Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Riot should adopt a DOTA-like drafting style

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

bLues

10-05-2013

Quote:
fieryfate:
The idea is that the reduction of initial bans from 3 to 2 will prevent teams from banning out one player entirely, while the 2+1 bans at the later stage will allow more champions to be picked while also adding a more sophisticated strategic element.

The classic example seen in Dota is something like this:
A: Ban a champion (eg: ADC)
B: Ban a champion (eg: Jungler)
A: Ban a champion (eg: Mid)
B: Ban a champion (eg: ADC)

A: Pick a Top
B: Pick a Jungler and Mid
A: Pick a Mid and Support
B: Pick an ADC

Here, A is missing an ADC and Jungler, while B is missing a Top and Support. B then proceeds to ban out two ADCs, while A bans out two Top.

At this point, A has to decide whether to pick the 6th best ADC (4 already banned and 1 picked) or the 2nd best Jungler. If they go for the Jungler, then B can ban out another ADC. If they go for the ADC, then B will ban a Jungler.

Meanwhile, B has the 4th best Jungler or 2nd best Support, and it seems clear that A has been slightly outpicked.

The point of this system of bans and picks is to force teams to adopt a more flexible approach to gameplay and try to be a little more creative in their champion combinations. Teams have an incentive to innovate through underused champions since these are less likely to be banned, while teams that can only play one playstyle are easily countered through smart bans in the 2nd and 3rd phases.

Updated OP with your brilliance.
Explained it much better than I ever could. I'm not too great at that.

The Sound

10-05-2013

I agree, I think this could be done at all levels of play and would make the pro scene more exciting to watch.

For me, I like seeing a variety of champions being used in the pro scene, not the same ones over and over.

thumbnail9

10-05-2013

Riot will never do it simply to not seem like Dota.

SlVIR

10-05-2013

To be honest guys.

They play those champions because it is their job to win.

They are not going to play tier 2 meta and below champions if they don't have to. It is literally not just a game for them. They are professionals.

The Sound

10-05-2013

Quote:
thumbnail9:
Riot will never do it simply to not seem like Dota.

I really hope this is not the case. Riot needs to swallow their pride and realize that in the long run, this is a better option. Better to take the berating of copying DOTA's system, get it over with, then in a few months have people begrudgingly realize that it is a better system overall and will increase the diversity of champions selected in pro games.

Quote:
Luscious Lenny:
To be honest guys.

They play those champions because it is their job to win.

They are not going to play tier 2 meta and below champions if they don't have to. It is literally not just a game for them. They are professionals.

They are professional entertainers. The reason they can make a living playing this game is because enough people have an interest in the game to watch it being played a high level, which in turn attracts sponsors, ect.

As of right now, LoL is a great game, but the competitive scene is overwhelmingly complacent IMO. Same champs picked and banned, tried tested and true strategies. Stale games because the pro players are comfortable and have no reason to change or adapt.

Force them to ffs. I hear commentators talking about the limited champion pools of many pro players. This is exactly what I'm talking about. They only need to play a handful of champions to do well. Force them to innovate and adapt, and I guarantee LoL will be much more enjoyable to watch. The ban phase would also be way more interesting.

As for the players themselves, if they don't like adapting, then they can stop playing professionally, because I GUARANTEE there are tons of excellent gamers willing to adapt and innovate that will gladly take their place.

In the words of the Machine Herald himself:

"Adapt, or be removed!"

This applies to both RIOT and the pro players. If they are complacent with the commerical success they are currently enjoying, then mark my words they will suffer for it in the long run.

HaveFunTrying

10-05-2013

Bump

Crai Crushna

Recruiter

10-05-2013

I like the dota way of this. It adds more depth to the game while still increasing bans. It seems like a win win.

Rockman

10-05-2013

I can't find it right now, but there was another idea out there.

Normal 3 bans per team, normal start.

Next game those banned and picked are not available except for one pick for each team.

Next game after that, the first games bans and picks are lifted, and the second's picks and bans are unavailable, except for one pick again.

I think that's how it went since it's been awhile since I've seen the thread.

bLues

10-05-2013

Quote:
RockMan EXE:
I can't find it right now, but there was another idea out there.

Normal 3 bans per team, normal start.

Next game those banned and picked are not available except for one pick for each team.

Next game after that, the first games bans and picks are lifted, and the second's picks and bans are unavailable, except for one pick again.

I think that's how it went since it's been awhile since I've seen the thread.

I must've missed that one.
If anyone finds it, let me know. Seems interesting.

Djiimon

10-05-2013

+1