Terms / Slang Guide?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TR2N

12-21-2009

Me <- Brand new to LoL and I've never played DOTA. Already dropped my other games to play this now.

With that, perhaps there can be a term's guide to brand new players? Community edited perhaps. I'm seeing slang used and no idea what it means. Now I could ask, but I'd have to ask every time a new term comes up. I don't know how many there are that I don't know yet, but I've already seen a few. Maybe there could be a single thread somewhere that houses the majority of terms used throughout the community so a noob like myself can quickly reference it until it becomes permanently part of my brain.

To start, I have no (or maybe just some) idea what the following mean:

Backdoor

Creeps - I'm assuming those are the neutral mobs and not the minions.

feeder

--- Heimer --- - I was looking on the website, not ingame... found him ingame. Bah. and there's no strikethrough markup for this editor.

Jungler

Leaver - I'm also assuming this is at any point in the game, not just a single spot like the champ select?

Premade - I'm guessing that's when you make a team and look for players to play against?

Udyr

Zirun

12-21-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR2N View Post
Backdoor
To attack a tower/inhibitor/nexus with no allied creeps around. Generally you'll see champions like Master Yi, Tryndamere, and Twitch do this, though lots of DPS champions can if the tower's health is low enough. Lots of people don't like backdooring, but it is allowed. Towers without any enemy creeps around (ie if you are backdooring) will have more armor, and thus are harder to kill (along with the backdooring champion usually having to take blows from the tower).

Quote:
Creeps - I'm assuming those are the neutral mobs and not the minions.
Any of the non-champion units, for the most part. The more important/powerful ones are often referred to by names, like Baron Nashor, the Dragon, super creeps.

Quote:
feeder
Somebody who dies a lot to the opponents. It can be on purpose or not, but these people are generally not helpful to your team, and often lead to opponent(s) having a huge level/gold advantage.

Quote:
Heimer - Assuming a champion or pet, but I can't find him/her/it.
Heimerdinger, The Revered Inventor is a champion. He's considered by a lot (likely most) people to be underpowered.

Quote:
Jungler
A champion that roams the jungle killing the neutral creeps. This champion likely will (and should) help out allies that are in trouble or attack enemies that are in a vulnerable position, as they have the advantages of the lizard (slow and damage over time on attack) and golem (huge mana regeneration and reduced cooldowns) buffs.

Quote:
Leaver - I'm also assuming this is at any point in the game, not just a single spot like the champ select?
You are correct, a leaver is a person who leaves a game. Leaving a game in progress, especially at the start, is frowned upon more than leaving at champion select, as leaving at champion select does not cause your team to be at a disadvantage in the game.

Quote:
Premade - I'm guessing that's when you make a team and look for players to play against?
A premade is an organized team of players. Some premades are simply a group of people that have played before and like playing with each other, and some premades are group of real life friends who play together.

Quote:
Udyr
Another champion that's generally considered underpowered (though he's a lot better now than he used to be).

Rudeboymike

Eurrikke

12-21-2009

http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...ighlight=terms

or try the search bar.

TR2N

12-21-2009

ah. I should have searched. TBO, my faith in search results has been weakening over the years. I'm often torn between trying to search and seeing if it's worth going through the results, or just asking. I chose poorly this time. It's always the one time I don't try that gets me.

<- Caught with pants down.

L3ONID4S

02-22-2012

gank?

Michiyo95

10-25-2012

Gank is when they attack you from the bushes, or from nowhere xD An ambush, really.

Glaedien

10-25-2012

A third list if you're interested

http://leagueoflegends.wikia.com/wik...ds_terminology