents
Introduction 1
Items 2
Item Order 3
Item Discussion 4
Skilling Order 5
Skill Discussion 6
Summoner Abilities 7
Masteries 8
Runes 9
Pros/Cons 10
Strategies 11
Combinations 12
Special Role in Team 13
Alistar, The Minotaur
The mightiest warrior ever to emerge from the minotaur tribes of the Great Barrier, Alistar defended his tribe from all of Valoran's many dangers; that is, until the coming of the Noxian army. Alistar was lured from his village by the machinations of Keiran Darkwill, Baron Darkwill's youngest son, and commander of the Noxian expeditionary force. When Alistar returned home, he found his village burning and his family slain. Bellowing with rage, he charged an entire regiment of Noxus' elite, slaughtering them by the hundreds. Only the intervention of some of Noxus' most skilled summoners checked Alistar's rage. Brought in chains to Noxus, Alistar spent the intervening years as a gladiator pitted in endless battle for the entertainment of Noxus' wealthy leaders. Alistar's once noble soul slowly twisted, and he would have been lost to insanity if not for Ayelia, a young servant girl who befriended him and eventually arranged for his escape. Suddenly free, Alistar joined the newly-formed Institute of War as a champion, hoping to one day visit his final vengeance against Noxus and to find the girl who once again gave him hope.

Alistar has no fear, hurling his massive frame into the heat of any arena battle. The mere stomp of his hooves causes the earth to heave, flinging his stunned enemies wildly into the air. Alistar can also charge headlong at his foes, sending them soaring away helplessly. Fed by the fires of battle, Alistar's roar alone bolsters the fortitude of both himself and his allies. Wounds that would instantly fell a lesser being barely break his stride. Alistar is much like the fury that drives him, relentless and unstoppable.

1. Introduction
Alistar is the quintessential tank. He has incredible defense, area of effect stun, headbutt, area of effect heals, and horns.
There are many strategies that use Alistar as the corner stone. Two of such strategies are the pushing strategy and the farming strategy. Whoever lanes with Alistar farms well. Alistar is a terrible farmer.

2. Items
Items:
Trinity Force
Mercury Treads
Aegis of the Legion
Stark's Fervor

3. Item Order
Sapphire Crystal + 2 Health Potions
Boots of Speed
Sheen
Aegis of the Legion
Sight Ward x2
Mercury Treads
Stark's Fervor /*note 1
Phage
Zeal
Trinity Force

4. Item Discussion
The items reflect that Alistar doesn't need a lot of defensive items to make a great tank.
Making sure you can cast Unbreakable Will helps a lot more than having good defensive items.

note 1.
Stark's Fervor is a conditional item. If an ally is already making Stark's Fervor, then don't make it. If your team doesn't have that much physical champions, then don't make Stark's Fervor.

5. Skilling Order
1. Pulverize
2. Headbutt or Triumphant Roar //Pick whichever you need first. I don't spend this skill point until
3. Headbutt or Triumphant Roar //I use the skill. Use Alt + W or Alt + E for quick selection.
4. Pulverize
5. Triumphant Roar
6. Unbreakable Will
7. Pulverize
8. Pulverize
9. Pulverize
10. Triumphant Roar
11. Unbreakable Will
12. Triumphant Roar
13. Triumphant Roar
14. Headbutt
15. Headbutt
16. Unbreakable Will
17. Headbutt
18. Headbutt

6. Skill Discussion
Alistar's Skills are very flexible.
If the enemy isn't doing much damage, you don't need to level Triumphant Roar. Think of Triumphant Roar as HP regen rather than instant health. The heal/mana ratio doesn't go up as you level up Triumphant Roar so keep it as low as you can while keeping you and your ally's health bars full.

The choice between Headbutt and Pulverize doesn't really matter. The Damage/Level and Damage/Mana is about the same. Headbutt deals a bit more damage but Pulverize is an area of effect. You cast both of them about the same number of times. I prioritized Pulverize just because it's AOE and better for farming.

7. Summoner Abilities
Summoner Abilities
Flash is used for Alistar's combos.
It's used in Flash + Pulverize + Headbutt
or Flash + Headbutt + Pulverize
Using these combos near your tower is absolutely deadly. Even if you are not at a tower, using it on an enemy with low health may be fatal.
As a rule of thumb, Alistar probably won't be at his own tower but it does happen.
It is also very difficult to initiate battles without Flash. Without flash, it is difficult to position yourself for a good pulverize.

The second spell is Clarity. The MP given by it is very strong.

Aumz uses Clarity + Ghost. It's a good combo if you're going for endurance battles.

My current favorite summoner spells:
GnomeChomsky recommended Flash + Exhaust. This is one of my favorites since it's great for early ganking. The exhaust is useful for disabling Twitch or other physical carries in a battle.

8. Masteries
CD reduction should be the priority.

Offense:
-Archmage's Saavy [3/3]
-Deadliness [1/1]
-Sorcery [4/4]
-Archaic Knowlege [1/1]

Utility:
-Preserverence [3/3]
-Good Hands [1/3]
-Awareness [4/4]
-Greed [1/1]
-Meditation [3/3]
-Insight [1/1]
-Quickness [3/3]
-Blink of an Eye [1/1]
-Intelligence [3/3]
-Presence of the Master [1/1]

9. Runes
Marks: Magic Penetration
Seals: Most of them Dodge, Two HP per Level
Glyphs: Most of them Cool-down Reduction, Two Magic Resist per Level
Quintessence: HP

10. Pros/Cons
Pros:
High Health
Great Stuns
Great Initiator
Great Tank
Great Healer
Great Lane control
Great Interruptor (interrupting Nunu or Katarina's Ults)
Amazing Pusher

Cons:
Horrible Farmer
Horrible Jungler
No skills that improve movement
Low Damage
Poor Carry

11. Strategies
There are many strategies that favor Alistar.
Disclaimer: I solo queue only so I never actually use these strategies.

