@Ironstylus - If Pantheon gets a VU, will he get a face?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

IronStylus

Sr. Concept Artist

10-06-2013
1 of 14 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tybault Windsor View Post
This is a very difficult issue for me.

Pantheon is awesome because he's a faceless, dedicated spartan.

Pantheon is lame because he's a faceless, dedicated spartan.

Pantheon is held back by the fact that he's a shallow reference and has no character.

Pantheon is an AWESOME character.

Pantheon can be hugely expanded as a character if he's given a face and isn't just a shallow joke character.

I absolutely adore Pantheon and I'd hate if he wasn't the same anymore.

Is it okay that he stays just a 1-dimensional character?

How can you give him character without removing everything we love about him?

Roit: What do!?
Good questions.

Personally I'd like to make Pantheon not just a "faceless Spartan", but that doesn't mean necessarily giving him a face. I mean, I think he's iconic because ya know, the image of a Spartan-like warrior has that shape language.

Logistically, maybe if we did a VU on him we'd put a face under there, actually add some geometry so that it's not just a hollow helmet, but I don't think we'd bust open the helmet to reveal a head.

Even if we don't make it particularly visible on the model, I'd like to give him a bit more depth, figure out to wrap him up in what stuff has gone down on Mt Targon with Protecty Sun Lady and Grumpy Moon Chick.

Mjaxon

10-06-2013

Hooray for Ironstylus. I do agree, Pantheon would be a fantastic counterweight to the Diana/Leona religious conflict. Others have their heads in the sky worrying about celestial bodies, Pantheon is more concerned with what's going down on the ground.
P.S.
When Pantheon does get his VU, can Riot fix his skills so that his aegis scales off AD?

IronStylus

Sr. Concept Artist

10-06-2013
2 of 14 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjaxon View Post
Pantheon is more concerned with what's going down on the ground.
^ This.

I like this idea.

battlehummy

10-06-2013

What do we have skins for, look at Kassadin, he also got a pre-void skin, that shows his face.

IronStylus

Sr. Concept Artist

10-06-2013
3 of 14 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by battlehummy View Post
What do we have skins for, look at Kassadin, he also got a pre-void skin, that shows his face.
Hmm.. I actually don't know if I'd do a Pantheon skin sans helmet. I think the helmet is a big part of him, but heck, who knows? Maybe a good idea will crop up that warrants him unmasking.

Wintermallz

10-06-2013

Any chance of a baker skin for Pantheon?

EDIT: included comic for good reference

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pantheon x Leona 1.jpg (605.4 KB, 1295 views)

Noctes setcoN

10-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
Good questions.

Personally I'd like to make Pantheon not just a "faceless Spartan", but that doesn't mean necessarily giving him a face. I mean, I think he's iconic because ya know, the image of a Spartan-like warrior has that shape language.

Logistically, maybe if we did a VU on him we'd put a face under there, actually add some geometry so that it's not just a hollow helmet, but I don't think we'd bust open the helmet to reveal a head.

Even if we don't make it particularly visible on the model, I'd like to give him a bit more depth, figure out to wrap him up in what stuff has gone down on Mt Targon with Protecty Sun Lady and Grumpy Moon Chick.
What do you think about keeping his eyes shadowed (though with that sort of white glow present on the current model), but with his mouth and jaw exposed? It'd give him a face, while at the same time keeping his identity a mystery, much in the same way super heroes popularly where those half masks that cover only around their eyes and cheek bones.

IronStylus

Sr. Concept Artist

10-06-2013
4 of 14 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintermallz View Post
Any chance of a baker skin for Pantheon?

EDIT: included comic for good reference
I personally think the idea is adorable.

IronStylus

Sr. Concept Artist

10-06-2013
5 of 14 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noctes setcoN View Post
What do you think about keeping his eyes shadowed (though with that sort of white glow present on the current model), but with his mouth and jaw exposed? It'd give him a face, while at the same time keeping his identity a mystery, much in the same way super heroes popularly where those half masks that cover only around their eyes and cheek bones.
I think that's an excellent idea. Sort of a Judge Dredd thing. I could see that working.

Pulsative

10-06-2013

I'd like to keep Pantheon's face hidden, maybe give him normal eyes instead of glowy eyes. Or vice versa like Noctes setcoN suggests

And then Pantheon would only take off his helmet for his beloved Leona and ...

Wintermallz
posted the comic I was thinking about.