[Guide] Amumu, A Fist Full Of Inadequacy

1234567 ... 11
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Pyronymer

12-22-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razael View Post
capes doesn't cost mana, needs no activation and is an AoE.
Almost everything Amumu does is an AoE.

Activation is not a problem and indeed is a bonus because it lets you control and concentrate the damage.

Mana costs are indeed bad for Amumu, but by the time you can afford the cape you should be high enough level for that to be less of an issue from his base mana growth alone and a LOT less of an issue from buying items other than the capes.

Indeed since the capes do nothing for his existing mana costs, and since buying AP and defensive items doesn't actually increase the mana costs anyway you are actually making an argument AGAINST capes by bringing up mana costs.

As for Klazix, where are you living, have you SEEN an Amumu in a game recently, they are walking jokes right now. Maybe in the past, who knows, I haven't been around that long.

Liquid Badger

12-22-2009

Ok so let me get this straight you are saying that Amumu isn't worth the time of day, and that its almost not worth taking the time to kill him in a fight, because Yi or whoever is beating on all your squishies. Yet you are against buying easy free damage that hits everyone nearby with no cd and does ok damage and cannot be blocked by Sivir's shield or banshee's veil.

Amumu players are meant to take advantage of being seen as worthless and be the underdog doing constant damage to everyone making them all easier to kill for other people.

If you don't like that play style why play Amumu? Play Twitch or Twisted Fate instead since it seems like you want to be a carry. If you do want to be a tank play a tank as far as I'm concerned Amumu is a unique class of his own using constant AoE magical Dps in a relatively health friendly form. That said, if you don't take advantage of all the AoE Dps available then you aren't using Amumu to his full potential. Not to mention I almost never see anyone stack magic resist most people try to counter the Yi's and ashe's of the world and forget about magic damage in general.

Note: I don't stack capes when I play Amumu I get one, only one, generally in order I focus on getting my chalice first since without that you really are a worthless mummy then go for boots (+3 ms) you get the anti MR gear and cape then roughly by mid-late game (20-30 mins) you do a considerable amount of aoe damage. Frankly I usually go +10 kills on a good game and on a bad 2 to 5. My highest record with Amumu was 36-6-14 that was a rediculous game though in which I've never had the chance to repeat.

Come on Pyro, you know you want to give Amumu a hug.

P.S. His abilities may take a lot of mana in the beginning but they do a ton of damage to low healthed heros like Yi or Shaco assuming you can time it right or use the grass.

Pyronymer

12-22-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylverin View Post
Amumu players are meant to take advantage of being seen as worthless
So you do see Amumu as worthless and understand that he looks that way.

There is a simple reason he seems worthless. He is. Now we have damage recap you should be able to see this in practice. Despair isn't going to be a major contributing factor in your deaths.

Surprising people with your powas only works if you have some actual surprising powas. If ALL your powas are those ones that make you "seem" worthless... you have... Amumu.
Quote:
I almost never see anyone stack magic resist
You don't need to stack it. Magic Resist is very very good with just a small amount, which you get by accident by building cool items that do other stuff.

See magic attacks just plain don't go off frequently enough or big enough to for it to really really matter, if you can reduce magic damage by maybe 40%, which is not hard to do without trying, then hey, you can almost ignore a lot of it. Certainly you can ignore Amumu's magic damage with that sort of MR.

Quote:
I focus on getting my chalice first
I advice against that. Get the tear drop mana thing instead and turn it into that rod that gives you +2% AP or something. Late game when you start actually USING your mana the chalice will be excessive. Early game all it gives you is MR and mana regen you cant spend on anything worthwhile.

At least with the tear drop thing you are building both AP and max Mana, both of which are better on Amumu than regen. Despair is better with a big battery rather than blowing your entire fortune on trying to make a profit on mana expenditure/income.

Quote:
Frankly I usually go +10 kills on a good game and on a bad 2 to 5.
I've been there and done that last patch. But sheer crazy nail biting edge of your seat skill counts for nothing in a discussion of whether or not a Champion sucks or not, and what to do about it.

Quote:
P.S. His abilities may take a lot of mana in the beginning but they do a ton of damage to low healthed heros like Yi or Shaco assuming you can time it right or use the grass.
Well they sort of DID do a lot of damage to low health heroes. Did you read the last patch notes? Despair was running off Amumu's max health for a little bit there. That would have hurt Shaco a bit. Until they "fixed" it...

Aside from that Amumu should replace Despair with the ability to pick up an allied Yi and throw him at people. Then he could bandage toss and achieve something against all those "low health" heroes the Yi toss ability would create. Otherwise he is an answer (to low health heroes) without a way of forcing people to ask the question (and stand around being low health heroes without buying health items they buy anyway to survive the REAL opponents).

