Soraka's Passive

First Riot Post
123456 ... 10
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Shattered Clock

10-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yousogreat View Post
Ooooh, I like that. Make it half of what she shreds, though, or it's way too OP.
My only goal in League is to see Soraka at 100% pick/ban status.

Meddler

Lead Champion Designer

10-02-2013
2 of 6 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandyvag View Post
I actually like her passive though. It allows her to be a nightmare solo laner against AP Assassins. Start game, grab a null magic mantle, and just stroll in to lane with over 60 MR as you point and laugh at Ahri/Kassadin's pitiful damage against you.

With the removal of Runic Bulwark and the whole DFG/Voidstaff thing we've got going on in every game, having someone with an AoE MR buff isn't such a bad thing. It also compliments the MR shred on her Q (which you should never touch). She'll take yours away and give it to her friends.

Actually, that's not a bad idea. Instead of just shredding MR from targets, Soraka steals it with her Q and gives it to herself and nearby allies.
Her passive definitely offers power, particularly early on in lane and once team fights start, no argument there. It doesn't create much gameplay though. You don't stand near allies you wouldn't otherwise stand near because of it, the decisions associated with the rest of her kit instead overwhelm that as a consideration. There's also not much you can do to be a more skilled user of that aura, it's just there, and the actions that maximize it (be with your team, don't die, be in a fight but no need to be right in the center given its large range) are the actions you'll be taking anyway.

Compare that with say Nami's passive by contrast. Sure, often the extra movement speed's just be an incidental benefit, there are regularly moments though where you'll get an opportunity to use spells in a way or at a time you otherwise wouldn't if you want to access the power that passive offers you (E an ally to help them get away, even if they can't spare the time to auto attack, look to angle an ult through your team as well as the enemy's etc).

Yousonerfed

10-02-2013

Hey Meddler, what if Soraka's heal were one that increased by 1% per 1% of the target's missing health? If you were to tweak the base values (and maybe the AP ratio) to work with this mechanic, wouldn't that help with the "sustain problem" and make Astral Blessing more of a clutch heal?

Meddler

Lead Champion Designer

10-02-2013
3 of 6 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yousogreat View Post
As long as we're talking about Soraka, Meddler, could you check out this discussion I've made?

http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com...961&highlight=

It's a discussion suggesting the possibility of making Soraka's heal increase based on her target's missing health (with some tweaking to the base amount). Worse for sustain, better for clutch.
Yeah, been idling thinking about something similar as a way to reward active, skilled play and avoid passive, unhealthy sustain, agree there's a lot of potential there. Whether Soraka's the appropriate choice for that mechanic not yet sure (been thinking about supports in general a bit while we look at Season 4 associated changes). Something I'd be inclined to explore if taking a look at Soraka changes at some point though, and not necessarily just on the W.

Brightinly

10-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Arrudar View Post
Soraka has an MR+ passive for nearby allies.
problem is that AD is becoming more popular these days.
Even then the passive is useless once the AP gets a voidstaff. That thing and last whisper are OP.

Yousonerfed

10-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meddler View Post
Yeah, been idling thinking about something similar as a way to reward active, skilled play and avoid passive, unhealthy sustain, agree there's a lot of potential there. Whether Soraka's the appropriate choice for that mechanic not yet sure (been thinking about supports in general a bit while we look at Season 4 associated changes). Something I'd be inclined to explore if taking a look at Soraka changes at some point though, and not necessarily just on the W.
So you might do this for more than just Astral Blessing, and also make Wish scale with missing health? That'd be pretty awkward.

Either way, glad to hear you've considered it.

Yousonerfed

10-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brightinly View Post
Even then the passive is useless once the AP gets a voidstaff. That thing and last whisper are OP.
Morello's already looking at nerfing their cost efficiency. Hopefully they'll get something like a 500 gold increase in cost so they're not worth it unless your targets are heavily resistant.

IshmaeI

10-02-2013

ily meddler. just thought I'd let ya know that I really do think you do a good job (:

Shattered Clock

10-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meddler View Post
Her passive definitely offers power, particularly early on in lane and once team fights start, no argument there. It doesn't create much gameplay though. You don't stand near allies you wouldn't otherwise stand near because of it, the decisions associated with the rest of her kit instead overwhelm that as a consideration. There's also not much you can do to be a more skilled user of that aura, it's just there, and the actions that maximize it (be with your team, don't die, be in a fight but no need to be right in the center given its large range) are the actions you'll be taking anyway.

