I知 Ransom. Writer on Zac and the upcoming champion (#116). AMAA!

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

wapster

09-19-2013

How big are the new champions boobies?

is there any visual cleavage?

Also, how tall would you say Jarvan IV and Garen would be irl?

these are very important questions that need to be answered ransom pls

Jikker

09-19-2013

Hiya!

As a big lore fan and a bit of a writer myself (I love writing lores and judgments for my champ concepts), can we expect more lore in the future (that doesn't necessarily involve romantic relationships) such as the return of the JoJ?

Will we be seeing more lore rewrites to fit current events and other rewrites (i.e. Yi and Wukong)?

Judgments where???? I totally wanted to see a judgment for Lucian.

On a scale of 1-10, how awesome and fascinating will 116's lore be? Can you give us a hint besides the songs?

Also, from what I've read...are you responsible for the Lux x Ezreal relationship? Cause frankly I think Ez deserves someone better than a brainwashed Demacian soldier that's probably like five years older than him... (sorry, I'm a bit defensive of my fav champ )

LifeSmash

09-19-2013

"Eve is Senna"--good idea, or best idea?

FromTXwithLove

09-19-2013

How do you like living in California after growing up in Texas?
What's your favorite food and drink?
Which Rioter has the coolest car / bike / scooter / jetpack / whatever in the parking lot?

Neo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-19-2013

Holy **** a FFT lover.

Ransom

Creative Designer

09-19-2013
22 of 39 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samflash3 View Post
Whoa dude. You wrote some story from Mercenaries? I loved that game when I was younger.

You mentioned something about cofounding a gaming company. How did you start?

Did you ever get hooked to a game that you forgot your responsibilities?
Yup. Did some level design on Mercs 1, and developed the outline for Mercs 2's story, including the villain, the recruiting subplot, and the revenge motivation.

We basically gathered a bunch of game developers who were laid off from their jobs, joined forces, drew up some game pitches, and convinced a publisher to give us a small budget. Anytime a game studio closes, it's the perfect time to convince some dudes to collaborate on a small indie project. They've got free time, and they don't want to work for a big company for a while!

I pretty much played all of Half Life 1 in one sitting. Forgot to eat, forgot to sleep. My mom was sooooo mad at me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solagnas View Post
Do you have any plans to put together anything like a League of Legends story mode, or campaign? Even if no plans exist, is this something you would like to see in the future of LoL?
Of course this is something I'd love to see in the future of LoL! You have no idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liq View Post
Why are Zac and Twitch friends? Like How did this alliance come to be?
They have a lot in common. They were both the results of science gone awry, and they are both generally happy dudes. As for how they met, you'll have to ask Harrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labcown View Post
Alright based on the clues given, I have a guess as to what 116 might be!
I love reading the speculation of our fans. Sometimes you guys come up with stuff that blows us away, and makes us say, "I wish I had thought of that." There was this one guy who suspected that the person who slaughtered Tryndamere's tribe was Tryndamere himself in some sort of frenzied amnesiac state. Freaking awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evelynn Butt View Post
How hard is it to wait for everyone to see the work you did on the next champion?

I could care less about what her deal is, I just want to imagine you sitting there biting your lip fidgeting in your seat every time there's a question, typing out a single word and then jamming on the delete key, going "no, no, I can't..."
This is exactly what happens. I self-censor myself all the time, to prevent Riot from releasing the hounds. But mostly because I don't want to spoil the awesomeness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatedTitan View Post
Do you ever feel constrained by the game in telling story? For instance, one of the justifications behind the (IMO) horrid change to Trundle was the opportunity to tell more story. To terribly skew a Runaan quote "Imagine if Trundle turned against the Queen and killed her to take over the Freljord?" Questions like this just seem pointless and impossible to answer because that would mean the deletion of a Champion, which we all know won't happen...at least not completely (RIP Trundle). So do you ever feel constrained in your story telling due to these limitations of not being able to continue that story?
Yup, all the time. The world of Runeterra is really complicated and has a lot of history. I can't just write any old story unless it fits in the universe. One of my biggest frustrations when I first started working here was pitching a new champion, only to be told that the story I wanted to write was already in the game in some form I didn't like. So yeah - it's pretty difficult, if not impossible, to conceive of a story in which a champion dies. And that's a big limitation. But no different than what Marvel and DC go through with their superheroes. I mean - do you ever think Batman is going to die?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roberick View Post
I'm not sure if this was asked before, and you'll probably gloss over it, but when are champions with outdated backstories getting fixed? I mean Maokai, Brand and Nocturne, whose lores don't make any sense right now since the places in their lore are no longer the same.
We're working on it, but I don't have a timeline for you. Generally speaking, most of the "broken" things about our lore are being worked on. But we want to take the time to do them properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterMax010 View Post
Question for you ransom ive played renekton for a long time now and find that hes probly my best champ but were he sits as far as the lore goes is it in the right place like i undertand that hes brothers with nasus but is there more to it then that..?
I love Renekton, too! You guys can safely assume that we are generally working behind the scenes to move the stories of your favorite champion forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveSparkle View Post
Can we please just admit the new champion is called Seven yet?

Riot PLS. I need this champion.
If you're betting her name is Seven, well... don't go out and spend that money yet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solari Eclipse View Post
On a separate note, what time of the year was it for your journey across Spain? DId you get to participate in any cultural events going on at the time? Running of the Bulls, any of the like spring festivals, etc?
The best time to walk across Spain, weather-wise, is early May. I saw a funeral, explored remote villages and had meals with the locals, and I actually did walk through Pamplona, but it was not time for the bulls yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDS Spoderman View Post
will you be at worlds ?
What kind of question is this!? Of course I'll be there. Wouldn't miss it!

Tyrannus0

09-19-2013

Will we ever get any kind of replacement for the JoJ or something similar?

The community is ravenous for story, and we can't seem enough. As nice as the little sneak previews are, we're still always hungry afterwards.

Also, what was you longest streak of writer's block? What broke it?

Wintermallz

09-19-2013

Using my leet detective skills, id say you worked at Pandemic Studios prior to working at Riot. Not only did they do the mercenaries games, but they also did battlefront 1 and 2. Since you said you worked on one Star wars game, id say you did BF2 (which wasted alot of my time as a kid thank you very much), as that was released just prior to Mercs 1. Also i have deduced that your name is Matthew Colville. You did the writing for Mercs 1 and 2, and did Design for #1. I cant find your name anywhere in the credits for BF2 or BF1 though, so i guess you joined really late into development.

Am I a little close on any of this?

PteraBite

09-19-2013

So will we get a name or a face on #116 before the end of the month?

Izzabelle

09-19-2013

Is the newest champion being held because of the Championship at all? or will her release be unhindered and only subject to typical PBE testing?

Also -- what can you say about her release skin? Or... what song could you give us that you best think fits her release skin?