Pushing Strategy
I would suggest using:
Alistar, Twitch, Soraka, Anivia, Sivir
Summoner spells are important. Make sure you grab several Rally and Heal.
When you get to a tower simply attack it. If there are many people attacking you, use Flash + Pulverize + Headbutt + Unbreakable Will then attack the tower. In the meantime, your allies will finish the tower and gank right afterwards.

Laning Strategy
Starting out with a Mana Manipulator puts you at an advantage over just about everybody else.
If you are laning with a caster, this strategy is even more effective if your ally carries a Mana Manipulator as well. The auras will stack twice.

5-man Ganking
Alistar is great at initiating these fights. He uses Flash, Pulverize, then Headbutt the enemy carry to your team. Then he casts Unbreakable Will to survive it all.

12. Combinations
Laning Tactics/Combinations
Some combinations are scarier than most.
Alistar's combinations will make grown men cry.
Disclaimer: I solo queue only so I never actually use these combinations.

Death Trap I
1. Shaco Places 3 or more traps in the bushes.
2. Alistar uses Flash, Pulverize, then Headbutt the target into the traps.
3. Alistar casts Clairvoyance in the bushes.
4. Shaco uses Deceive and attacks the target.
5. Target dies.

Death Trap II
1. Heimerdinger places many H-28G Evolution Turret in the bushes.
2. Alistar casts Flash, Pulverize, then Headbutt the target into the turrets.
3. Alistar casts Clairvoyance in the bushes.
4. Heimerdinger casts CH-1 Concussion Grenade on the target.
5. Target dies.

Enhanced grab and doom
1. Blitzcrank casts Rocket Grab on the target.
2. Blitzcrank casts Power Fist on the target.
3. Alistar casts Headbutt, pushing the target into an allied tower.
4. Alistar approaches the target then casts Pulverize before the target leaves the tower's range.
5. Target dies.

Unholy Mana
1. Alistar gets Mana Manipulator.
2. Ally gets Mana Manipulator.
3. Alistar + Ally dominates lane.

13. Special Role in Team
Alistar is probably one of the best counters to Nunu and Katarina's Ults. If Nunu or Katarina is in the enemy team, save your Headbutt and wait for either one of them to use their ultimates. It's not necessary to knock an enemy carry to your team in most cases.

nicosharp

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-22-2009

Nice guide Bait! I like your build, and heavy support/push theme. I've heard people mention that late-game Innervating Lockets are not that great, because the passive effect does not scale. Do you agree, and is there ever a time where you build this sooner?

(I personally can not comment, cause games I go Innervating Locket I rush it, and they typically end before 25mins as we steamroll with a push strat.)

Bait

12-22-2009

innervating locket isn't that great no matter when you get it.

it's good for a pushing strat, the extra hp and mp helps your team keep going.

it's also useful for pushing after a gank. it gives your team extra hp and mp to fend off an attack after the gank.

for hardcore battles, it's pretty useless. that's why i gave it a low priority anyway.

GnomeChomsky

12-22-2009

Nice guide Bait. I tend to use Ghost to setup ganks and prefer it over Flash, but I probably haven't played enough games with Flash (post-nerf that is). I'll have to give it another try.

What do you think of Sheen on Alistar? In my experience it's the only item I always always get because it has such great synergy with his naturally high base attack damage (which might be the highest in the game). It makes him a lot more dangerous early and mid game. It's also great for pushing towers. Even in unfavorable situations where you can't wail on the tower you can often sneak in for one sheen charged punch.

Sheen also makes harassment with Headbutt much stronger. You can headbutt someone and then if you time it correctly hit them once with a sheen powered punch as they fly away.

Bait

12-22-2009

you say post nerf, i say post buff.

flash was made worse for just about everybody but alistar.

the new flash is perfect for setting up ganks for alistar and has a lower cd. the lower range also makes it easier to control and makes ganking consistent for alistar.

sheen is about the only way for alistar to farm but i don't use it. it's a great item but i think aegis/glacial shroud is just much more useful to alistar than sheen.

if you do like sheen, i recommend you get it after aegis and glacial shroud. complete frozen heart before trinity force though.
in a gank, sheen is not that strong. alistar has low physical attack and he's not good at chasing.

id say sheen adds more dps overall but it's slight compared to glacial shroud. sheen's ability to farm helps alistar a lot, but i still think shroud is better.

Lightwrks

12-23-2009

What kind of mastery build do you prefer with Alistar, Bait?

Bait

12-23-2009

i updated it and put it up as item 8.

it was already in the leaguecraft link.

if you are not level 30, just customize your mastery depending on the summoner skills you use.

Bait

12-24-2009

added a laning/tactics section. enjoy.

Bait

01-01-2010

i'm convinced now that the best spells on alistar are ghost + flash.

p.s. i still need mojo for my posts. nobody ever comments on my posts ; ;.

Hevi

01-02-2010

Very good and well written guide, I am mostly a Mundo player and haven't really tried Alistar.

I rarely see any good Alistar players (at least on my lvl) but this one guy woke my interest for Alistar, so I decided to go for Alistar as my next champ and I will use your guide to, hopefully, max out his and my own skills.

I always love to read a well written guide, keep up the good work!

P.S. I would like to ask if you change your build, if you see the enemy got heavy physical champs or heavy magic (AP) champs?

12345 ... 10