Compare that with say Nami's passive by contrast. Sure, often the extra movement speed's just be an incidental benefit, there are regularly moments though where you'll get an opportunity to use spells in a way or at a time you otherwise wouldn't if you want to access the power that passive offers you (E an ally to help them get away, even if they can't spare the time to auto attack, look to angle an ult through your team as well as the enemy's etc).

I can agree with your point here. I generally run in to the middle of a fight as Soraka anyway (Battleraka OP) and try to position myself so that the majority of my team can benefit from the aura.

Her gameplay can be very passive even when you build yourself as Battleraka. In the end it comes down to silencing the most dangerous caster on the enemy team, trying to make a clutch heal, and Q spamming as hard as possible while trying to avoid death. There isn't a lot of interaction with her kit and that could definitely be worked on.

If you do remove her MR passive though, I would like to see her receive a +16 buff to her base MR so that Soraka can continue to be a terror to AP laners.

So the goal with her passive is to give her passive a more interactive one. Here are a few ideas I just brainstormed on/have had on the back burner for a while.

Every time Soraka casts an ability on an ally, they receive X% bonus to all healing and regenerative effects for Y seconds. Unsure of whether or not this should stack.

This lets her keep her "Healer," feel while allowing W to feel a bit more impactful late game-when it just becomes an armor buff. It also gives a bit of room for W to be reworked away from a burst heal in to more of a reactive heal (only heals on damage given/taken)-If you're keeping it as a heal. It also gives Soraka the choice between being aggressive on the enemy or building up some of her passive on an ally because they're low.

You could also allow it to work on enemies with a % reduction on healing effects.

Soraka reduces all damage taken by 5% in an aura that is "X" units big (I'm thinking somewhere in the 450-525 range). Not a lot of reduction going on, but scales well in to lategame and helps her given the lack of mobility thing she has going on. Also gives her the choice to stand close to the front line so they can absorb a bit more damage or run towards an ally to help take off some of the sting they are taking.

Whenever Soraka casts a spell it heals the nearest ally for [insert minuscule amount]+potential AP ratio; has a cooldown of X. Positioning is now more important and this gives her a Sona like heal (small and spammy) which I know Morello is not against. Or is he?

Soraka's spell casts on an enemy build up charges. At X charges, the enemy is silenced for Y seconds.

This opens up more build paths for Soraka and gives her the element of surprise in battle. The enemy no longer wants prolonged engagements because they will be silenced.

OR

Have the charges build up and detonate some damage after X number of successful spell casts against them. Promotes aggressive Soraka playstyle.

I don't know, just kind of spitballing here.

DEA1201

10-03-2013

Thing what I really like about Soraka:

R - This is the most fun ability in her kit, because it is global heal. After hitting 6 you almost always check other lanes when they are on critical hp. When they are you can save them from killing blow. And probably this is the only support who's most usual getting credit for saving ally. Late game it's also a good ability as it offers tons of heal to everyone when they are low.

E - Silence (part) - they have Zed or Kassadin? Don't even dare to kill my carry or you'll get crushed. But then again it's way too long despite Kassadin is pain to deal with when he has similar duration silence for assassin.

W - Heal/Resist (part) - I love that she has huge sustain to save carries from killing

What I don't like about her and would like to be changed:

Passive - It's not bad, but it offers no gameplay making her passive itself as champion.

Q - This ability makes me feel that she has no ability at all, yes, it brings little damage for split pushing and debuffs champion mr, but compared to other support abilities Q is really weak.
I would like to see Q as skillshot/CC/Damage (probably Root as Root+Silence=Stun, as she doesn't almost have any CC and no skillshot) ability to go more aggressive and have some kind of CC to make plays as Soraka. This would mean that her E silence should have lower duration.

W - the resist buff is great thing, but I would like to see it's CDR reduced in order for weaker heal but stronger as target gets lower % hp. This should offer some counter play to her massive heal, thought W could also get debuff to enemy target for reduced Armor/MR to give Soraka play style more diversity, meaning do you go all in or you save your W cooldown to save allie. This should offer deeper strategy to enemies and Soraka.

123456 ... 10