Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Riot should adopt a DOTA-like drafting style

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Vesectomy

10-05-2013

I really don't see how more bans would help. I would want to get the opinion of the pro teams and there coaches before getting on this bandwagon.

RunfromChron

10-05-2013

stupid idea

xSay

10-05-2013

Quote:
Well Hungarian:
I agree there should be more bans, or something in place to open up the game a little more.

I was thinking about it after watching SKT destroy Royal last night and I thought how much more exciting the pro games would be if a team could only select a champion once in a best of series.

You could leave the bans at 3 per team, but a team would no longer be able to pick Jax all three games. Instead, a team would have to decide when to play that Jax for most impact. If SKT had picked Jax in game one he would be unavailable in games 2 and 3.

Maybe its a bad idea, but it seems like a good way to get pros playing more champs in best of series and bringing a bit of excitement into games you don't currently see. Imagine if you have a series that goes to 5 games using this format...you would see people having to go very deep into their champion pools to pull something out.

I think this would also prevent teams going 3-0 in a series like lastnight. If a team blows all their top tier picks in game one, it would allow the other team a chance to pick up a game or two and maybe turn things around. Obviously, as viewers we would get to see champions not normally seen in pro games as well.

Anyways, just a quick thought.

i see people downvoted you, but i think this is a great idea, and it would spice up the games so much watching other picks besides the same 20-30 champions every game

EvilTreeSpock

10-05-2013

While I think that Dota 2's pick ban phase is interesting, the games I watched of The International, the oick ban phase was really long and kinda boring to be honest. I **** watching pick/bans because it is interesting to see the decision making, but at the international they used up as much time as they could, which made it take a really long time whereas in League they make these snap quick decisions. Its fastish paced and more exciting to watch. Not only are there more bans to go through, but they have extra time to use up beyond their limit. From a spectator point of view I dont like it as much.

bLues

10-05-2013

Quote:
RunfromChron:
stupid idea

Let's be constructive. Why is it a stupid idea?

JevelFaithful

10-05-2013

I have to admit I like the dota ban style.

GLaD0S

10-05-2013

I like/

bLues

10-05-2013

Quote:
EvilTreeSpock:
While I think that Dota 2's pick ban phase is interesting, the games I watched of The International, the oick ban phase was really long and kinda boring to be honest. I **** watching pick/bans because it is interesting to see the decision making, but at the international they used up as much time as they could, which made it take a really long time whereas in League they make these snap quick decisions. Its fastish paced and more exciting to watch. Not only are there more bans to go through, but they have extra time to use up beyond their limit. From a spectator point of view I dont like it as much.

Yeah, a lot of my friends who aren't as into League as I am or just play it casually and don't care much about the competitive aspect aren't very enthusiastic about watching champ select.
I personally don't mind.

I'm not very well versed in DotA things and I didn't watch TI (regrettably), how much time do they have for each phase? Is it 60 seconds like LoL?

I only know about this from when I watched last years TI (and we had a discussion about this while watching Worlds). I didn't pay attention to the time, I was busy asking the people I was watching it with questions and other things.

CarpeDezNuts

10-05-2013

I do think Dota has a better pick and ban order. The champion pool is large enough that at least 4 bans for each team would be reasonable for League.

fieryfate

10-05-2013

The idea is that the reduction of initial bans from 3 to 2 will prevent teams from banning out one player entirely, while the 2+1 bans at the later stage will allow more champions to be picked while also adding a more sophisticated strategic element.

The classic example seen in Dota is something like this:
A: Ban a champion (eg: ADC)
B: Ban a champion (eg: Jungler)
A: Ban a champion (eg: Mid)
B: Ban a champion (eg: ADC)

A: Pick a Top
B: Pick a Jungler and Mid
A: Pick a Mid and Support
B: Pick an ADC

Here, A is missing an ADC and Jungler, while B is missing a Top and Support. B then proceeds to ban out two ADCs, while A bans out two Top.

At this point, A has to decide whether to pick the 6th best ADC (4 already banned and 1 picked) or the 2nd best Jungler. If they go for the Jungler, then B can ban out another ADC. If they go for the ADC, then B will ban a Jungler.

Meanwhile, B has the 4th best Top or 2nd best Support, and it seems clear that A has been slightly outpicked.

The point of this system of bans and picks is to force teams to adopt a more flexible approach to gameplay and try to be a little more creative in their champion combinations. Teams have an incentive to innovate through underused champions since these are less likely to be banned, while teams that can only play one playstyle are easily countered through smart bans in the 2nd and 3rd phases.

It also encourages creative use of champions, such as a team picking a jungler early, only to send him top and last picking another jungler. The other team wouldn't have banned junglers in the 2nd or 3rd phase since they thought one had already been chosen.