Soraka's Passive

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Linna Excel

10-03-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof Nekko View Post
Well with the death of Karma we're in need of more healer archetypes that's for sure. In the case of infuse, I think the path here should not be to discourage her from using it on allies, but encourage her to provide value in using it on enemies.
More healers isn't happening. Maybe we'll see an occasional support with a heal, but Riot considers them toxic.

I do agree that the main benefit of infuse is the offensive nature and that should be the focus. Maybe make it an energy regen over time so you are more inclined to use it when the enemy is away and it is less valuable when you are trading. One thing I floated around before was to lower the damage and energy gain base value, but make the skill work like Nasus's Q. More kills means more energy and damage.

emTmyclipin2u

10-03-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meddler View Post
Can't see any reason to significantly alter Wish, it's a great spell and a really healthy heal (generates clutch saves, has skillful uses, has multiple use cases, comes with a significant cost).

As far as Infuse goes mana restore to ally has been a bit problematic, particularly given there's no cost apart from the CD to Soraka so much of the time it's simply 'Push Infuse on ally without max mana or you're doing it wrong'. A healthier approach there would be something along the lines of giving Infuse a mana cost, so it's not an automatic choice to give mana to an ally, but then also reduces Soraka's other mana costs to compensate. Might result in too much transfer of agency from support to team mate though ('Spend your mana to heal someone else while they actually engage with the enemy, then give away the remainder as well') so some potential issues there too.
Why not reverse the passive and infuse? Give Soraka a new passive that says "Soraka's spell casts on allies restore mana", then move the mr from her passive onto her heal (She has to have some kind of healin her main spells), bam. No more problems with the lack of gameplay with her mr passive, and she can give healthy amounts of mana without having to sacrifice costs outside of her spells costs.

vasheenomed

10-03-2013

make infuse lower mana costs of spells on an ally... that way it has to be used as they use mana and not just spammed that is how I would fix infuse

Meddler

Lead Champion Designer

10-03-2013
6 of 6 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linna Excel View Post
Fair enough. I take it that's why Sona's aura is okay: it changes as a part of what skills you are using and there's an active game play element to it. Could this be in Soraka's future? MR for using Q, armor for using W, and some sort of regen for using E? She'd still have the aura but it'll vary by the last skill used.

However for the sake of the argument, couldn't Soraka's aura part of the decision going in to pick her as a champ? If I was on the fence and saw I was going against a heavy AP team, I might grab her over someone else. Or if I'm thinking about someone to go mid, while I know she's not the best, that free MR does help her a little as a solo lane champ starting out.

Speaking of midaraka, please don't forget those of us who like her in a solo lane if you decide to rework her. She's got a lot of qualities that make her tempting for being used as a sustained damage mage.

You are giving up the silence and poke damage if you use it on an ally. And some ADCs mismanage their mana so poorly you aren't doing them any favors. Like I said, she's tempted to be used as a solo laner and this is part of the though process: her E is free poke or a free last hit since her AA and Q are problematic for those things.

Why not just give up the on ally cast part and rename infuse?
Sona's auras are somewhat better certainly, there is some play going on there, though the decisions associated with the activation effects do often drown out decision making based on the auras. Wouldn't be inclined to put something like that on Soraka though, in part simply because that's already Sona's thing - would much rather create more distinctive niches for champions where possible than homogenize them unnecessarily.

R.E. picking Soraka for her aura, particularly against certain comps, then yes, there is some decision making offered there. Again though it's pretty overwhelmed by all the other things that go into 'Should I pick Soraka' - how she'll match up against lane opponents, what sort of team comp you're running etc. It's definitely the best argument in favor of the current passive in my eyes, feel there's strong opportunity to do better though.

Linna Excel

10-03-2013

Yeah, I can totally see updating the passive from an active gameplay perspective. However from a Soraka player perspective, you are asking her to give up a huge chunk of her base tankiness depending on what happens with it. That's kind of scary when all the tank you have is a RSS.

I could see it the aura as a yin-yang feature of starcall: when you use starcall, your +MR aura for allies turns into a -MR aura for enemies for 5-8 seconds. That way you'd have to time its use or realize that your active spamming of starcall is going to leave you a little more open. Then you key the base strength of the aura a little according to the number of ranks in it for another decision making process while leveling. Also, not getting starcall means you don't have an aura at all until it gets a point in it.

But if you do that, she'd probably need a new Consecration passive. I could live with that though depending on the the new passive.

exec3

10-04-2013

I'm curious Meddler, do you feel the same way about Fiddlesticks -MR aura as you do Soraka's MR aura?

Sydelle

10-04-2013

Please don't meddle with Raka.

Please. Her passive is great. It's fabulous. It makes perfect sense.

shmoos

10-04-2013

They should give her heals a passive, lower cooldown by 1sec per auto attack.

KirbyCake

10-04-2013

how about you fix soraka's q and r glitch first before even talking about a rework

YGY818

10-04-2013

Soraka gives MR Aura. Fiddle gives MR Reduction Aura.
Soraka Heals HP. Fiddle drains HP.
Soraka Silences 2.5 seconds. Fiddle Fears 3 seconds.
Soraka starcalls. Fiddle Silence/damages ranged.
Soraka heals everyone global. Fiddle Damages everyone aoe.

Soraka and Fiddle are so much alike.
Why not give Soraka or fiddle both 3 or 2.5 second fear/silence?