VampireFred

12-22-2009

want to grab some one?blitz does it 100 milions better
want to do aoe? evey mage does it 200 millions better
want to be a tank?singed/bull/rammus...it seems every tank does it better
want to stun someone?there are too many choices
want to hurt somebody around all the time?try fiddlestick/kathus

Good thread,despairy amumu will sit on the bench all the time:crying...I know u would never pick meT_T

Vichar

12-23-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyronymer View Post
Almost everything Amumu does is an AoE.

Activation is not a problem and indeed is a bonus because it lets you control and concentrate the damage.

Mana costs are indeed bad for Amumu, but by the time you can afford the cape you should be high enough level for that to be less of an issue from his base mana growth alone and a LOT less of an issue from buying items other than the capes.

Indeed since the capes do nothing for his existing mana costs, and since buying AP and defensive items doesn't actually increase the mana costs anyway you are actually making an argument AGAINST capes by bringing up mana costs.

As for Klazix, where are you living, have you SEEN an Amumu in a game recently, they are walking jokes right now. Maybe in the past, who knows, I haven't been around that long.
If we're being serious for a moment:

Amumu, with his AOE stun and AOE damage, was regarded as God Tier until the patch where they nerfed his AOE stun duration from 3 sec to 2.5 sec. Now I believe the general consensus is that he's middle of the pack. For a brief time with the wtf Cleanse, Amumu was gimped but now Cleanse is fixed and Amumu is back to being useful again. He's just not god tier anymore.

EDIT: Don't forget that Amumu can chain stun his bandage and ULT. It's really easy to pull it off too. Two stuns in a row that are easy to execute is not to be understimated as value to the team. Saying that other champs do certain things better without really examining Amumu's strengths is only telling half the story.

Dancing Cow

12-23-2009

This thread seems to be by a person who got their face pounded in repeatedly while playing Amumu. Hes not a gank, a tank, or a viable means of attaining personal glory. Amumu is a support, best played in conjuction with a magical carry like fiddle or annie. His passive HURTS. His auras burn squishies fast.

To give you a little strat to try out to ease your QQ, both fiddle and mumu have ults that are amazing for ganking. Let mumu initiate by using his bandage, fiddle begins channeling for crowstorm, mumu casts curse... Thats at least a few seconds of serious ult damage with the enemy suffering magic resistance reduction from both fiddle and mumu. If they manage to survive, they'll try to get away, but by then your bandage will be off cooldown, giving fiddle just enough time to fear and drain them dead.

With a couple sunfire capes, and maxed out despair, you're looking at a dude that carries will not want to be near.

Pyronymer

12-23-2009

You didn't actually read a word of it did you Fyorin?

Because there isn't a word of your post that hasn't been covered somewhere in my material, much of it in the original posts.

Vichar at least TRIES to say something slightly new. Though he fails to point out exactly where the strengths that "should" be discussed are.

Vichar

12-23-2009

Sorry Pyronymer, I was trying to reply to 2 posts at once, but I only quoted you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VampireFred View Post
want to grab some one?blitz does it 100 milions better
want to do aoe? evey mage does it 200 millions better
want to be a tank?singed/bull/rammus...it seems every tank does it better
want to stun someone?there are too many choices
want to hurt somebody around all the time?try fiddlestick/kathus

Good thread,despairy amumu will sit on the bench all the time:crying...I know u would never pick meT_T
Ok, as to what Amumu's specific strengths are, I think it's the fact that he gets 2 stuns. The only other Champ that comes close is Morgana. However, her Dark Binding is not actually a Stun-you can still attack and flash / riftwalk while bound. Also, her Soul Shackles are a lot harder to stun with than Amumu's ult, because Amumu's takes effect instantly, whereas Morgana has to actually survive 4 seconds of focused fire for her stun to go off.

This is what I was trying to indicate. Yeah, other champs stun, but nobody stuns quite as well as Amumu. As far as the other stuff, it's not like Amumu is bad at those things. Let's examine AOE damage for a moment:

Nunu: you have to survive focused fire long enough to actually harm people AOE style.
Fiddlesticks: You can get stunned while charging this up, and people can hear you doing it and spread out.
Rammus: This poor 'dillo's AOE is nothing to write home about. It's a joke.
Gangplank: OK, this AOE is actually pretty good. It's not guaranteed though, and it doesn't actually stun.
Nasus: The ranged AOE is nice, but you need a friend to root them to it.
Morgana: The ranged AOE is nice, AND you can root them to it. Morgana was god tier for good reason. That is, until they nerfed Black Shield and Soul Shackles.

Conclusion? Amumu brings advanced crowd control to the table, and marries that with some really decent AOE. His passive magic resistance reduction is pretty serious stuff--it's just not that obvious because it's harder to see the harm it is doing (kinda like a magical Black Cleaver). Taken together, Amumu is a tank that does enough damage and stuns well enough to warrant attention during a team fight, which is the utmost goal of any tank. That's what I mean by his strength.

