Trying to figure out my FPS issues

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Spwin

05-15-2013

So I've been playing on a mid-2009 MBP for over a year now, first using iLol and now the Mac client. I never got great FPS (at best 30), but today my FPS in both howling abyss and SR dropped into single digits. I've tinkered with video settings, but nothing seems to work. The laptop itself is heating up quite dramatically, which makes me think it might be on this end, but LoL client has been using up more and more CPU today.

I'm really just looking for advice on what to try. Or is it time for a new computer?

Dataslave

Adjudicator

05-15-2013

Post your system specs and exact video settings, and we can give you a better idea.

First off, Howling Abyss has performance issues, you may get as low as 20% lower fps on this map than on other maps. Second, they introduced a change last patch which was supposed to help lower end (integrated) video cards perform better, but had the side effect of tanking performance on midrange cards. Hopefully they'll get these issues worked out soon.

Things you can try:
- SMC reset
- Turn off shadows, turn off vsync, frame rate cap to benchmark.

Spwin

05-15-2013

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro5,4
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.53 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 4 GB

NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB graphics

I've always had Shadows off, all categories set to very low. I've fiddled with vsync on and off and different frame rate caps, including benchmark. None seem to have made a difference. I'll try the SMC reset, but considering I'm not experiencing heat issues outside of LoL, I'm not sure that's it.

Is there anything else I should look at?

Spwin

05-15-2013

Forgot to mention: OS X 10.8.3

Dataslave

Adjudicator

05-16-2013

You can also try forcing it to use the discrete graphics card rather than the integrated one.

Spwin

05-16-2013

I don't see Automatic Graphic Switching as any kind of option under Energy Saver.

Thanks for your help, hopefully the new patch will improve things.

OneDayZero

05-16-2013

What helped me with my FPS for my MBP (mid 2010) was to turn off Vertical Sync, set all the settings to Medium or lower, and the Frame Rate to Benchmark. My FPS is decent (40-80 depending on action) but my laptop does start to get pretty warm and the fans do blow while in game.

Spwin

05-16-2013

Trying all of the above suggestions, as well as cleaning the interior with compressed air, has only moderated improved the FPS - it's still more unplayable than not. Any other suggestions? I'm beginning to think it's time to upgrade to a new machine.

CrownPuff

05-16-2013

I think I have the exact same Mac as you do (Mid 2009 13"). What I find works for me is shutting off all non league related applications when you're playing. Then downloading this app called "smcFancontrol", you can change defaults on the rpm so that you can have the min (around 1900) when doing normal stuff, and have the rpm go up to around 3800 min when you're playing league. I also run league on a cool surface and have a fan blowing at my mac. Keep track of how hot your mac gets using the smcFancontrol. If it gets over 180+ F, the fps issues are probably caused by overheating. I find that having this allows for my league to run around 30-50 fps most of the time rather than the unplayable <20.

Dataslave

Adjudicator

05-16-2013

You can try is repairing your client, or a clean install, it might help. Although its painful, try lowering your resolution.

Does anybody out there play with the same video card that can chime in with frame rate numbers?

A quick search has pulled up the fact that the game had passable frame rate with that card on windows a few years ago, but its always done poorly on the mac.