How Hard is Orianna to Play?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

GodKingBill

10-05-2013

Hi! I'm relatively new to the game, but I think I want to start learning a champion that isn't the easiest to play, but is rewarding if I stick with it. I've heard that Orianna is hard to play, but amazing if you can play her well. Can anyone tell me about how long it would take to learn how to play her? Any tips on how to play as Orianna would also be appreciated.

Damned Scholar

10-05-2013

Nobody can tell you how long it will take to learn to play her, because your play style might mesh with her really well or you might not get along at all. I like her a lot, though I feel like you have to pretend that you're controlling two characters when it comes to positioning. Proper placement of the Ball is important to success as Orianna. Unlike a lot of mages, you also have to be highly in-tune with what the other members of your team are doing (this applies to everyone in team games, but especially Orianna). Orianna works best when she can use Command: Protect to shield an ally and have the ally dive into the enemy team so that Ori can use Shockwave and Dissonance in combination. When executed properly, that usually ends up leaving two or three opponents dead or very weak. The fact that the Ball is so powerful also lets you bully your enemies without putting Orianna in harm's way. Orianna is exceptional at playing defense and pretty darn good at offense (though not as good as some mages), so she has a very safe laning phase.

If you aren't sure that you can rely on your team, Orianna might not be the best choice (sometimes team dysfunction shows itself in champion select and you might need to go for a more selfish character). All of her abilities (except her passive) offer utility alongside damage, so she's not going to put out as much raw damage as characters like Brand or Diana. With teammates who are familiar with what Ori can do, however, she works really well in pretty much every situation, and that's why she's been dominant in the highest levels of team play.

theplague1369

10-05-2013

A lot of headaches from dealing with Orianna come from managing The Ball. it has a ton of dual uses, allowing you to speed up, shield, and provide armor and magic resist to your allies. Your Enemies can be slowed and pulled into an inopportune location by The Ball. It also does very well at wave clearing, allow for a sweeping skillshot to damage incoming minions.

Her passive does more damage with each repeated auto attack, so using The Ball to harass and force your enemies into position to get poked by auto attacks isn't a bad strategy. Try throwing The Ball behind your target, it will do damage as it passes through them, and if they attempt to retreat through it, activate W to slow them and allow for more harassment. It will create a trap situation, they will be slowed if they attempt to retreat, and peppered if they stay. Using the ball trap near walls to force them to take a certain route can be beneficial.

Q. Use Q to wave clear, doing significant damage to minions as they travel through the lane. Try to position yourself with minions in between you and the enemy, to gain damage upon minions while harassing. Keep in mind that it does less damage the more enemies it passes through, so if you wish for more damage you will need a clear path to your target.

W. This releases a pulse of damage to surrounding, and emits a field that will slow opponents and speed up allies. This can be used in a variety of ways. using it to slow enemies for the ball trap strategy, or using it in conjunction with Q to provide extra damage to an enemy once it reaches its destination as well as the slow make it a good spell to contain and frustrate opponents with, as well as slowing them to allow for Junglers to jump on them.

E. This pulls the ball to a friendly Champion and deals magic damage along the way. When it reaches the allied Champion, it will shield them and give them armor and magic resist. It can be used to shield yourself for aggressive auto attacks and trading. A decent strategy to use is to throw the ball through your target with Q, slow and deal damage with W, and them pull the ball back through your opponent with E, dealing damage to them and shielding you with to allow you to advance on them.

R. This Ultimate ability emits a large pulse of magic damage from The Ball, after a small delay, it will pull nearby enemies toward the ball. I haven't played a lot of Orianna, so i am unsure about the delay, but experimenting with its usage might allow your to direct certain enemies to undesirable locations. Maybe throwing the ball to one location to do damage with Q, and the activating R to deal more damage and begin the delay timer before redirecting it to another location to pull the target toward that location might be good. I am unsure of the range, or whether it would work, but it could change how a team fight will transpire if it can pull a Carry away from their team or isolate weaker Champions to allow your team to have an advantage.

I am not well versed in how to use Orianna, so some of this stuff might need play testing to better fit how you will use it to fit your play style.

Damned Scholar

10-05-2013

Mostly good advice, but you can't move the Ball while Shockwave is happening. Enemies within the Shockwave AoE are pulled towards the center, which prevents them from charging at you (or running away) and sets them up for other AoE effects, like Dissonance.

theplague1369

10-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damned Scholar View Post
Mostly good advice, but you can't move the Ball while Shockwave is happening. Enemies within the Shockwave AoE are pulled towards the center, which prevents them from charging at you (or running away) and sets them up for other AoE effects, like Dissonance.
Ahh, thank you. I wasn't really sure whether it could be redirected or not, i think i have played her twice, and i tried to use everything i could remember to help me put together a guide. I remember her being a nuisance champion, that ball harasses so much you can almost watch your lane opponent get frustrated or grow more defensive the more you poke with it.

Thanks for correcting that though, i honestly wasn't sure of the ranges or mechanics.

GodKingBill

10-05-2013

Thanks for the replies! She sounds like an interesting character. I'll probably try her in free week first, since I'm not sure her playstyle matches mine.

Damned Scholar

10-05-2013

If you talk a bit about what your playstyle is, we might be able to suggest champions.

I actually bought Orianna for the same reason you've been considering her, to teach me. I knew that she would work well for me because I like characters who have four or five (or more) distinct abilities that are each strong in their own right but have multiple avenues of synergy between them, so there's no one combo to spam repeatedly, but a complex internal relationship that rewards cleverness. I also like characters who have abilities that can be used both offensively and defensively, and these tend to involve heavy amounts of utility (Dissonance is a great example). I like mages in general, but will always choose Karma over Brand, or Viktor over Veigar, because having all of my abilities dedicated to destroying **** is kind of boring for me. The exceptions to this, or what bumps a "like" up to "love", are when I just get a kick out of playing the character (Annie and Draven are good examples); I find the sociopathic clockwork girl to be adorable, particularly every one of her skins (I currently just have Bladecraft, but am not ruling out the option of collecting them as they go on sale).