A Guide To Clairvoyance

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Thas Ninja

12-13-2010

Shploof! and then this big eye thing pops up and you can see stuff. Cool, no? When you first unlocked this spell, you were probably thinking something like, "Lawl big deal I dont need to see them cause I play eve and they cant see me derp derp."
Now, however, you might be reconsidering. So here. Have fun.

First Of All
First of all, clairvoyance is clutch. Wildly, amazingly clutch. If your thinking about playing ranked, you'd better have someone with clairvoyance, or you'd better go back to stomping pugs. If you think its useless, try it out for a game or two. Just think, how many times have you asked yourself, "Hmm, 3 MIA, Wonder if they're doing dragon?" or something similar. If you know what Im talking about, you know why you need clairvoyance. (If you dont know what im talking about, go play maplestory you ignorant ****.)

Who Should Take Clairvoyance
Supports. Supports should take clairvoyance. Janna, Soraka, and Sona are the preferable supports ATM, but you can give it to someone like Taric, Zilean or Nidalee as well. Your DPS doesn't need clairvoyance, even if you are the DPS and your solo carrying to victree. If absolutely nobody will play a support and take clairvoyance, you should either A) Play said support, unless you are filling some other key role like Tank or Carry, or B) Let it be and buy lots of wards.
Basically, if you are rolling with 4 friends, get someone to take clairvoyance. You'll love it.

When To Use Clairvoyance
All the time! Its like beer at a party, LoL on sundays, goldfish on my desk while typing this, and Muja by Avicii at the club. Always. Throw it down whenever your team is questioning the enemies positioning. Use it to check the bush before minions spawn (this is a great one, has saved me from getting FB'ed many a time), use it to check bushes all the time.
Basically, use it to assure yourself of the enemies position. Ever played CODMW2? Ever gotten UAV? Remember all those noobs you pwned? Exactly.

How To Deduce Even MOAR From Clairvoyance
(In case you didn't know, the enemy can see that cute little clairvoyance eyeball as well. Saaaaad Faaaaace. Or is it?)
The Scenario: You throw down clairvoyance in the brush by mid, and the enemy tank pops up. You know clairvoyance is there, he knows it's there, and he doesn't move. Do you rush in because you've got their inhibs pushed and he is over extended? AW HELL NAW. You realize that his team is probably in the bushes that your clairvoyance can't see into, waiting to jump on Kassadin as he riftwalks in for his 30th kill. And if he starts to run? You pounce on that MFer, because he doesn't have any backup.
Basically, feel like Sherlock Holmes and deduce where the rest of the enemy team is by the actions of the one that can be seen.

Speccing For Clairvoyance
At the very least, get the improved duration. Actually, thats all you need. Just get it. It Helps. A lot.

Dont Not Buy Wards Bro
Just cause you have 10 seconds of sight, doesn't mean you dont buy wards. Naw dawg. You still get wards. Clairvoyance just gives you moar.

Hope this helped, was done for xahhfink6, and because im bored. peace.

EDIT:
Decided to add this, cause im an attention *****.
If you liked this, and want to check out some more of my stuff:
http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...71#post4587071
A general guide on team composition, including main roles of champions and how to build a solid team.
http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...d.php?t=357250
My first champ guide EVAR, if you ever find yourself playing a jungle Warwick, check it out
http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...d.php?t=344243
Some tips on how to enjoy the game more, for optimal fun-ness
PCE

xahhfink6

12-13-2010

Some really solid advice here, thanks, especially about understanding what seeing certain actions mean with CV...

I'm thinking I might still make a video guide to CV, but I might take that advice in mind and will reference you if I use it.

silverfoxxflame

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-14-2010

Very helpful information to some of the newer guys here. just as a side note from a janna main who's been practicing as much as possible:

1. If you think you can predict their route enough, try and keep an eye on their jungler. this leads to knowing what buffs they have, where they are, how close they are to ganking levels, if you have to worry about dragon, etc. if you lose the jungler and it's still early, try checking other spots for them. if it's getting down to about gank time, throw down one on the bushes by a lane your team is pushing. You can ruin many a junglers day by spotting them with a clairvoyance, even more so if you keep a good eye on their jungling. I had one game where i hit their jungler in part of CV every single time it came up, which with it's short cooldown is a MAJOR help. Plus it pisses off said jungler who started yelling at me in chat to quit spying on him.