EDIT: I fully acknowledge that getting out of the early laning phase without being behind is really hard now that Tantrum has been "fixed". It's just too hard to lane against ranged champs now and champs with ranged harass abilities. The real problem is that Bandage Toss is great harass, except that it drags Amumu into harms way, therefore forcing him to take damage. This means he has to go back to the fountain too often, and falls behind. If only the AOE lifesteal Despair worked well enough to compensate...

Pyronymer

12-23-2009

You have some very strange ideas Vichar.

Stuns, and slows, and throws, which are often as good (if not better) are common as dirt in this game.

No one else has two? Really? Aliister has at least a throw and a stun, Jana has two throws and a slow, Blitzcrank has 2 stuns one of which throws you and the other one of which urinates all over bandage toss by bringing YOU to HIM (and being all round better at the same time). Plenty of people have "stay still and cop it" effects.

And since Bandage toss has one of the briefest and rare non-scaling stun durations in the game it barely even counts as being a stun.

Not to mention that the duration on curse is no good until you have three points on it. And the cooldown is so long you will hardly ever have curse available to use ANYWAY

So Amumu has more like 1.5 stuns at best, and the vast majority of the time he won't have Curse 3 ready to use and will instead have only 0.5 stuns on hand.

I ran both Amumu and Janna as movement control, a lot, and Janna beats him at that hands down. ALLISTER beats him at that hands down, and frankly Morgana and veigar do too. Hell almost anyone does thanks to the tiny duration of bandage toss and the massive cooldown of curse.

His "non-obvious" MR reduction bad touch passive is a joke. He isn't good at physical attacking, none of his abilities boost physical attacking, his physical attacks are melee range only and not very fast. You won't be dropping many of those without building a physical attack amumu, an amumu who lacks abiliities to support that role and who will cease to care about MR reduction because you will have invested all his gear in phys attack instead of magic attack (duh).

As for the "AOE Lifesteal Despair"... Lifesteal? Where DID you get that idea? Its just damage. That is all. Not that it matters with that sort of weak weak and expensive, and circumstantial damage. (PS the Despair tooltip in the champion browser still says AMumu does despair damage based on HIS Hit Points... hmmmm)

Quote:
Amumu is a tank that does enough damage and stuns well enough to warrant attention during a team fight, which is the utmost goal of any tank.
You aren't aiming very high with your tank goals are you?

The aim of any tank is to contribute as much to the success of the team as any other character.

You don't have to kill things but you have to contribute the EQUIVALENT effectiveness in not killing things as a Yi or a Twitch contributes in you know, actually killing things.

Making people want to kill you is not enough on its own. The whole "In your face you wasted time killing Amumu you silly Yi" was very much a joke, because while Yi might be contributing LESS to his team by killing Amumu instead of killing Yi, he still gets cash and XP and it isn't like it is hard or takes long or costs him anything.

See to tank you have to make people want to kill you AND be hard to kill.

Amumu fails on point 2. Hell, he actually fails on point 1 if people paid actual attention to how weak he really is on offense and "support".

Not to mention that a lot of tanks out there in this game at the moment have some real offensive power. Blitzcrank, Malaphite, and Rammus might actually kill you AND are more tanky than Amumu. Hell even post nerf Tryndamere is more "Tanky" than Amumu.

In fact Blitzcrank in general is a big insult to Amumu in a lot of respects when I think about it.

Pheownix

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-23-2009

I have to disagree with your idea that amumu is so much easier to kill than other tanks that he's worthless. Once you take items, glyphs and masteries into account his EHP is not far behind other tanks, just falling behind in real tanking potential because of active skills (or passive saves like blitzcrank I suppose...). The kicker is that he does an ungodly amount of damage in a team fight. You seriously understimate how much damage is being dished out by an amumu who blows his load and is itemized correctly. You keep mentioning Yi and twitch like they are the bane of tanks, but with the new thornmail they're a joke.

Think about it like this in a team fight:

You turn on despair, bandage toss into the fight, tantrum and blow COTSM. In 3 seconds (it takes about .5 for them to react after the stun wears off) your despair has taken 10% of their hp, let's say 200 hp, your tantrum has done 175 and your COTSM has done 375 (150 per second x2.5)
=750 hp. Let's take off 20% due to magic resist, which brings it to 600 damage done in 3 seconds, to most likely 4/5 or even every member of their team. That's almost 1/3rd of an average dps character's life, taken by 1 character. Sure they can cleanse it, but then your teammates are going to stun them to death afterwards.

Of course, that sounds like a perfect situation, but for perspective, the other team will hardly ever have a perfect situation where they can avoid your COTSM and all of your damage, and bandage toss allows you to get into the middle of a group easily enough. Even if they focus you, by the time you die, your damage +thornmail will be enough that your team will just wipe them out if they are as good as the other team, which is a win most of the time. Basically the point is, that it is very hard to compare amumu apples to apples with any other character in the game because he's very different, not excelling at any one thing but definetly useful when you put together all of his subpar skills.

Oh, and thornmail on a tank>physical carries.

1234567 ... 11