Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Riot should adopt a DOTA-like drafting style

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

bLues

10-05-2013

Quote:
Devi Freak Mint:
Adding bans will not change anything. No matter how well balanced the game is, there will always be champions that fit the competitive meta better. Eight bans is effectively banning ~20% of the competitive pool at any given time. And adding gimmicks doesn't add to the experience a whole lot. Respect bans vs counterbanning. How does it not simply move the "problem"?

So what is the "problem" because I never stated there was one.

I simply want a more dynamic pick/ban phase- which will cause competitive play to be more dynamic.

RisottoNero

10-05-2013

The drafting is better. You can ban more things but since it's a split ban you can't ban all the best picks of the other side and more broken things get through forcing teams to play with that in mind instead of banning it.

You just have 4 bans to take thing you don't like out of the game before you and the other team start having to pick. Then the other bans are more about what was picked.

Venova

10-05-2013

If Riot changed Ranked solo queue to Captains Mode, arguments over stuff in hero select would kindof end right? If the captain picks everyone's champions from their poos, and can moderate and make the call when people want the same role - thats kindof an orator to keep things smooth.

bLues

10-05-2013

Quote:
Venova:
If Riot changed Ranked solo queue to Captains Mode, arguments over stuff in hero select would kindof end right? If the captain picks everyone's champions from their poos, and can moderate and make the call when people want the same role - thats kindof an orator to keep things smooth.

I was thinking in solo queue you could just straight up add the two bans on top of the 6 we have.
But have this for 5v5 and competitive play maybe.

Comonad

10-05-2013

Quote:
Well Hungarian:
I agree there should be more bans, or something in place to open up the game a little more.

I was thinking about it after watching SKT destroy Royal last night and I thought how much more exciting the pro games would be if a team could only select a champion once in a best of series.

You could leave the bans at 3 per team, but a team would no longer be able to pick Jax all three games. Instead, a team would have to decide when to play that Jax for most impact. If SKT had picked Jax in game one he would be unavailable in games 2 and 3.

Maybe its a bad idea, but it seems like a good way to get pros playing more champs in best of series and bringing a bit of excitement into games you don't currently see. Imagine if you have a series that goes to 5 games using this format...you would see people having to go very deep into their champion pools to pull something out.

I think this would also prevent teams going 3-0 in a series like lastnight. If a team blows all their top tier picks in game one, it would allow the other team a chance to pick up a game or two and maybe turn things around. Obviously, as viewers we would get to see champions not normally seen in pro games as well.

Anyways, just a quick thought.

No.

If Team A picks champion X in game one, and X is the direct counter to Y, then when someone picks Y the 2nd game, they can't counter it.

Just no.

If they don't want jax all 3 games, they can ban him.

t3hcollective

10-05-2013

While this would be interesting, I would be ok with them just increasing the number of bans. Make it so 10% of the champs are banned out at any given time, rounded up to ensure even bans for each team (100 champs = 10 bans, 110 champs = 12 bans, etc...). This would eliminate "s" tier champs from play completely until they are brought back into balance.

The fact is, there will ALWAYS be those top tier champs and pros will use only them when they can. Just get rid of them and force people to innovate or lose.

Jassu

10-05-2013

Quote:
GranspearZX:
That would certainly make the pick/ban phase a lot more interesting...

Because it puts more emphasis on the champion selection phase, which, by consequence, reduces the emphasis on every other aspect of the game. I disagree with making the champion selection phase more important, as it's inherently the least interesting to play and watch. The more the picks and bans matter, the less the gameplay matters, and I'd rather the gameplay matter most because that's where all of the action and strategy unfold.

Weazyritzstrket

10-05-2013

bump

Vualk

Recruiter

10-05-2013

i like this idea alot actually..

The Sound

10-05-2013

Quote:
Jassu:
Because it puts more emphasis on the champion selection phase, which, by consequence, reduces the emphasis on every other aspect of the game. I disagree with making the champion selection phase more important, as it's inherently the least interesting to play and watch. The more the picks and bans matter, the less the gameplay matters, and I'd rather the gameplay matter most because that's where all of the action and strategy unfold.

I disagree that gameplay and champ select are inversely related to one another. There is tons of gameplay to be had with all champions, not only the top tier ones.

The LoL pro scene is complacent and comfortable right now, that's the matter. They keep using the same top tier champions because they don't have to innovate or adapt. They should be forced to, and this DOTA-like system is definitely a good place to start.