So how exactly does thornmail work?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Valcurdra

12-21-2009

Just a couple of quick questions about thornmail.

It says it affects standard attacks. I assume that means only auto attack damage and not spells. I guess this means it also effects things like parley, spray and pray and blitz punch ability.

It says that it returns 25% of damage taken. Is that before or after the damage you recieve has been modified by armor?

It says it returns the damage as magic damage. I assume this means that your opponent has the chance to reduce the damage using his MR.

Valcurdra

12-22-2009

Come on guys nobody can answer this??

If no one from the community how about the devs?

Fallout3

12-22-2009

I've also raised the question in another thread: Do Ability Power boosts add onto this magic damage returned to the enemy? Would really like to know since this would be an interesting item to get with spell casters that stack a lot of Ability Power. But nobody seems to know as no one replied to the question...

Avilis19

12-22-2009

I need to know how they stack too........eventually all the other question would
be very interesting to know because till now. Its a very underused item.

Hopefully, it would be a solution for master yi late games
2 thorns would nail him

ah well.....waitinf for answer too

Baron Corm

12-24-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valcurdra View Post

It says it affects standard attacks. I assume that means only auto attack damage and not spells. I guess this means it also effects things like parley, spray and pray and blitz punch ability.

It says that it returns 25% of damage taken. Is that before or after the damage you recieve has been modified by armor?

It says it returns the damage as magic damage. I assume this means that your opponent has the chance to reduce the damage using his MR.
Not sure about the first two, but all Magic Damage is reduced by Magic Resistance. This is why Thornmail, and Madred's Bloodrazor, and etc, are not nearly as good as they say they are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallout3 View Post
I've also raised the question in another thread: Do Ability Power boosts add onto this magic damage returned to the enemy? Would really like to know since this would be an interesting item to get with spell casters that stack a lot of Ability Power. But nobody seems to know as no one replied to the question...
AP does not increase the power of something which doesn't state that it does. For example, Tryndamere's spin does not benefit from AP even though it is an AoE damage spell, and you can tell because there's no little (+0) next to it. So Thornmail doesn't benefit from AP. It does, however, benefit from Magic Penetration, which applies to all Magic Damage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avilis19 View Post
I need to know how they stack too
UNIQUE Passives don't stack.

Critical Error

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

12-24-2009

Just fyi, I already buy this item when vs'ing a Yi. The armor it gives you means that when he hits you for 1000, you only take like 500ish. However, the proc hits him as 25% of 1000, so it hits him for 250. You still get hit for more damage than he does, but at least he gets hit for something.

Also, you should know that the damage he gets hit with is reduced, so with low end MR he will only take 200ish damage. It is still something being thrown back at him though. And still a lot less he is throwing at you due to the high armor.

SpearHit

08-19-2011

Returning 25% of the damage taken means out of the 100% damage you take, you only get hit 75% and you damage your opponent for that 25%.

So for example, if you have the Thornmail, and Alistar hits you for 1k damage. You would only receive 750 damage, and do 250 magic damage to Alistar.

GeminiTroll

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-19-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpearHit View Post
Returning 25% of the damage taken means out of the 100% damage you take, you only get hit 75% and you damage your opponent for that 25%.

So for example, if you have the Thornmail, and Alistar hits you for 1k damage. You would only receive 750 damage, and do 250 magic damage to Alistar.
Next time you necro a thread from beta, at least try not to spread misinformation. Thornmail's passive does not reduce damage at all (but the armor part does). In your example, you're right about the enemy taking 250 damage, but you would still take 1000, which will then be reduced by armor and other mitigation before being applied to your HP.

The OP is basically spot on.

Lucariolu

Recruiter

08-19-2011

it returns dmg equal to 25% of the attackers ad before dmg calculations if im not mistaken and yes it can be reduced by magic resist

Ducktaped

08-20-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valcurdra View Post

Here's a cool story, I opened up a seperate tab by clicking Ctrl + T. So after that I type google.com into the address bar, and input the keyword 'thornmail' into the search engine. The first result I got was this interesting page: http://leagueoflegends.wikia.com/wiki/Thornmail

So in the notes section I see this, "The damage reflection only works with auto attacks and skills which apply on-hit effects." Seems pretty obvious to me what the answer to your first question is.

In the description of the item according to this page, found near the top, there was this snippet of information: "Damage returned by Thornmail is calculated before the damage reduction from armor." This phrase seems to fit perfectly with your second quesiton. Following that up was another nice snippet, "The damage dealt by Thornmail is magical, and as such will be reduced by the target magic resistance." Reading this, I realized that this too was completely relevant to your question.

tl;dr: Using an easy to access source, known as LoL wiki, I have shown that all three of your questions can be answered without making a forum post because you're too lazy to use google.