@Ironstylus - If Pantheon gets a VU, will he get a face?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

CHUNKI3

10-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabes21 View Post
Nope is something Rammus would probably say.
Does this mean Rammus get's a halloween skin?
You're an idiot, Rammus only says Ok. and occasionally grunts.

NA Rukhron

10-06-2013

Pantheon facelessness is a good representation of war.

War has casualities, faceless casualities - families deal with deaths.

So yeah, I see reasons for Pantheon's facelessness, but I still see great potential for him as a character to show a deep dychotomy between the soldier and the person.

The main problem is that the only field we interact with Pantheon is the battlefield where he should be only the soldier he was raised to be. In game Pantheon has no space for human Pantheon and should never have because he is playing his role as an ultimate war being.

This leads to: Pantheon needs different lore vehicles that aren't still in play and should not show his deeply buried "face" to the world because inside the game he is living the perfect situation where he should bury his self the most. Only when we become able to see Pantheon outside the battlefield we'll be able to see his lore expand.

immortalibra

10-06-2013

From reading the Red posts, im a little disappointed the Pantheon VU isnt already in development

Rogue Winter

10-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
Good questions.

Personally I'd like to make Pantheon not just a "faceless Spartan", but that doesn't mean necessarily giving him a face. I mean, I think he's iconic because ya know, the image of a Spartan-like warrior has that shape language.

Logistically, maybe if we did a VU on him we'd put a face under there, actually add some geometry so that it's not just a hollow helmet, but I don't think we'd bust open the helmet to reveal a head.

Even if we don't make it particularly visible on the model, I'd like to give him a bit more depth, figure out to wrap him up in what stuff has gone down on Mt Targon with Protecty Sun Lady and Grumpy Moon Chick.
http://asset-a.soup.io/asset/4084/6023_aec5.jpeg

Mayhaps? Heck, I'd like a Leona VU too. She could use a polish to fit in with current artistic standards.

SkinnerBlade

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-06-2013

Parrot, have you come back? I haven't seen you post in a while now. Will you be staying with us for a while again?

IronStylus

Sr. Concept Artist

10-06-2013
12 of 14 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by immortalibra View Post
From reading the Red posts, im a little disappointed the Pantheon VU isnt already in development
Who says one isn't? "in the works" doesn't have to mean heavily into production though, or anywhere near to a release.

Take a look at the list of Champions in the Roster. It's safe to assume that.. oh.. 50 of them are in need of some sort of finesse. Model tweaks, texture update, polish. Others, say maybe 20, might have a usable rig, but could really use a geo swap-out and a new model. A legendary skin for such a champion might even create the ability for a VU to happen faster than expected, because we often have to do heavy work on the rig, or possibly rebuild it, making it ripe for a VU. Then 10 or so, of those 50, are high priority. Champions that require a major overhaul.

That's a large pool of champions, and I'd go further than the supposed 50 to enact some level of VU on. We as a team look at pretty much everything up until early 2012 as ripe for some level of VU depending on current quality from stylistic, craft and thematic aspects.

Again, things can change. We do have those "Relaunches of opportunity" that arise. Sejuani-type situations.

Fun thing is, I'm not the exclusive concept artist for Relaunch. I physically work on the characters I'm best suited to work on, or most interested in, and for those that are beyond my scope, or aren't really served best by my strengths, I cultivate work done by other artists who are passionate about the champion that needs concept art resources dedicated to it. We work very openly like that as a team. It's not a single artists' responsibility or duty. It's the entire art team coming together to decide what's best, put input into the pot, and submit whatever art they have time to. It's resulted in some awesome results. We find that our designs end up looking more stylistically consistent when there's a lot of influence from around the different members of the art department.

That said, there's a lot of concepts sitting around just waiting for the team to crunch through the priority list. So, it's possible anyone's favorite champ is in that concept backlog waiting for the right time for production to start!

SlVIR

10-06-2013

Hi stylus

SkinnerBlade

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-06-2013

Quote:
Who says one isn't? "in the works" doesn't have to mean heavily into production though, or anywhere near to a release.

Take a look at the list of Champions in the Roster. It's safe to assume that.. oh.. 50 of them are in need of some sort of finesse. Model tweaks, texture update, polish. Others, say maybe 20, might have a usable rig, but could really use a geo swap-out and a new model. A legendary skin for such a champion might even create the ability for a VU to happen faster than expected, because we often have to do heavy work on the rig, or possibly rebuild it, making it ripe for a VU. Then 10 or so, of those 50, are high priority. Champions that require a major overhaul.

That's a large pool of champions, and I'd go further than the supposed 50 to enact some level of VU on. We as a team look at pretty much everything up until early 2012 as ripe for some level of VU depending on current quality from stylistic, craft and thematic aspects.

Again, things can change. We do have those "Relaunches of opportunity" that arise. Sejuani-type situations.

Fun thing is, I'm not the exclusive concept artist for Relaunch. I physically work on the characters I'm best suited to work on, or most interested in, and for those that are beyond my scope, or aren't really served best by my strengths, I cultivate work done by other artists who are passionate about the champion that needs concept art resources dedicated to it. We work very openly like that as a team. It's not a single artists' responsibility or duty. It's the entire art team coming together to decide what's best, put input into the pot, and submit whatever art they have time to. It's resulted in some awesome results. We find that our designs end up looking more stylistically consistent when there's a lot of influence from around the different members of the art department.

That said, there's a lot of concepts sitting around just waiting for the team to crunch through the priority list. So, it's possible anyone's favorite champ is in that concept backlog waiting for the right time for production to start!
So is there, or is there not a Pantheon VU on the way?

IronStylus

Sr. Concept Artist

10-06-2013
13 of 14 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnerBlade View Post
So is there, or is there not a Pantheon VU on the way?
"On the way" is a very subjective term. Nothing planned or scheduled, but some artists have gone out of their way to make some awesome concepts for if and/or when a Pantheon VU happens.

SkinnerBlade

10-06-2013

Quote:
"On the way" is a very subjective term. Nothing planned or scheduled, but some artists have gone out of their way to make some awesome concepts for if and/or when a Pantheon VU happens.
Give us pics, Parrot.

ಠuಠ