How do Provisionals Work?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TSM Bjurgensen

10-01-2013

I'm getting close to level 30, and I've been wondering about the provisional matches. How many matches must be won to get into a certain division? I bet it's different for everyone, but roughly how well do I need to do to get into, say...Siver V? Bronze III? etc...

INeedBeef

10-01-2013

You have 10 provisional games you must attend. Based on your win loss ratio determines where you are placed.

0 out of 10 wins- Bronze 5
1 out of 10 wins- Bronze 4
2 out of 10 wins- Bronze 3
3 out of 10 wins- Bronze 2
4 out of 10 wins- Bronze 1
5 out of 10 wins- Silver 5
6 out of 10 wins- Silver 4
7 out of 10 wins- Silver 3
8 out of 10 wins- Silver 2
9 out of 10 wins- Silver 1
10 out of 10 wins- Gold 5

Suggestion: Don't start your provisional games, unless you have a really decent win loss for normals. Your provisional games are really critical, so take them seriously

MarhsallLee67

10-01-2013

keep in mind that the placements listed above are not always going to be exactly like this. if you have a bad w-l ratio in normal games, there's a chance that you can be placed lower than you normally would.

PlsApport

10-01-2013

It's actually not dependent on normals at all - it depends on your last season's rating (this is your starting MMR, if you had one last season) and the order you win/lose your games - winning a game after going 0-8 will do less than if you were 8-0 at that point.

smalltx

10-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlsApport View Post
It's actually not dependent on normals at all - it depends on your last season's rating (this is your starting MMR, if you had one last season) and the order you win/lose your games - winning a game after going 0-8 will do less than if you were 8-0 at that point.
Oh gawd. I thought new season reset your MMR.
I'm Silver V and I earn 5 LP a win, lose 15-20, so even if I get to 30 LP, I lose it with two losses.
I'm screwed.

Matthias9119

10-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltx View Post
Oh gawd. I thought new season reset your MMR.
I'm Silver V and I earn 5 LP a win, lose 15-20, so even if I get to 30 LP, I lose it with two losses.
I'm screwed.
My understanding is there's at least a partial reset each season, to reflect that a considerable amount of time passed and your skills may have changed (either for better if you've been practicing or worse if you're rusty).

If your MMR is tanked, if you win at a >50% rate it will go up even if you're not gaining LP.

TSM Bjurgensen

10-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by INeedBeef View Post
You have 10 provisional games you must attend. Based on your win loss ratio determines where you are placed.

0 out of 10 wins- Bronze 5
1 out of 10 wins- Bronze 4
2 out of 10 wins- Bronze 3
3 out of 10 wins- Bronze 2
4 out of 10 wins- Bronze 1
5 out of 10 wins- Silver 5
6 out of 10 wins- Silver 4
7 out of 10 wins- Silver 3
8 out of 10 wins- Silver 2
9 out of 10 wins- Silver 1
10 out of 10 wins- Gold 5

Suggestion: Don't start your provisional games, unless you have a really decent win loss for normals. Your provisional games are really critical, so take them seriously
Thanks! I wanted to make ranked before the end of s3....but I'm not sure now...

Sneezingfit

10-01-2013

Don't even do it this season man. I recommend playing normals until season 4 hits and then giving it a try. Right now, the ranked queue is just so toxic :/

Ceedubya

10-01-2013

So, true, bro.

Flagrated

Recruiter

10-02-2013

I would still suggest getting a duo queue partner with some experience in ranked. I won 4 in my provisionals and got Bronze I just because I got carried hard. Try to get at least something close to 200 wins in normal for the experience.