2. There are times when you should save clairvoyance, and times you shouldn't. It's mostly obvious, if 5 people are in lanes then what are you checking on? but if your eye is on the minimap and you see trist leave mid going bot, or just the mid gone, throw a CV to top or bottom if they're pushing and trying to catch it. Just think instead of throwing a random CV, or before throwing one into the bushes to double check and see if sion and garen are waiting with their stun to throw a hurt on your lanemate.

Late-game CV's can be the worst or the best use of the skill. if your team's backdooring a turret/inhib, a CV can save multiple people's lives, knowing when the other teams going to get there can easily save multiple lives if your team has to retreat or can turn the entire battle in your favor by not being surprised by say, a fiddlesticks crowstorm or a gragas ult barrel.

Final note in this clustered thing that came out of my mind:

Almost nothing is more important than positioning in this game. CV helps let you get positioning and know what your opponents positioning is without necessarily showing them yours. Use that to your complete advantage, and you'll be nearly unstoppable.

NewbieX2

12-14-2010

This is pretty helpful. Inspires me to pick it in my next game. I think I'll try it out on Zilean, thanks!

Gato Muerto

12-14-2010

I pug almost all my games, and have only once ran into someone who would pick CV besides myself. I tend to play tank/support characters, and used to have a problem with getting ganked or otherwise out of position. I took to grabbing CV and have seen my survivability go WAY up. Galio, Morgana are rather slow and having the ability to check the area around your lane all the time helps immensely.

Check (almost) immediately upon the start of the game. I wait til I see one or two people on my side buy items, then shine the spotlight. It can usually give me an idea of 3-4 opponent builds and initial lanes, which can make a difference for my own team.
Check again once it comes off c/d (as long as it is before 1:15) and double-check a sidelane for opponents. Use it to check the bushes when minions reach each other and you have a MIA in your (or the other) lane.

REALLY think about getting it if you see a Garen on the opposing side, or expect a jungler (WW, Nunu, Amumu). Free bush checks? Great thing! Also, remind your teammates that you have it, and they can call for safe bush checks. If someone calls MIA, check the likely gank-spots. If you are assaulting a tower and there are MIAs, check the area either behind the tower (if you expect them to come from base, such as just respawned) or to the side of the tower (expect a different lane to come to cover).

Aside from a few bad games, I have been able to reduce my deaths during the laning phase to almost nothing.

Thas Ninja

12-14-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by xahhfink6 View Post
Some really solid advice here, thanks, especially about understanding what seeing certain actions mean with CV...

I'm thinking I might still make a video guide to CV, but I might take that advice in mind and will reference you if I use it.
By all means make a video, anything that helps the community.

Thanks a ton for all the feedback guys, really appreciate it

Thas Ninja

12-14-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfoxxflame View Post
Very helpful information to some of the newer guys here. just as a side note from a janna main who's been practicing as much as possible:

1. If you think you can predict their route enough, try and keep an eye on their jungler. this leads to knowing what buffs they have, where they are, how close they are to ganking levels, if you have to worry about dragon, etc. if you lose the jungler and it's still early, try checking other spots for them. if it's getting down to about gank time, throw down one on the bushes by a lane your team is pushing. You can ruin many a junglers day by spotting them with a clairvoyance, even more so if you keep a good eye on their jungling. I had one game where i hit their jungler in part of CV every single time it came up, which with it's short cooldown is a MAJOR help. Plus it pisses off said jungler who started yelling at me in chat to quit spying on him.

2. There are times when you should save clairvoyance, and times you shouldn't. It's mostly obvious, if 5 people are in lanes then what are you checking on? but if your eye is on the minimap and you see trist leave mid going bot, or just the mid gone, throw a CV to top or bottom if they're pushing and trying to catch it. Just think instead of throwing a random CV, or before throwing one into the bushes to double check and see if sion and garen are waiting with their stun to throw a hurt on your lanemate.

Late-game CV's can be the worst or the best use of the skill. if your team's backdooring a turret/inhib, a CV can save multiple people's lives, knowing when the other teams going to get there can easily save multiple lives if your team has to retreat or can turn the entire battle in your favor by not being surprised by say, a fiddlesticks crowstorm or a gragas ult barrel.

Final note in this clustered thing that came out of my mind:

Almost nothing is more important than positioning in this game. CV helps let you get positioning and know what your opponents positioning is without necessarily showing them yours. Use that to your complete advantage, and you'll be nearly unstoppable.
Also, this is really solid advice. Thanks alot

Kajitii

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-14-2010

CV can also be used to take away the advantage of brush for the enemy in a team fight, and makes juking very difficult in the jungle.